Site Sponsors

Thread: Thoughts on Sigma AML-1. Worth buying?

Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts on Sigma AML-1. Worth buying?

I've been intrigued by the portrait quality of the AML-1. I'm well aware of the fact this is not a macro lens (20cm is far from macro ) But having a nice sharp close-up lens would be a welcome addition in my opinion.

I'm curious if anyone has used it and what are your thoughts on it?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thoughts on Sigma AML-1. Worth buying?

Quote Originally Posted by agoglanian View Post
    I've been intrigued by the portrait quality of the AML-1. I'm well aware of the fact this is not a macro lens (20cm is far from macro ) But having a nice sharp close-up lens would be a welcome addition in my opinion.

I'm curious if anyone has used it and what are your thoughts on it?
    I do have the AML-1, but for more versatility, I bought a 46 to 52mm adapter and a set of 52mm close-up lenses (I think they're Hoya). I don't have them in front of my right now, but I think I got +1, +2, +3, and +5. You can use them all at the same time if you want, or mix them up. It's a lot of fun, and the results can be quite spectacular.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I'm giving it a run anyways. I really liked the OOF areas, it looked very pleasing, much like my 50mm f/1.2L

But I will keep an eye out for some other closeup filters (I may even have some laying around at home! Haha.) Thanks for the tip!

Post Thanks / Like

I have recently made some tests with the Hoya close up set...but I was holding them near the DP1 instead of using the adapter:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6176

Post Thanks / Like

I've used the AML-1 in combination with Tiffen +4, +2, and +1 closeup lenses. The more you stack them, the narrower the focus becomes (cool for OOF effects). If you want more depth of focus, you can always mount the camera on a tripod and shoot a long exposure with the lens stopped down. Either way, as Bill mentioned, the results can be spectacular.

Bill Wilby

Here is a link to an article I have been working on about the DP1 and close focus lenses. There are a few mistakes but I am having a software issue and can't correct them. I am having trouble with the link, you can check my site and look under articles. Thanks Bill