The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A few low light F200EXR snaps

Amin

Just received my Fuji F200EXR two days ago and haven't made any good photos with it yet, but my early impressions are very positive. I leave it on 400% DR, because 800% DR increases shadow noise quite a bit. The S/N mode lowers noise at the expense of DR, and I'd rather have the DR. Here are a few low light, in-camera B&W snaps of my 5 year old son Oliver:

1/13s, ISO 1600, f/5.1, 140mm (equiv):

1/20s, ISO 1600 f/4.6, 100mm (equiv):

1/10s, ISO 1600 f/4.4, 80mm (equiv):

M

Michaela N.

For 1600 they are pretty ok considering the camera.

there is no reason to compare it to DP1, LX3 or G10 for it's a totally different camera, it's an original point and shoot.... no manual anything just point and shoot and get the best image available..... and it's very good at what it's supposed to do!

I like the shots.... and the noise, it looks like grain doesn't it

Amin

Thanks Michaela. Yes, I like the balance Fuji has struck between noise and noise reduction. The noise has a fairly organic appearance, and there is more detail preserved compared with the more watercolor-like approach with the F31.

These are real worst case scenario snaps, ISO 1600, 1/10s in low incandescent light!

M

Michaela N.

Nope, I was wrong, after looking at the this picture for quite a while, which in my opinion you should always do looking at images (if they are good enough that is), this image is very good....

It displays the kids emotions, concentration in a great facvial expression captured by a camera which van obviously do this well at 1600 iso.

Ans obviously you could of caught this with a Nikon d3 and it would be more perfect (grain-wise) but more boring too.....

Amin

Thanks Michaela.

I took this midday yesterday while the kids were playing in the park. None of my previous small sensor compacts could have gotten this much shadow detail without blowing the highlights:

Martin S

Amin

Do u leave the camera in DR mode all the time??

How are the regular hi resolution shots, and the low light modes?? How fast does the second shot fire after the first?? Any artifacts due to the unusual shape of the binned pixels??

Do u plan to compare the Fuji to the Ricoh CX-1, or the Sony HX-1 which also have some enhanced low light, and DR modes??

Martin

Amin

Hi Martin,

So far, I've been leeaving the camera in DR mode all the time and haven't tested the high resolution or low light modes very much except to check how much DR is lost. Haven't noticed any unusual artifacts.

I'm not sure what you mean about how fast the second shot fires after the first. As far as I can tell, it's just one shot, but half the pixels are read out early in the course of the shot.

No specific plans to compare the Fuji to those other two cameras, but I most likely will get around to testing this camera against some other compacts.

Amin

Sorry for all the "photo unavailable" frames above. I decided to do some rearranging in Flickr. Here's one from today with my boys taking photos of one another in a coffee shop:

Martin S

Amin

I thought that for DR shots, the camera actually takes 2 x 6 mpxl shots, and integrates the two to increase the DR. I wondered if there was any apparent delay in the shooting between the two frames???

Martin

Amin

Martin, it just takes the one shot but reads out half the pixels early in the exposure.

Amin

mazor

Martin S, To my knowledge it is said there is two sets of 6MP pixels which can be used to make a 12MP high resolution image, or a combined mode which essentially makes each pixel bigger to allow for better capture of light, or DR mode, which takes two 6MP images simultaneously at the same exposure, but with the different sets of pixels set at different amplification. ie one set taken with sensitivity higher and the other taken at sensitivity lower, then combined to get a DR image.

So essentially there should be no delay between shooting between the high and low sensitivity frames.

MAzor