The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GW1 - What are your thoughts?

Lili

Vladimir,
That is soo cool.
Some of that foliage looks almost tropical.
Also, is that new chair just inside the door?
Is this Church still in use?

M

Mitch Alland

Lewis:

I think that the GW1 is of astounding quality, at least given my former prejudice against add-on lenses. I've not yet used it with the GRD2, but here are a few GRD/GW1 pictures. I should also say that I had a prejudice against "super-wide" lenses because of the "arificial" space that they can create with their perspective, but in using the GW1 I found that I like the look I got when I could "close off" the space in the back plane of the picture, as I've done in all except the second pciture below.

—Mitch/Bangkok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/

simonclivehughes

I do believe that the hood will help when shooting into the sun and otherwise will also give increased contrast and a small bit of protection for the lens and so I always use it.
I'm not entirely sure I understand this statement (especially with your example picture). If you are shooting into the sun, what can the hood possibly do? IME, a hood is to stop the sun's oblique rays from hitting the lens and causing flare.

V

VladimirV

Lili, the church is more a park where people go for lunch so they have benches to sit and relax. Some of the plants look a bit tropical to me, too, but I don't know anything about plants so can't say for sure.

H

helgipelgi

That's exactly the kind of photo you see in camera brochures, except for the highlights perhaps but you know what I mean. Beautiful showcase for the Ricoh.

I'm this close to pulling the trigger on one of these things. Got all my justifications lined up and ready to go

Robert Campbell

Lili, the church is more a park where people go for lunch so they have benches to sit and relax. Some of the plants look a bit tropical to me, too, but I don't know anything about plants so can't say for sure.
Can you tell us where? - the pic is delightful.

V

VladimirV

Thank you all for your comments. The first picture I posted with the 21mm lens is a jpg with minimal PP like some slight highlight recovery and sharpening applied. The 2nd shot has no PP other than minor level adjustment to it and is again a jpg. I am sure with the RAW files I could get more out of the images.
Since this church is quite popular I will upload a fe more pictures to give you a better overview of it and start a new thread for it this evening.

Here is more information and a map to where the church is: http://www.gardenvisit.com/garden/st_dunstan_in_the_east_church_garden

It is pretty much hidden away from the main road and between some higher buildings.

V

veriwide

I'm not entirely sure I understand this statement (especially with your example picture). If you are shooting into the sun, what can the hood possibly do? IME, a hood is to stop the sun's oblique rays from hitting the lens and causing flare.
Well, of course you are right, the oblique rays are what the hood is there for. I posted that shot because I thought that even though there is considerable flare in the picture it is still very good considering the extreme conditions the shot was taken under. I have owned quite a few wide angle lenses that might not have fared as well.

I do believe that the lens hood will have added - or should I say subtracted something from that shot. I would liken it to the effect that football players and the like are after when they layer blackened charcoal under their eyes to deaden the glare from the sun.

Maybe I'm right and maybe I'm wrong, but I for one will not shoot without the hood on for that reason alone, that and the added security of some rubber protecting the front lens element. Years ago I had a just purchased 21mm Super Angulon fly off of my M4 and bounce on the pavement in front of me. The hood took the brunt of the fall and the lens was back in business with just a minor adjustment.

Cheers

Bernard

L

Lewis

mitch: thanks for your comments. I'm starting to get the hang it now too, its good for tube train photo's (examples to come)! By the way I really like your shots/style-i find it very inspirational:)
lewis

simonclivehughes

Maybe I'm right and maybe I'm wrong, but I for one will not shoot without the hood on for that reason alone, that and the added security of some rubber protecting the front lens element. Years ago I had a just purchased 21mm Super Angulon fly off of my M4 and bounce on the pavement in front of me. The hood took the brunt of the fall and the lens was back in business with just a minor adjustment.
Bernard,

You're absolutely right on this aspect of it, but I fear that Ricoh's flimsy rubber hoods wouldn't afford all that much protection.

Will

Taken with GRD1 a few hours ago. Old electricity supply switches in an Essex barn in England. I also took some with my GRD2 but they didn't come out anything like as well for some reason?

Will

These ones taken with the GRD2 did come out Ok. The timbers these old barns are built from often came from old war ships, so it isn't beyond possibility that some of this barn was at the battle of Trafalgar!

jpg

RAW conversion