Site Sponsors

Thread: GW1 - What are your thoughts?

Lewis

GW1 - What are your thoughts?

I took delivery of the GH1 and GW1 today. Managed to scoop one up on ebay for a good price. Its very well constructed and seems nice and solid on the camera. It's a little fiddly having to pry off the rubber hood whenever you wish to replace the lens cap, but I can live with that. As always, a few photo's. The third shot is a little OOF but you get the idea of how wide it is. Post your own examples here as well, as i'd like to see what other people have created with theirs.

Thanks,

Lewis

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: GW1 - What are your thoughts?

I love mine and use it quite a bit, when sheer portability does not matter.

I HATE the hood, it is very hard to install straight and causes vignetting if not straight.
    Fortunately the GW-1 seems little prone to flare.

Even with direct sunlight on lens, there are only a few artifacts.

Lewis

Those are cool shots. Mine seem blurry in comparison? What sort of focusing do you use etc?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Those are cool shots. Mine seem blurry in comparison? What sort of focusing do you use etc?
    Lewis, thank you
    Hmmm, I use Multi-Spot, depressing half-way to achieve lock.
    Mine were in brilliant morning light, at 1/143 and f4.5 and 1/310 at f5 respectively. ISO 64.
    Indoors, like your shots were likely at larger apertures and longer exposures.
    Much hard to get sharp then.
    Nice candids tho.
    Dang thats a big bottle of soy sauce

Lewis

Ok thanks! Lol @ the soy sauce-my Dad can't get enough of the stuff!

VladimirV

The 21mm lens is indeed very well constructed and is a solid fit with the camera. I do not use the rubber hood as I do not see the point and it would make it bigger.

Here are a few pictures:

Post Thanks / Like

Just a test shot poking the camera out the door to my garden. I don't like the lens hood either.

LotC

I use the GW-1 as standard. It is one of the reasons I bought the GR-DII, the angle of view is similar to the 43mm lens I use for more serious work on 6x7 medium format.

From the outset, I have been very pleased with the combination. I have not been able to see any detrimental effect on image quality between using the GW-1 and not using it.

The rubber hood is badly designed in that you have to fiddle with it to push the lenscap on. I just push it back down the GH-1. It's probably more convenient not to bother with the hood, but I dislike shooting any camera without an adequate hood on the lens so I'm resigned to fiddling unless some better solution comes along.

Lewis

I'm the same! I push it down the GH1 for now-it's a pain though but never mind... Unless you can get hold of a smaller 'pop on' lens cap you're stuck.

jsb

To: Lili, VladimirV, and Will... Can you tell us more about these pics you posted here? JPEG or RAW, and if possible any EXIF information? That would be great! Thank much, in advance...

jon

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I am absolutely loving the photos in this thread!

The GR-D II G.A.S. is back.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jsb View Post
    To: Lili, VladimirV, and Will... Can you tell us more about these pics you posted here? JPEG or RAW, and if possible any EXIF information? That would be great! Thank much, in advance...

jon
    JSB,
    Mine were JPEGS, all modifications done iin Camera, no PP'ing.
    I think I gave the exposures, they were both -7/10ev as well, moderate sharpness, highest color saturation.

veriwide

I think that the GW-1 is an absolute steal! Where else can you pick up such a high quality wide angle lens for so little money? I also think it is a brilliant design in how well it performs with hardly any barrel distortion.

As for the lens hood.. well, when have you owned a 21mm lens with a smaller hood? It is a wee bit finicky to put on and off, but well worth the effort. A built in retractable lens hood would be really marvelous, but... so be it. I do believe that the hood will help when shooting into the sun and otherwise will also give increased contrast and a small bit of protection for the lens and so I always use it.

Here it is in action shooting right into the sun !

Cheers

Veriwide

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post
    I am absolutely loving the photos in this thread!

The GR-D II G.A.S. is back.
    The Ricoh Devil is at your shoulder, Maggie

heh

Thank you for the compliments!

It is gorgeous here, sadly i'm so not going out yet to shoot, still sick

Sunday, yessss Sunday. We'll take The Preciouss out Sunday....

LotC

Small & lightweight even with the GW-1. A backpackers dream!

Lose Hill in the Peak District:

Sun

Ya I like what I'm seeing.. the wide glass definitely gives way to lots of creativity.
    Will.. that bench shot has a v. interesting 3D Pop effect..
    Vlad.. where did you take that last shot.. beautiful location!

Keep 'em coming..

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, I like that 3d effect. I think it was the bright winter sun on the slightly orange table making it stand out against the grass. Maybe something to do with lens as well since it doesn't happen so much on a 28mm shot I took at the same time.

JSB mine was a jpg, shutter 270, ap f/5.6 ISO 80 and with a bit of levels in CS2 to bring out the detail in the dark shadows and to stop the fine branches burning out into the sky.

VladimirV

My pictures are all GRD jpgs and aside from the last window pic straight out of the camera. The last image has slight PP done to it but more to recover some highlights as I did not want to use RAW than anything else. All done in manual mode with spot focus and aperture at around f4-f5.6 with shutterspeed at around 1/25th-1/100th.

The last window shot was taken in the Church of St. Dunstan's-in-the-East, near the Tower of London. I really like the partly destroyed churches in the City as they have a calmer and warmer feel to them than normal churches, more like a Budhist temple or shrine.

If you look at my blog you can see more pictures with the wideangle lens.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VladimirV View Post
    My pictures are all GRD jpgs and aside from the last window pic straight out of the camera. The last image has slight PP done to it but more to recover some highlights as I did not want to use RAW than anything else. All done in manual mode with spot focus and aperture at around f4-f5.6 with shutterspeed at around 1/25th-1/100th.

The last window shot was taken in the Church of St. Dunstan's-in-the-East, near the Tower of London. I really like the partly destroyed churches in the City as they have a calmer and warmer feel to them than normal churches, more like a Budhist temple or shrine.

If you look at my blog you can see more pictures with the wideangle lens.
    And that Church shot is my favorite. It is very serene

VladimirV

Thanks Lili, this is another shot of it without the 21mm adapter.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Vladimir,
    That is soo cool.
    Some of that foliage looks almost tropical.
    Also, is that new chair just inside the door?
    Is this Church still in use?

Mitch Alland

Lewis:

I think that the GW1 is of astounding quality, at least given my former prejudice against add-on lenses. I've not yet used it with the GRD2, but here are a few GRD/GW1 pictures. I should also say that I had a prejudice against "super-wide" lenses because of the "arificial" space that they can create with their perspective, but in using the GW1 I found that I like the look I got when I could "close off" the space in the back plane of the picture, as I've done in all except the second pciture below.

—Mitch/Bangkok
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by veriwide View Post
    I do believe that the hood will help when shooting into the sun and otherwise will also give increased contrast and a small bit of protection for the lens and so I always use it.
    I'm not entirely sure I understand this statement (especially with your example picture). If you are shooting into the sun, what can the hood possibly do? IME, a hood is to stop the sun's oblique rays from hitting the lens and causing flare.

VladimirV

Lili, the church is more a park where people go for lunch so they have benches to sit and relax. Some of the plants look a bit tropical to me, too, but I don't know anything about plants so can't say for sure.

helgipelgi

That's exactly the kind of photo you see in camera brochures, except for the highlights perhaps but you know what I mean. Beautiful showcase for the Ricoh.

I'm this close to pulling the trigger on one of these things. Got all my justifications lined up and ready to go

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lili, the church is more a park where people go for lunch so they have benches to sit and relax. Some of the plants look a bit tropical to me, too, but I don't know anything about plants so can't say for sure.
    Can you tell us where? - the pic is delightful.
    Sláinte

Robert.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Vladimir, was this JPEG or RAW? Any PP?
    It is awesome

VladimirV

Thank you all for your comments. The first picture I posted with the 21mm lens is a jpg with minimal PP like some slight highlight recovery and sharpening applied. The 2nd shot has no PP other than minor level adjustment to it and is again a jpg. I am sure with the RAW files I could get more out of the images.
    Since this church is quite popular I will upload a fe more pictures to give you a better overview of it and start a new thread for it this evening.

Here is more information and a map to where the church is: http://www.gardenvisit.com/garden/st..._church_garden

It is pretty much hidden away from the main road and between some higher buildings.

veriwide

Quote Originally Posted by simonclivehughes View Post
    I'm not entirely sure I understand this statement (especially with your example picture). If you are shooting into the sun, what can the hood possibly do? IME, a hood is to stop the sun's oblique rays from hitting the lens and causing flare.
    Well, of course you are right, the oblique rays are what the hood is there for. I posted that shot because I thought that even though there is considerable flare in the picture it is still very good considering the extreme conditions the shot was taken under. I have owned quite a few wide angle lenses that might not have fared as well.

I do believe that the lens hood will have added - or should I say subtracted something from that shot. I would liken it to the effect that football players and the like are after when they layer blackened charcoal under their eyes to deaden the glare from the sun.

Maybe I'm right and maybe I'm wrong, but I for one will not shoot without the hood on for that reason alone, that and the added security of some rubber protecting the front lens element. Years ago I had a just purchased 21mm Super Angulon fly off of my M4 and bounce on the pavement in front of me. The hood took the brunt of the fall and the lens was back in business with just a minor adjustment.

Cheers

Bernard

Lewis

mitch: thanks for your comments. I'm starting to get the hang it now too, its good for tube train photo's (examples to come)! By the way I really like your shots/style-i find it very inspirational
    lewis

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by veriwide View Post
    Maybe I'm right and maybe I'm wrong, but I for one will not shoot without the hood on for that reason alone, that and the added security of some rubber protecting the front lens element. Years ago I had a just purchased 21mm Super Angulon fly off of my M4 and bounce on the pavement in front of me. The hood took the brunt of the fall and the lens was back in business with just a minor adjustment.
    Bernard,

You're absolutely right on this aspect of it, but I fear that Ricoh's flimsy rubber hoods wouldn't afford all that much protection.

Post Thanks / Like

Taken with GRD1 a few hours ago. Old electricity supply switches in an Essex barn in England. I also took some with my GRD2 but they didn't come out anything like as well for some reason?

Post Thanks / Like

These ones taken with the GRD2 did come out Ok. The timbers these old barns are built from often came from old war ships, so it isn't beyond possibility that some of this barn was at the battle of Trafalgar!

jpg

RAW conversion

Lewis

Those look great-love the tones!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Will,
    Very good!!!! Thise timber do look old enough for Trafalgar!