The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sean's G9 Review

Robert Campbell

The core difference for me, lies in generalizability...

The danger reviewers must be wary of, and some are not as wary as they should be, lies in assuming that's one's impressions of a camera, lens, etc. will generalize to many or all photographers. That's mistaken. So there need to be touchstones that are as objective, as possible, as well.

Cheers,

Sean
Sean,

I quite agree with you. If you were to look at reviews in some of the german photo mags, you would see points for various attributes given to two places of decimals - but for all its apparent objectivity, this is also quite subjective in say points for 'image quality' or 'handling'.

I would far prefer to read of a reviewer's 'gut feelings' and then their report - I would feel that a real person had written the review.

S

Sean_Reid

Hi Bertie,

There's a widespread acceptance, it seems, of the illusion that is something is expressed in numbers, it must be objective. I always find this troubling because it overlooks the fact that before there can be numbers assigned to anything, there must be assumptions and those assumptions can be not only subjective but also, often, misguided. I hold with Voltaire:

"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd."

Cheers,

Sean

kai.e.g.

Meanwhile, I hear the sound of biting tongues... was my crazy brainstorm about morphing control wheels too outlandish even for here? :bugeyes:

Lili

Sean very informative review, as always.
I liked also your link to Neville's review at Luminous Landscape.
Not many reviewers would give such a link and you are to be commended.
"Fair and Balanced'; like a certain news organization claims.
In your case very accurate :)