The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New LX3.

E

ellemand

Hi everyone.

I've been away for a while, but I'm back :)

Couldn't resist the new LX3 - so here it comes:
a few pics from my first days with the little wonder.

Thank you for your time.
Ellemand.

A

Abbazz

Wow, impressive images. Thanks for posting them.

Cheers!

Abbazz

E

ellemand

Hi Abbazz.
Thank you very much for the kind reply.
I'm glad, you liked them.

Cheers
Ellemand

W

wbrandsma

Welcome back Ellemand and these are great looking photographs (as usual). Thank you for sharing. How do you think the LX3 compares or differ to the GRD and DP1?

E

ellemand

Hi Wouter.
Thanks for your kind comment.
The LX3 works allright as an allround camera. IQ is as good as my GRD's -maybe a little better, but the GRD's has better handling and are faster in general use - ex. in the streets - and they fits better in the pocket.
The DP1 has an outstanding IQ, but it is soooo slow. It was to slow for my use, so I ended up selling it. I'm considering the DP2 - but only if it's faster than the DP1 - only time will tell.
The LX3 is a very nice camera - it works very well - especially if you have enough time.
Thank you for looking.

Ellemand

Robert Campbell

Very impressive.
Are the machines also called 'Billetautomat' in Denmark? I thought this name was
a typical Swiss mixture of french and german.

E

ellemand

Hi to all of you.
Thanks for the nice comments.
I Always shoot RAW. I only have Photoshop CS3, so I convert via Adobe DNG-converter - not the best solution, but it works all-right.
Robert - yes the name is "billetautomat" in Denmark, I thougt it was typical Danish?
I'm so happy, you all liked the photos - so here you get two more.

Have a nice weekend.
Ellemand.

W

wbrandsma

Hi Wouter.
Thanks for your kind comment.
The LX3 works allright as an allround camera. IQ is as good as my GRD's -maybe a little better, but the GRD's has better handling and are faster in general use - ex. in the streets - and they fits better in the pocket.
The DP1 has an outstanding IQ, but it is soooo slow. It was to slow for my use, so I ended up selling it. I'm considering the DP2 - but only if it's faster than the DP1 - only time will tell.
The LX3 is a very nice camera - it works very well - especially if you have enough time.
Thank you for looking.

Ellemand
Thank you Ellemand. The Ricoh handling remains unbeatable, but IQ wise? I personally still prefer the GX100 over the GX200. I have thought often about selling the Ricoh and buying the LX3. I have some limited experience with the DP1 and I understand why you sold it, but I believe the IQ is one of the best.

And the CS3+DNG converter really seems to work for you. I really like it.

B

Bob Yanal

I Always shoot RAW. I only have Photoshop CS3, so I convert via Adobe DNG-converter - not the best solution, but it works all-right.
On my Mac, the only software that will open/develop the LX3 raw files is the copy of SilkyPix which came with the camera. You seem to be able to open them in CS3.

Last edited:
W

wbrandsma

Hi Bob,

Ellemand uses the latest Adobe DNG converter to convert the LX3 raw files to dng raw files. See here.

iiiNelson

On my Mac, the only software that will open/develop the LX3 raw files is the copy of SilkyPix which came with the camera. You seem to be able to open them in CS3.
You can also use CS4, ACR 5.2, and Lightroom 2.2 or later on addition to Silkypix on Mac.

iiiNelson

Unfortunately, I don't have CS4, ACR, or Lightroom. I have Aperture, and even more unfortunately, Aperture doesn't recognize LX3 raw files.

PS. I've posted some LX3 shots of Puerto Rico here:

http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/browseimages.php?do=member&imageuser=346
Yeah I feel your pain. I invested in LR 2 for the very same reason. It's worth it IMO even though Aperture does a lot of the same things. I don't think it's worth $300 but if you're a student or have one in your house you can normally find it for about $100 give or take which is a fair price for the program IMO.

scott

Does anyone know if Capture 4 will process the LX3 raw photos? If not, I am wondering why, since isn't the DLUX 4 basically the same camera.

Thanks,

Scott

iiiNelson

There's a different file extension for the LX3 and D-Lux 4. There was a work around posted here in the past in a thread started by Guy Mancuso I believe. You should search for it. The only RAW processors that will handle both are the Adobe products at this moment.