The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GRDII vs. G9 (vs. LX2) - a couple of questions

Maggie O

Looking at that crop Simon, I think you've hit on it- to me it looks like chroma noise, all mooshed together at the limits of lens/sensor resolution.

S

simon_t

Looking at that crop Simon, I think you've hit on it- to me it looks like chroma noise, all mooshed together at the limits of lens/sensor resolution.
The problem is that it cannot really be an issue of spatial resolution, because the bricks in the brighter parts of the building look just fine. It's something that's done by the sensor and/or processing at lower signal levels, be it quantization, noise, or something else...

S

simon_t

Many thanks to all of you for addressing my questions. This weekend I have bought the GRDII.

I am very impressed by the handling of this camera. In some ways, it's better thought out than my DSLR and it's *much* faster/better than my old Canon S45. Plus, it's a lot smaller than both. During my initial tests, I sometimes missed being able to zoom, but being forced to use the wide-angle has already triggered me to take a few unusual shots as well.

Anyway, I'm having fun :) Here's one from this morning on the way to work. Shot in RAW and processed in Lightroom.

W

wbrandsma

Congratulations Simon with your GRD2. Where did you make this beautiful photo in the Netherlands? It doesn't look like Gelderland to me where I live. I hope you will enjoy your Ricoh a lot!

S

simon_t

Thank you, Wouter. The photo was in the eastern outskirts of Amsterdam. At first it seems a little rural, but if you look closely you can see the A10 highway crossing the Amsterdam-Rijnkanaal in the distance, and the crane on the right is only one of many - not to mention the cars. The area is heavily being developed.