The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

choreography class

R

Ranger 9

Being a dance person, I liked the pictures and the emphasis on the students' different expressions and body language -- but they don't really look "infrared" at all. A little grainy and noisy, yes, but that's routine when shooting active subjects in poor light.

Am I missing something, or did I misunderstand what you meant by "a version of G6 infrared color," or what?

smokysun

what i've learned in the past few days is that infrared filters come in various strengths. at 665mm only part of the color is blocked and you can process the files as color or black and white. true, the infrared factor not very strong in these. however, going up in strength to 830mm more color blocked and the black and white becomes more luminous, what we typically think of infrared.

look at the threads 'the last five years' and 'you see strange things with infrared' to see other ways of processing these same files. and in 'bamboo' you see the effect approaching the traditional infrared.

here's a landscape previously posted, taken with a converted dslr. here the filter obviously stronger. and the file has very little color to speak of.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited:

smokysun

hi david,
i hope i answered this above, except to say in the color versions the colors are saturated and 'off'. the off effect is fairly subtle yet i think is there. the colors more vibrant and definitely not copies of the reality.
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

ps. to clarify. this is not true infrared, which depends upon heat-sensing. this is limiting the spectrum of light.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Wayne,
Try some flash with the IR....you may find it interesting...
speaking from experience....I spent about 3 years in the early to mid
70's with an
M4 loaded with IR and did everything with it....
then one day I didn't anymore....
But I turned out a hell of a body of work....

D

ddk

hi david,
i hope i answered this above, except to say in the color versions the colors are saturated and 'off'. the off effect is fairly subtle yet i think is there. the colors more vibrant and definitely not copies of the reality.
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

ps. to clarify. this is not true infrared, which depends upon heat-sensing. this is limiting the spectrum of light.
I'm looking at your explanation and assumed that you have a converted camera. In my experienced even 665nm conversions wont render colors realistically without a filter on the lens. Is this what you did here because the tones and colors are typical Canon's? If not how were they processed to look natural with a converted camera?

(Edited addition) I'm trying to understand why this isn't true IR, heat sensing IR is a different thing and not pertinent here, you shouldn't get these colors with 630nm and above filters, wether its on the sensor or the lens, that's why I'm curious about these images.

what i've learned in the past few days is that infrared filters come in various strengths. at 665mm only part of the color is blocked and you can process the files as color or black and white. true, the infrared factor not very strong in these. however, going up in strength to 830mm more color blocked and the black and white becomes more luminous, what we typically think of infrared.

Last edited:

smokysun

hi david,
you know, i don't know what i did! but i did it in lightroom 2.3. here are five untreated negatives converted from raw. same camera, different lighting conditions. it's a converted camera, however i'm not sure what filter.
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited:
D

ddk

hi david,
you know, i don't know what i did! but i did it in lightroom 2.3. here are five untreated negatives converted from raw. same camera, different lighting conditions. it's a converted camera, however i'm not sure what filter.
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp
Thanks for the images Wayne, 4 & 5 look like typical IR shots but I would have never guessed that 2 & 3 were too. I might be wrong but I have a feeling that this is one of those dual purpose conversions with a 300nm-400nm range filter that you can shoot ir and normal light with the addition of filters on the lens.

smokysun

hi david,
i wrote to the fellow who converted the camera and here's his reply:

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for sharing! Your G6 is a converted "Full-spectrum" camera. The factory installed ÏR cut filter (hot mirror) has been removed and replaced with a clear Hoya UV multicoated filter, this will alllow full visible light and IR light (from 200nm-1,500nm) to be projected on the sensor. Adding IR filter, ie: 665nm or 720nm will block out the visible light and only allow IR wavelengh to go though.

Keep up the good work, your pictures are amazing!

Robert

he's a toy designer/developer who got laid off and is trying to supplement his income. i defintely recommend him as having the very best prices on these cameras and a great guy to deal with:

[email protected]

no money to me, by the way. i'm merely trying to help him out, and you.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited:
D

ddk

hi david,
i wrote to the fellow who converted the camera and here's his reply:

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for sharing! Your G6 is a converted "Full-spectrum" camera. The factory installed ÏR cut filter (hot mirror) has been removed and replaced with a clear Hoya UV multicoated filter, this will alllow full visible light and IR light (from 200nm-1,500nm) to be projected on the sensor. Adding IR filter, ie: 665nm or 720nm will block out the visible light and only allow IR wavelengh to go though.

Keep up the good work, your pictures are amazing!

Robert

he's a toy designer/developer who got laid off and is trying to supplement his income. i defintely recommend him as having the very best prices on these cameras and a great guy to deal with:

[email protected]

no money to me, by the way. i'm merely trying to help him out, and you.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

That's what I thought its a full spectrum conversion just not with a clear filter. Which means that for true IR photography you still need to use a filter on the lens, otherwise you're really shooting full spectrum light with some IR leakage depending on the circumstances, like the lemon orchard. Is this the kind of conversion that you wanted?

smokysun

well, i do have to admit an initial ignorance. since buying this one, i've sent a d-lux 2 (panasonic lx1) to precision camera for a specific conversion to 715. and impulsively, i bid on a converted 5d (830 i think it is) and won it. i'm poorer, yet looking forward to it's arrival. (i need another camera like i need a hole in the head.) it has a great reputation as an ir camera. thanks for the questions! it's helped clear up the mystery for me.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

D

ddk

well, i do have to admit an initial ignorance. since buying this one, i've sent a d-lux 2 (panasonic lx1) to precision camera for a specific conversion to 715. and impulsively, i bid on a converted 5d (830 i think it is) and won it. i'm poorer, yet looking forward to it's arrival. (i need another camera like i need a hole in the head.) it has a great reputation as an ir camera. thanks for the questions! it's helped clear up the mystery for me.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

There's always a learning curve with new things, it can be a pleasant experience with an open mind. Your wallet might be poorer but you'll be richer, enjoy the ride!

smokysun

here are the first shots from the converted 5d that arrived today. just from walking around the compound (co-housing). worked on them a bit but didn't change the color that came from the raw raw.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited: