The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sea Ice -- from the cheap seats

scott kirkpatrick

I've never seen this before, but it helps to have a camera with raw capability (to get the color back to what your eyes do for you) in your pocket. GR-D2 from seat 40K over the Straits of Belle Isle. There are two engines pumping out blur filter gases, but this didn't seem to have much effect.

The original sized jpeg is here.

scott

Mitchell

Nice ice. Where is Belle Isle?
There is a book of images all shot from commercial planes. The author recommends shooting wide open to blur the window. With our small sensor cameras this is hard, but we can also use the window as part of the image instead.

Best,

Mitchell

Lili

Scott,
Lovely shot!
Shooting from Airliner windows is fascinating but not always easy

scott kirkpatrick

Nice ice. Where is Belle Isle?
There is a book of images all shot from commercial planes. The author recommends shooting wide open to blur the window. With our small sensor cameras this is hard, but we can also use the window as part of the image instead.

Best,

Mitchell
My best guess of the location is close to where the northern tip of Newfoundland comes close to the Labrador mainland and eastern Quebec, off the mouth of the St Lawrence. A little further along you reach Prince Edward Island, which reminds me of New Jersey. I didn't realize they have such an arctic winter up there. Maine was also iced up on this trip. I used f/4 for these, since that gives the highest resolution.

The book is called "Window Seat," and has some lovely images. Amazon carries it. Sitting behind the wing means looking through the jet exhaust, but at 38,000 feet in wintertime it is less of a problem. The seats ahead of the wing seem to be all business class on long flights these days.

scott

scott kirkpatrick

Scott,
Lovely shot!
Shooting from Airliner windows is fascinating but not always easy
I'm intrigued by the angles in your shot. Are you flying east and looking southwest or flying west and looking northeast, with the sun so high? And that's a really cheap seat -- but you don't have far to go to request another glass of wine.

scott

Lili

I'm intrigued by the angles in your shot. Are you flying east and looking southwest or flying west and looking northeast, with the sun so high? And that's a really cheap seat -- but you don't have far to go to request another glass of wine.

scott
Scott, we were flying back from Vegas,, so we're heading East and looking Southwest ;)

T

TMGraphics

I wish they made the airplane windows a bit bigger and actually 'cleaned' them! :p