The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The wait is over - the DP2 is here.

fordfanjpn

I picked up my DP2 today, but I had a rather bad day overall, and only had a few minutes to go out and grab a few quick shots. I'm hoping to get out more this weekend, but the weather report is predicting rain for the weekend, so I'm not sure if I'll make it out or not.

I put 3 shots from my lunchtime walkabout on my Flickr page. I posted full-size jpegs, FWIW, but the shots are nothing special. One is at ISO 1600. Here's the URL for my Flickr page.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fordfanjpn/

I haven't had enough time with the DP2 to say much more than that it feels significantly more responsive than the DP1, and the new Quick Menus are a major improvement. After I spend more time with it, I'll post some more comments here. If anyone has anything specific they'd like to know, feel free to ask.

Bill

Rick Waldroup

Thanks for the shots, Bill. The one at 1600 really looks promising. I can't wait until you have the time to work with it a bit more and are able to post some more shots.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Bill looking forward to a nice set of images and comments when the weather is good and you get the chance.

B

Blaugrana

Bill,

Congratulations and hopefully your new DP2 will improve your day/week/year!!! We're all looking forward to your impressions and I'd particularly like to hear how the DP2 is with your Voigtlander viewfinder (you and I have the same one). I'm thrilled for you and hopefully it'll be released in the States soon.

Dan

ecliffordsmith

Bill,

I am happy for you that your wait is over.

I will be watching this camera closely as 41mm EFOV is ideal for me.

I look forward to seeing your results and hearing your impressions.

fordfanjpn

Bill,

Congratulations and hopefully your new DP2 will improve your day/week/year!!! We're all looking forward to your impressions and I'd particularly like to hear how the DP2 is with your Voigtlander viewfinder (you and I have the same one). I'm thrilled for you and hopefully it'll be released in the States soon.

Dan
Thanks. I've been using the Voigtlander viewfinder with it right from the start and it seems to be a very good match. But I haven't checked yet to see how accurate it is. I'll do that over the weekend for sure.

Bill

MisiekBunnik

sorry to hear that the weatherfotrecast is not making any hours of outdoor photography possible.. When I view the files on original size I have to say that both on " sculpture' and the flowers, (the white flowers especially) the diagonals show a lot of ' jaggies'.. were they processed with the new versions of SPP?

I am viewing on macbook on Flickr and I am afraid it is the extra sharpening of Flickr???

Last edited:
N

nei1

Is this really how a 40mm lens looks,looks wider to me,more like a 35.

fordfanjpn

sorry to hear that the weatherfotrecast is not making any hours of outdoor photography possible.. When I view the files on original size I have to say that both on " sculpture' and the flowers, (the white flowers especially) the diagonals show a lot of ' jaggies'.. were they processed with the new versions of SPP?

I am viewing on macbook on Flickr and I am afraid it is the extra sharpening of Flickr???
That seems to have occurred in the conversion to jpeg. I reconverted it with GraphicConverter and it turned out better. I replaced the first one with the jaggies which was converted in LightRoom. I'll reconvert the other two shots too. Thanks for pointing that out.

Bill

Last edited:

fordfanjpn

Bill,

I think the most important question I have is what is the LCD like compared to the DP1?

Cheers,
My biggest complaint with the LCD was that it was useless outside on a sunny day. It's supposed to rain all day today, so I guess I won't be able to test that out today. However, it looks like it will be nice tomorrow (Sunday), so I'll plan on out going out and getting some more shots and doing some comparisons.

Bill

fordfanjpn

I just posted two more ISO 1600 shots along with B&W conversions on my Flickr page. I prefer B&W, but to each his own.

Bill

simonclivehughes

My biggest complaint with the LCD was that it was useless outside on a sunny day. It's supposed to rain all day today, so I guess I won't be able to test that out today. However, it looks like it will be nice tomorrow (Sunday), so I'll plan on out going out and getting some more shots and doing some comparisons.

Bill
Bill,

I'm guessing from your reply that the LCD is the same as the DP1 then? I, and I think many others were really expecting Sigma to put an improved LCD onto this camera. Compared to almost any other modern camera, Sigma's LCDs are simply atrocious.

Cheers,

fordfanjpn

Bill,

I'm guessing from your reply that the LCD is the same as the DP1 then? I, and I think many others were really expecting Sigma to put an improved LCD onto this camera. Compared to almost any other modern camera, Sigma's LCDs are simply atrocious.

Cheers,
To be honest, I don't really see much difference in the LCD. But I'll reserve judgment until I can get outside with it and see how it performs. In my case though, since I shoot almost exclusively with the viewfinder, and usually keep the LCD turned off, it's not really a big point for me.

Bill

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Bill,
I am prepared to do you the favor of not testing the 2 side by side....
As a friend...I will be glad to take that crappy DP2 off your hands......
just let me know....

Rick Waldroup

Thanks Bill for posting those other 1600 shots. So far I am pretty impressed with them, especially the B&W shots. I too, use Silver Efex. I could care less what the LCD is like because it would be rare when I would be using it. I never use the one on my GRDII. Anyway, keep posting shots. Thanks once again, Rick.

simonclivehughes

I could care less what the LCD is like because it would be rare when I would be using it.
I agree that an external VF is the way to go for hyperfocal shooting. The reason I'm going on about the LCD is that with the 2.8 lens, being able to judge where the focus point actually is is more difficult than the DP1. Don (Streetshooter) brought this concern up as well. An external VF is not going to be of any use in this situation. If I'm going to spring for this camera and take full advantage of the shallow DOF it provides (unlike the GRD etc) then I want to have a good enough LCD to do so. Trying to do that with Sigma's (to date) LCD is touch-and-go in low light or high light. I've not seen this question in any other DP2 threads, hence my interest.

Cheers,