Site Sponsors

Thread: The wait is over - the DP2 is here.

Post Thanks / Like

The wait is over - the DP2 is here.

I picked up my DP2 today, but I had a rather bad day overall, and only had a few minutes to go out and grab a few quick shots. I'm hoping to get out more this weekend, but the weather report is predicting rain for the weekend, so I'm not sure if I'll make it out or not.

I put 3 shots from my lunchtime walkabout on my Flickr page. I posted full-size jpegs, FWIW, but the shots are nothing special. One is at ISO 1600. Here's the URL for my Flickr page.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fordfanjpn/

I haven't had enough time with the DP2 to say much more than that it feels significantly more responsive than the DP1, and the new Quick Menus are a major improvement. After I spend more time with it, I'll post some more comments here. If anyone has anything specific they'd like to know, feel free to ask.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The wait is over - the DP2 is here.

Thanks for the shots, Bill. The one at 1600 really looks promising. I can't wait until you have the time to work with it a bit more and are able to post some more shots.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bill looking forward to a nice set of images and comments when the weather is good and you get the chance.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Blaugrana

Bill,

Congratulations and hopefully your new DP2 will improve your day/week/year!!! We're all looking forward to your impressions and I'd particularly like to hear how the DP2 is with your Voigtlander viewfinder (you and I have the same one). I'm thrilled for you and hopefully it'll be released in the States soon.

Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Bill,

I am happy for you that your wait is over.

I will be watching this camera closely as 41mm EFOV is ideal for me.

I look forward to seeing your results and hearing your impressions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blaugrana View Post
    Bill,

Congratulations and hopefully your new DP2 will improve your day/week/year!!! We're all looking forward to your impressions and I'd particularly like to hear how the DP2 is with your Voigtlander viewfinder (you and I have the same one). I'm thrilled for you and hopefully it'll be released in the States soon.

Dan
    Thanks. I've been using the Voigtlander viewfinder with it right from the start and it seems to be a very good match. But I haven't checked yet to see how accurate it is. I'll do that over the weekend for sure.

Bill

Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bill,
    You are a big tease......

Post Thanks / Like

Bill,

I think the most important question I have is what is the LCD like compared to the DP1?

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like

sorry to hear that the weatherfotrecast is not making any hours of outdoor photography possible.. When I view the files on original size I have to say that both on " sculpture' and the flowers, (the white flowers especially) the diagonals show a lot of ' jaggies'.. were they processed with the new versions of SPP?

I am viewing on macbook on Flickr and I am afraid it is the extra sharpening of Flickr???
    Last edited by MisiekBunnik; 24th April 2009 at 10:39. Reason: added the macbook/flickr info

nei1

Is this really how a 40mm lens looks,looks wider to me,more like a 35.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post
    Bill,
    You are a big tease......
    I do what I can.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MisiekBunnik View Post
    sorry to hear that the weatherfotrecast is not making any hours of outdoor photography possible.. When I view the files on original size I have to say that both on " sculpture' and the flowers, (the white flowers especially) the diagonals show a lot of ' jaggies'.. were they processed with the new versions of SPP?

I am viewing on macbook on Flickr and I am afraid it is the extra sharpening of Flickr???
    That seems to have occurred in the conversion to jpeg. I reconverted it with GraphicConverter and it turned out better. I replaced the first one with the jaggies which was converted in LightRoom. I'll reconvert the other two shots too. Thanks for pointing that out.

Bill
    Last edited by fordfanjpn; 24th April 2009 at 13:46.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nei1 View Post
    Is this really how a 40mm lens looks,looks wider to me,more like a 35.
    I'll do a comparison shot between the two cameras this weekend to try to give an idea of just how different the FOV is between them.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by simonclivehughes View Post
    Bill,

I think the most important question I have is what is the LCD like compared to the DP1?

Cheers,
    My biggest complaint with the LCD was that it was useless outside on a sunny day. It's supposed to rain all day today, so I guess I won't be able to test that out today. However, it looks like it will be nice tomorrow (Sunday), so I'll plan on out going out and getting some more shots and doing some comparisons.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I just posted two more ISO 1600 shots along with B&W conversions on my Flickr page. I prefer B&W, but to each his own.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fordfanjpn View Post
    My biggest complaint with the LCD was that it was useless outside on a sunny day. It's supposed to rain all day today, so I guess I won't be able to test that out today. However, it looks like it will be nice tomorrow (Sunday), so I'll plan on out going out and getting some more shots and doing some comparisons.

Bill
    Bill,

I'm guessing from your reply that the LCD is the same as the DP1 then? I, and I think many others were really expecting Sigma to put an improved LCD onto this camera. Compared to almost any other modern camera, Sigma's LCDs are simply atrocious.

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like

Bill,

I'm guessing from your reply that the LCD is the same as the DP1 then? I, and I think many others were really expecting Sigma to put an improved LCD onto this camera. Compared to almost any other modern camera, Sigma's LCDs are simply atrocious.

Cheers,
    To be honest, I don't really see much difference in the LCD. But I'll reserve judgment until I can get outside with it and see how it performs. In my case though, since I shoot almost exclusively with the viewfinder, and usually keep the LCD turned off, it's not really a big point for me.

Bill

Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bill,
    I am prepared to do you the favor of not testing the 2 side by side....
    As a friend...I will be glad to take that crappy DP2 off your hands......
    just let me know....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bill for posting those other 1600 shots. So far I am pretty impressed with them, especially the B&W shots. I too, use Silver Efex. I could care less what the LCD is like because it would be rare when I would be using it. I never use the one on my GRDII. Anyway, keep posting shots. Thanks once again, Rick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Waldroup View Post
    I could care less what the LCD is like because it would be rare when I would be using it.
    I agree that an external VF is the way to go for hyperfocal shooting. The reason I'm going on about the LCD is that with the 2.8 lens, being able to judge where the focus point actually is is more difficult than the DP1. Don (Streetshooter) brought this concern up as well. An external VF is not going to be of any use in this situation. If I'm going to spring for this camera and take full advantage of the shallow DOF it provides (unlike the GRD etc) then I want to have a good enough LCD to do so. Trying to do that with Sigma's (to date) LCD is touch-and-go in low light or high light. I've not seen this question in any other DP2 threads, hence my interest.

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Simon. Yes, I see your point now. As I am planning to possibly use this camera in low light situations, I can see where a good LCD would be important, especially concerning a shallow DOF.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Simon see my post on the hoodloupe & arca swiss plate

Simon,

My post might be of some use in this regard, this combo is very effective it seems to me and not hard to use.

bbodine9

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that an external VF is the way to go for hyperfocal shooting. The reason I'm going on about the LCD is that with the 2.8 lens, being able to judge where the focus point actually is is more difficult than the DP1. Don (Streetshooter) brought this concern up as well. An external VF is not going to be of any use in this situation. If I'm going to spring for this camera and take full advantage of the shallow DOF it provides (unlike the GRD etc) then I want to have a good enough LCD to do so. Trying to do that with Sigma's (to date) LCD is touch-and-go in low light or high light. I've not seen this question in any other DP2 threads, hence my interest.

Cheers,
    Simon,

That's an excellent point, and I'm afraid that it will be a point of contention for some people. All the shots I posted were done with AF, but I did try MF when I was showing the camera to a friend, and I can tell you that trying to do so on the LCD is not easy. I don't think it will be a problem for close up stuff, but using it out on the street will be no easier, or maybe even harder than with the DP1. This is something I'll definitely try tomorrow, assuming the rain stops.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post
    Bill,
    I am prepared to do you the favor of not testing the 2 side by side....
    As a friend...I will be glad to take that crappy DP2 off your hands......
    just let me know....
    Wow Don, that's really generous of you! I'll have to think that over.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Simon see my post on the hoodloupe & arca swiss plate

Quote Originally Posted by bbodine9 View Post
    Simon,

My post might be of some use in this regard, this combo is very effective it seems to me and not hard to use.

bbodine9
    I assume that you mean the HoodLoupe? Sorry, but this is not an option I'd be remotely interested in when there are such superior LCDs easily available. If you've seen the one on the GRDII or the LX3/D-Lux 4 for example, you'll know what I mean. Besides, why should we have to put a fairly large contraption onto a compact camera in order to be able to use it in conditions that are inevitably going to be common for virtually all users? This simply isn't good design.

Don't get me wrong, I applaud Sigma for creating a unique product that we photographers have been lusting after for years. And, I love my DP1. It's just that for a third generation product (the first generation being the one they scrapped to get to the second generation DP1 as released), they should have corrected this glaring (no pun intended) error. What wasn't good design on the first model becomes lousy design on the next.

I may just forget about the DP2 and use either my D-Lux 4 or my G1 (with the 20mm f1.7 lens) for 40mm focal length work. Yes, I know they're going to give me the same results, but it'll be damn close.

Cheers,