The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Another Ricoh decison thread....

Maggie O

Does the LCD on the GR-D II have a glass screen like the D-Lux 3 or is it a bare LCD membrane, like the Canon Powershots, etc...?

M

Mitch Alland

...As an aside, I am most interested in knowing which printers/ink/paper combinations you guys are using for the big BW prints you say you are getting from this camera.
Thanks for the kind words.

I'm printing with an Epson 9800 using the ImagePrint RIP on a an imitation Epson Luster paper sold in Thailand. Luster gives deep, rich blacks and, for large prints in fine. The only issue is some gloss differential in blown-out areas, which I often have. To eliminate this I have been using Renaissance Wax, which is also useful in protecting small prints from fingerprints.

—Mitch/Bangkok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/

H

helgipelgi

Ya I saw that a while ago.. though it's the demo model.. I'm not sure about that, not so keen on raising my chances of having to send the camera in for some kind of problem..

On the other hand.. I was wondering if "demo model" is a cover-up for being able to sell the camera cheaper.. ?? I mean how many demo models do they have for sale?

What do ya think?
Mine wasn't marked as a demo model, but I only saw this price available through Amazon though. It says "condition: New" and a special "low item price"

http://www.amazon.com/Ricoh-Digital...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1202494465&sr=8-1

Seems suspicious though -- I'm going to send them an email

H

helgipelgi

Sent them an email and have been looking into this -- it seems that they're selling the demo models through Amazon without distinguishing them from the new ones with anything but a "low item price" tag. I'm sure they've got their asses covered in the small print somewhere (although I've yet to find it), but if I've bought a "demo model", whatever that means exactly, all the while thinking I was buying a brand new one, then I'm obviously not getting what I intended to buy.

I've attached a screenshot from Amazon

H

helgipelgi

Just an update if anyone's interested: I got an email back from Adorama, and they told me it is brand new and not a demo model.

Lili

Still no comment on the LCD.

Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?
Maggie what was the question?
Remember I've the GRD so cannot answer in regards to the GRD II :)

Edit: I've screen protector on mine, I do not *think* it is glass tho, hard to tell through the silicone tho

Maggie O

Maggie what was the question?
Remember I've the GRD so cannot answer in regards to the GRD II :)
Does the LCD on the GR-D II have a glass screen like the D-Lux 3 or is it a bare LCD membrane, like the Canon Powershots, etc...?

Maggie O

I saw your edit after I posted.

Too bad there aren't any GR-D II owners here that could answer the question. ;)

Maggie O

The D-Lux 3's screen is hard glass, so you could thwack it with a fingernail and you'd never know it. Is the Ricoh's equally robust? (It doesn't look like it photos.)

Lili

The D-Lux 3's screen is hard glass, so you could thwack it with a fingernail and you'd never know it. Is the Ricoh's equally robust? (It doesn't look like it photos.)
I am not sure how hard you mean, but the screen on my GRD has proven very durable.'
And useful, I find myself using the OVF less and less.