The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canadian War Cemetery - Groesbeek Netherlands

W

wbrandsma

After almost a year I had my first taste of using the Sigma DP1 again thanks to forum member Cam. I will be able to use this camera for some considerable time and I am really looking forward to it.

So yesterday I took the camera to the Canadian War Cemetery nearby the German border in Groesbeek, the Netherlands. An incredible respectful and peaceful place for 2,338 brave Canadian souls who lost their lifes in 1944 and 1945.

I used the camera with the VF-11 viewfinder and found it an excellent experience. I used SPP and Photoshop to edit the photographs.

cam

gorgeous, Wouter! there is an almost effortless 3D quality to them.... i especially like the tones you got in the flowers on the last shot, though.

i look most forward to seeing if you can incorporate the DP1 with your more recent style and subject matter.

bbodine9

Wonderful photos with the DP1 Wouter! As a new DP1 owner myself I hope you will share how you processed these. I have always been a fan of your B&W photos. Thanks for any help you can give me.

W

wbrandsma

So many thanks Cam. I will probably have to go for more ISO 800 to see how it works for the recent subjects and style.

Thank you Don.

Wonderful photos with the DP1 Wouter! As a new DP1 owner myself I hope you will share how you processed these. I have always been a fan of your B&W photos. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Hi Bodine, I tried both SPP and Lightroom. And while it is good to use Lightroom for organizing and tagging the photographs, SPP does just such a better job at handling the RAW photographs from the DP1. I basically used SPP in auto and changed the shadows and highlight accordingly. I also did some minus sharpening, because the default setting looked very sharp to me. After that I saved the photographs as a tiff and opened them in Photoshop for my B&W conversion. Currently I really like using the Gradient Map to convert the photographs to B&W. And when you use a second Gradient Map the photographs often become more pleasantly contrasty. Next, it is just controlling the highlight, mid tones and shadows with the curves or brightness/contrast.

I still have to get myself familiar with the camera and the photographs to figure out how I can process these to my best likings.

W

wbrandsma

I use Silver Efex too, but I like to do things on my own. Thank you though.

W

wbrandsma

Breathtakingly beautiful Burkhard. And it reminds me of Margraten in South Netherlands and Henry Chapel in Belgium.