Site Sponsors

Thread: DP1-DP2 FOV

Post Thanks / Like

DP1-DP2 FOV

Here are a couple of quick shots to compare the field of view of the DP1 and DP2. You can also see some differences in the colors.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DP1-DP2 FOV

A couple more.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the dp2 view better, and that's quite unenjoyable since I own a dp1... In the bridge shot (3rd comparison), the colour of the bridge is way different! Looks that the dp2 is rendering red a lot better.

Thanks for these shots

LFPhoto

DP2 bridge view can be achieved by cropping dp1 image. Color rendition is a different story.

Brian.

Post Thanks / Like

yes, very strange about the red color in the DP1. It seems almost magenta ish next to the DP2 renditions.

Mazor

Post Thanks / Like

I had a DP 1 briefly, and I noticed a slightly different color problem. At higher ISO's, the colors appeared less saturated.

This was never completely explained to me, and now with the DP1- DP2 color variation, I wonder if this is a function of the Foveon sensor, although a simple explanation seems unlikely.

Martin

Post Thanks / Like

I was never really happy with the way the DP1 handled reds, but since I shot mostly B&W with it, it never bothered me. The DP2 does seem to render colors more nicely. I did find however that the "Vivid" setting is probably best avoided. It seems to do strange things to colors. If you shoot raw, you can choose whatever setting you want in SPP, but if you have the camera set to Vivid, and you decide you prefer Standard (like I did), then you'll have reset it for all your shots in SPP. And I couldn't find a way to do that for all shots at once, so I had to do it for each individual shot.

Bill

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In reviews of the DP1 it was noted that it was easy to blow the red channel. In blowing the reds and the color went very magenta (there is a sample on DPReview - in the review). So, they've probably done some tweaking with the colors to correct it.

nei1

Thanks Bill,exactly what I wanted to see,glad the camera has worked out for you,all the best,Neil.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nei1 View Post
    Thanks Bill,exactly what I wanted to see,glad the camera has worked out for you,all the best,Neil.
    Neil, I had you in mind when I took those shots. Glad they are helpful for you.

Bill

Oxide Blu

I'm a big fan of the 40mm lens -- most of the stuff I have shot with the Ricoh GRDII was with the optional 40mm lens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oxide Blu View Post
    I'm a big fan of the 40mm lens -- most of the stuff I have shot with the Ricoh GRDII was with the optional 40mm lens.
    One of my favorite setups is the Voigtlander 40/1.4 on a Bessa R2M.

Bill

Caleb

I am very grateful to you for posting those comparative images. They pretty much answered all my questions. I am just getting into photography as a hobby (I've taken product photos for years but rarely took my camera outside), and I wasn't sure what the difference between a 28mm lens and a 41mm lens would look like, and those photos certainly showed me. Also, your pictures made it clear that the red-channel clipping problem has been resolved -- it's wonderful to see all those rich reds. The color cast also looks much improved. I am more psyched than ever about getting the DP2.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    I am very grateful to you for posting those comparative images. They pretty much answered all my questions. I am just getting into photography as a hobby (I've taken product photos for years but rarely took my camera outside), and I wasn't sure what the difference between a 28mm lens and a 41mm lens would look like, and those photos certainly showed me. Also, your pictures made it clear that the red-channel clipping problem has been resolved -- it's wonderful to see all those rich reds. The color cast also looks much improved. I am more psyched than ever about getting the DP2.
    I'm glad I could help. And welcome to the forum. I think as long as you keep in mind that the DP2 is not a simple P&S camera, you will be amply rewarded with the images it will give you. The colors do seem to be better with the DP2, especially the reds, but I think a lot of the "color cast" problems were nothing more than a simple WB problem, something that can be easily tweaked in SPP or LightRoom. I hope you enjoy your DP2.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

That improved red is very significant. I'm constantly disappointed by the inaccurate reds on my DP1. I haven't found it easy to adjust the white balance to achieve the correct red without skewing the other colours.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    That improved red is very significant. I'm constantly disappointed by the inaccurate reds on my DP1. I haven't found it easy to adjust the white balance to achieve the correct red without skewing the other colours.
    As far as the reds are concerned, I'd have to agree. I've never been able to get the reds in that Shrine to look right with the DP1. Apparently the DP2 has been "fixed" in that regard. So far so good!

Bill

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Colors look much better on the Dp-2 no question and the reds are looking well RED
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Caleb

Bill, is there anywhere that I can see the originals of those DP1/DP2 images? I want to compare the pixel-level sharpness. A lot of the DP2 images I am looking at recently seem very soft.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    Bill, is there anywhere that I can see the originals of those DP1/DP2 images? I want to compare the pixel-level sharpness. A lot of the DP2 images I am looking at recently seem very soft.
    Do you mean the original raw files, or the converted tiff's? I don't have them uploaded anywhere, but we could probably work something out.

Bill

Caleb

I don't have SPP, so I'd like to see the converted TIFFs. Do you have a Flicker account, or some such, where you could post them?

Since you took photos of the same scenes with both cameras, a direct comparison of the sharpness is possible.

What is your opinion of the sharpness of the DP2 images? If you think they are as sharp as the DP1 files, I'll take your word for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to the release of the DP1s, this thread is still very relevant... especially for people like me who bought the DP2 and are considering the DP1 for its wider field of view.

So thanks again, Bill... yours was the only post I could find on the Internet that showed me comparisons on the two FOVs on the same subject.

Cheers,
    Don

gjhzyy

Wonderful pictures.