The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

color cast in GX200 images

L

LocalMoments

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with the GX200 I'd like to ask your help with. I've been photographing with the GX200 since February, and I've found that images from the camera tend to have a pronounced color cast. It isn't always the same; in fact, it tends to occur with the dominant color in a scene. So an image with a lot of sky will take on a blue cast overall; or, an image with brick buildings will show a red (magenta) cast.

I do know how to perform color balancing in Photoshop - in fact I've gotten quite quick at it since having the GX200! It would however be nice to know if there are different ways I could be shooting that might resolve the issue.

And finally, the color casts occur whether I'm converting from DNG, or working with a JPG out of camera.

Any thoughts or insights would be much appreciated, including whether anyone else has observed the same things! ... thanks,

- Jason

V

VladimirV

I did not notice any color casts with the GX200, could be a problem with the WB. Are you using Auto WB or do you use the WB adjustment feature? Have you tried to set the WB manually and see if the cast is still there?
It seems to be a problem with the Auto WB, you could try to update the firmware or perform a reset.
Do you have any example pictures with Exif information?

L

LocalMoments

Hi Vladimir, thanks for your reply.

I do shoot using auto WB. I attempt to correct in camera raw using color temperature, but more often it takes a curve layer.

As an example ... here's a shot with a yellow/orange cast:

L

LocalMoments

... and here's the same shot corrected with curves:

V

VladimirV

This is I think just the way the Auto WB works (or not works in this case), you can try to set the WB manually and see if this is more reliable and works better for you.

As a side note, on my office monitor the first picture looks more pleasing to me than the color corrected one.

If you go to my wordpress blog you can find some sample images and RAW images I took for my review of the GX200. I used auto WB most of the time and you could check if these look different from your images and also process the RAW files.

L

LocalMoments

As a side note, on my office monitor the first picture looks more pleasing to me than the color corrected one.
I agree, actually. The first picture looks more golden, which is always appealing - but the light wasn't actually that color when I took the shot.

And thanks as well for the tip about images on your blog; I'll check them out.

Best,
- Jason