The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anglo-Saxon helmet - D-Lux 4

Nigel Rea

Visited the Anglo-Saxon burial site at Sutton Hoo (UK) over the weekend. It was where the ship burial of the warrior king, thought to be Raedwald, King of East Anglia, took place in AD625.

In the exhibition hall there is this reconstruction of an Anglo-Saxon helmet. It would have originally been made of iron with tinned-bronze decorative plates. The standard of workmanship created by these crafts people is staggering.

Photos here show hard and soft textures. The soft textures just about hold up at this sensitivity. JPEG from D-Lux 4 ISO 400 1/40th at f4 handheld.

Nigel

otumay

Nigel, those shots, especially the first one is stunning. Would love to see more. I bought the D-Lux 4 two weeks ago and came to appreciate its jpeg rendering.
Best,
Osman

bubuli

those images are pretty good. is noise reduction applied? when i use my DLux4 i can see noise even at comparable small-ish size.

Nigel Rea

Thank you both for the comments.

No noise reduction applied. Just a quick fix.
Open in CS2 using embedded profile (SRGB)
Adjust levels from the right 0 1.00 203
Give a bit more contrast +24
Unsharp mask for web Amount 125 Radius 2.0 Threshold 0

I think it helps with shots like these to have had the direct lighting you get in exhibitions. The down-side is the burnt out areas over the eyes.

Here is another corrected shot with the original.

Nigel

bubuli

Thank you both for the comments.

No noise reduction applied. Just a quick fix.
Open in CS2 using embedded profile (SRGB)
Adjust levels from the right 0 1.00 203
Give a bit more contrast +24
Unsharp mask for web Amount 125 Radius 2.0 Threshold 0

I think it helps with shots like these to have had the direct lighting you get in exhibitions. The down-side is the burnt out areas over the eyes.

Here is another corrected shot with the original.
Ah...looking at the unretouched one...O HAI THERE, NOISE! :D i was beginning to think my DLux4 is abnormal.

now that i see the original...the contrast and levels adjust is just a tad too much for my tastes (too much shadow and highlight detail clipped). I'd rather have a little noise to retain those details...but that's me. YMMV.