Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sigma DP1

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Sigma DP1

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post

I'm still fuzzy on how that sensor works and what sort of files it will produce.
    What are you 'fuzzy' on? The sensor works sort of like colour film in 3 dimensions, rather than the 2 of the usual CCD/CMOS. Theoretically 'better', but harder to achieve in practice.
    Sláinte

Robert.

Sean_Reid

Hi Maggie,

If you're really curious, I'd recommend downloading a couple RAW files from the Sigma SD14 (or one of the earlier Sigma DSLRs) and see what you think. Also, Phil Askey's review of the SD 10, http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sigmasd10/, might be interesting to read as background on the Foveon. Also check imaging-resource.com for Sigma SLR reviews. I think the principle is the same with all of these Sigma cameras.

Cheers,

Sean

Sean_Reid

Also...I haven't tested a Sigma yet but, based on what I've seen so far, I suspect that the files will up-res much better than their MP size might suggest. Obviously, I'll know more when I have the actual DP1 in my hands.

Cheers,

Sean

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post
    To get back on-topic, I'm most curious as to how the DP1's files will work in B&W. It seems like the Foveon is almost a dedicated color sensor and that it might not work well for B&W.

It'd be nice to have an M8-like compact for backup.
    Maggie,
    Way back when (oh about a year ago) when Sigma said it was coming I spent a long time looking at the Sigma Forum at DP Review. From what I have seen and the questions I've asked the Foveon sensor can give some stunning B&W results.

terry

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Sean, thanks for the links! I'll play around and read up some more.

Or, better yet, I'll just go shoot with the M8 a bunch!

Sean_Reid

That's a good idea too. In a couple of weeks, I'll start one of my most intense extended periods of photographing and I'm looking forward to it. The M8 is still the M8.

Cheers,

Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sean_Reid View Post
    This is one tangent I hope doesn't gather much steam
    Sean and everybody else, this is certainly the last post I am dedicating to this issue( I certainly prefer to discuss photography, and there is a lot to learn from some of you guys here..).

to clarify, this isn't a public space. It's a private set of web forums with two owners - Jack and Guy
    That is a good point, it already is difficult enough to try and write my thoughts in english, but I think you all "sort of" understand what I meant by "public space".

They've taken a brave, unusual and admirable stand in saying that everyone on these forums will respect the rules set out or be booted.
    I have nothing but respect for Jack and Guy (who by the way I have known for years from posting in other places) for providing this space. My activity in other forums had decreased to the point of nearly desapearing, and as I stated on my first post this place seems really special and it is strange how familar you can feel with the comunity only a couple of days after joining.

I'm *not* going to debate the specific conduct of any particular person here but the fact is that, on these private forums, one either respects the rules of conduct or leaves.

Taking that stance has at least two consequences:

1) We get to enjoy a real rarity; a set of forums where discussion is civil and respectful. Most forums are neither and are often dominated by trolling, rudeness, childishness, etc.

2) Jack and Guy have to take the heat now and again for sticking to their guns and enforcing the rules. I'm glad that they both have the cojones to do that. Fortunately, this is their place and they can set and enforce whatever rules they like. In doing that that are creating a really unique space for grown-ups to discuss photography.

Specifically, because of the stance they've taken, this has become my personal favorite set of forums on the web. I think there may be some others who feel the same way. Whether or not I agree with every ban, per se, I very much support their efforts to enforce the rules if needed.

Cheers,

Sean
    I have nothing against or in favour of any particular members here. As said before I am new here and maybe my post was a bit "out of beat", but I just wanted to show my concern. I ignore past issues and will try not to interfere with the moderation of functioning of this place any more (though knowing my nature I will "drop" my opinion from time to time...just for the health of it all..). I hope not to bother anybody with my personal concerns..

Now back on photography. After a long time I re-subscribed to Sean´s reviews recently. I had forgotten how unique his approach to reviews and equipment is, and would like to recomend anybody who hasn´t to give it a try, really worth it. Thanks Sean. And by the way...WHAT´S NEXT???

Good light to all..

Erik.

roberth

I found this a very interesting read on the bayer vs foveon sensor debate.

http://www.ddisoftware.com/sd14-5d/

One big plus being small file sizes.

gropec

Also...I haven't tested a Sigma yet but, based on what I've seen so far, I suspect that the files will up-res much better than their MP size might suggest. Obviously, I'll know more when I have the actual DP1 in my hands.

Cheers,

Sean
    I confirm this : I have done some 16x23 inches prints from the Dpreview Las Vegas samples gallery, and it's really impressive !! With or whithout up-sampling, the results in terms of details are widely better than the Bayer 8Mp of the Ricoh GR (and also the 10MP of the GRII, from which I have made some print tests). The up-sampling is even not inevitable, and the only artefacts on this print sizes are some jagged lines with high contrast (but imperceptible at 0,5 feet , average distance of observation for this sizes of prints)

Please pardon my vague English..
    Christophe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Lili,

Quote Originally Posted by Lili View Post
    Brian,
    Thank you for that information!
    Lovely pics too!
    I know the sensor in the e400 differs from the e410 which is available here.
    What is your view on the e410?
    I posted a reply earlier, but it got lost when I was interrupted by a pm... so here goes again!

The E-410 is simply a mainstream version of the E-400 with a Panasonic NMOS sensor, which is a better performer above 400 ISO - although some E-400 owners (myself included) romanticise about the Kodak CCD in the E-400 having better colour character at base ISO. I don't think there's enough of a difference to worry about... especially if you shoot RAW (which I recommend)

On the subject of RAW, the E-410 compresses RAW to <10MB which is very welcome. It also provides a form of live-view which can be very useful for tripod based work (i.e. macros).

The twin kit lens version of the E-410 is excellent optical quality, and superb value for money, but I suspect there will be an E-420 announced in the next couple of months, hopefully with an even better sensor - perhaps derived from the E-3.

I find the ergonomics of the E-400 series to be excellent, and surprisingly close to the DP1 in size, with the added quality and flexibility of 4/3rd lens choice...

E-410 compared with DP1

Hope that helps,

Kind Regards

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    E-410 compared with DP1

Hope that helps,

Kind Regards

Brian
    Brian,
    It does indeed help, thank you!
    Lili

Sean_Reid

Quote Originally Posted by Photon-hunter View Post
    And by the way...WHAT´S NEXT???
    Erik.
    Hi Erik,

That's the question I face every morning <G>. Here's what's cooking:

- comments on a pre-production version of an upgraded M8
    - the first of two articles on children as photographers
    - an essay on B&W photogrpahy
    - various Leica and Pentax lens reviews
    - reviews of the DP1, Olympus E3 and Nikon D3

Thanks for the comments on the site.

Cheers,

Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Sean,

thanks for your review site... I'm taking my time reading through them all and really enjoying it. I particularly enjoyed the R1 review - since mine has hardly been used since I got it last year... however I've found that the E-3 in live view mode with the lcd flipped out onto my left wrist allows me the same top-down shooting style so I think my R1's days are numbered.

Here's a shot taken with my E-3 + Hexanon 57mm f1.2 - inspired by your R1 review I used the E-3 waist level...

Have you considered reviewing the Olympus E-410 in a similar class to the DP1?

Keep up the good work!

Kind Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Brian Mosley; 12th February 2008 at 06:27.

asabet

Beautiful portrait Brian.

I think the Foveon sensor is pretty impressive with direct to B&W conversions from RAW. At high ISO, the blotchiness seen in color images is largely absent from black and white. Click here to see extremely high ISO images from the Sigma SD14, which has the same sensor as the DP1. Click here to see an SD14 B&W image upres'd to 14MP.
    Last edited by asabet; 12th February 2008 at 20:18.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, Sean —

Thanks for being interested in seeing my B & W infrared stuff. I'd love to show it to you, but it'll have to be awhile, as none of it is in digital form yet.

Thanks for your interest, which is most encouraging.

Hi, johnastovall —

I was thinking, more prosaically, that there might be some theoretical writings by Blake which I hadn't heard of, rather than of his amazing art.

Your response reminds me of the story about Frank LLoyd Wright, who was asked by a women's group to talk to them on the theme, "What is Art?" He dutifully arrived, made his way to the podium, took a small book from his pocket and, with no words of introduction or explanation, began to read to them the whole of one of Hans Christian Anderson's Fairy Tales. When he'd finished, he closed the book, said, "That, dear Ladies, is Art," and took his seat.

Thanks for being so imaginatively concrete.

Cheers,

Irenaeus

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Amin,

thanks for the DP1 links... and yes, the high ISO B&W images do seem to be very impressive indeed - as you say, the noise is very fine grained. It would be excellent to see a comparison with the GRD/II at ISO 3200/6400

The B&W portrait is also very good... unfortunately, I don't think the fixed lens on the DP1 will be well suited to portrait work though... although I can see more of a case for street shooting in B&W given your linked info.

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Amin, I read on dpreview that the DP1 may suffer from blotchy colour noise at high ISO... I didn't know that - the DP1 looks like it will be a very interesting mix of capabilities / limitations.

I think it will be a camera some people love, and some people hate... i.e. a camera with character! which I like - just a matter of understanding the very specific niche in which it will sing.

Kind Regards

Brian

SimonL

A slight hijack for one line only:

UK Prices announced at http://www.sigmauser.eu/content/view/189/63/

Dp1 digital camera £549.99

DP1 digital camera with optical viewfinder £599.99

Finder alone £ 84.99

EF 140DG Flashgun £ 44.99

HA-11 Hood Adaptor £ 19.99

SAC-3 AC Adaptor £ 39.99

BC-31 Battery Charger £ 39.99

BP-31 spare battery £ 29.99

Sean_Reid

Hi Sean,

thanks for your review site... I'm taking my time reading through them all and really enjoying it. I particularly enjoyed the R1 review - since mine has hardly been used since I got it last year... however I've found that the E-3 in live view mode with the lcd flipped out onto my left wrist allows me the same top-down shooting style so I think my R1's days are numbered.

Here's a shot taken with my E-3 + Hexanon 57mm f1.2 - inspired by your R1 review I used the E-3 waist level...

Have you considered reviewing the Olympus E-410 in a similar class to the DP1?

Keep up the good work!

Kind Regards

Brian
    That lens seems to work beautifully on the E-3. The R1 is a very interesting, though largely forgotten, camera, not only for its waist level advantages but also for its almost silent shutter release.

An E-410? Maybe, the E-3 will be first and we'll see from there.

Cheers,

Sean

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

That lens seems to work beautifully on the E-3. The R1 is a very interesting, though largely forgotten, camera, not only for its waist level advantages but also for its almost silent shutter release.

Cheers,

Sean
    Sean, that is one huge advantage about many of the EVF (as well as our beloved small sensor cameras) cameras; that silent shutter.
    I have been hunting an R-1 for some time but they are quite dear in price

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Brioan,
    That is stunning portrait, you are a very effective patron of the Olympus DSLR'S!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm hoping that by the time you've done the E-3 there will be an E-420 announced! that would be an even more interesting review...

Good luck with your E-3 review, I'm really looking forward to your insights. Do you have any Leica R lenses you could try with an adapter? Rich Simpson is getting some beautiful results with his... and they're still relatively inexpensive to collect - I must get started with that.

The E-1 has a beautifully quiet shutter release, it's a real shame Olympus couldn't have brought that forward to the E-3.

Kind Regards

Brian

Cheers,

Sean

asabet

Hi Amin,

thanks for the DP1 links... and yes, the high ISO B&W images do seem to be very impressive indeed - as you say, the noise is very fine grained. It would be excellent to see a comparison with the GRD/II at ISO 3200/6400
    Hi Brian, since the GRD II lens is about 1 1/2 stops faster than the Sigma, I'd be very interested in seeing an ISO 800 GRD II image compared to an ISO 800 DP1 image pushed about 1 1/2 stops (~ISO 2400 equivalent) and uprezzed to the GRD II file size. I think the results would be pretty close, though the GRD II files may show more "blotchiness" at those ISOs.
    Amin, I read on dpreview that the DP1 may suffer from blotchy colour noise at high ISO... I didn't know that - the DP1 looks like it will be a very interesting mix of capabilities / limitations.
    Agree. The Sigma SD14 has the same sensor as the DP1, and it's pretty clear to me that it is susceptible to color blotching at ISO800 and up (and even ISO 400 in some cases). I'd say that the E-410 begins to show blotchy chroma noise at ISO 1600 (similar to the Sigma at ISO 400-800ish), and this process persists in B&W conversions unless heavy chroma NR is employed to the point of destroying detail. With the GRD II, similar blotchiness seems to be apparent in high ISO (ISO 800 and up) files and is also apparent in B&W conversions. The unique thing about the Foveon is that the blotchy chroma noise seen in color high ISO files is largely unseen in the B&W conversions from RAW. The other negative issue worth mentioning with regards to the Foveon is that the color tends to be off in incandescent lighting and is largely unfixable in post (even with RAW). More on that issue here.
    I think it will be a camera some people love, and some people hate... i.e. a camera with character! which I like - just a matter of understanding the very specific niche in which it will sing.
    Again, I agree. One thing to keep in mind is that this camera is far more compact than an E-410 or M8 without lens and a good bit more compact than a G9. To me, the fact that the Foveon sensor does beautifully in both color and B&W for low ISO in the great majority of lighting conditions and also does well at high ISO for B&W makes it versatile enough to compete strongly against the GRD II if there are no hidden issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by asabet View Post
    --- snip---The Sigma SD14 has the same sensor as the DP1, and it's pretty clear to me that it is susceptible to color blotching at ISO800 and up (and even ISO 400 in some cases). ---snip---
    Amin,

I thought I read somewhere that the sensor was similar to the SD14, and that the software/firmware would be different. Have you seen anything about that?

Other than the high ISO issues, do you think the B&W rendering from the DP1 at low ISO will be as good, or better, than from a Bayer sensor at low ISO?

Thanks,
    Otto...

asabet

Hi Otto,
    Everything I have read suggests that the sensors of the DP1 and SD14 are the same, which does not preclude differences in firmware or in-camera processing, or handling by RAW software. It may be that Sigma has redesigned the microlenses, though I've seen no indication of that either. As far as low ISO B&W from the DP1 vs Bayer sensors, I don't have the answer. Clearly not all Bayer sensors are created equal. I'm probably going to pick up a DP1 and do some detailed image quality comparisons between that camera, the GRD II, and the Canon 5D.
    Regards,
    Amin

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Does anyone know if the DP1 will be able to attach adaptors like the GRDII currently does? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

It's my understanding that the hood is threaded which would allow various after-market converters to be used.

Good shooting,
    Otto...

Sean_Reid

I'm hoping that by the time you've done the E-3 there will be an E-420 announced! that would be an even more interesting review...

Brian
    Interesting is in the eyes of the beholder but thanks for the suggestions. The E-420 is not weather-sealed, making the E3 much more interesting to me.

Cheers,

Sean

Post Thanks / Like

the 410 isn't weather-sealed. I think Brian is hoping that the yet-to-be-announced 420 will be.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    the 410 isn't weather-sealed. I think Brian is hoping that the yet-to-be-announced 420 will be.
    lol nostatic, you read my mind!

Kind Regards

Brian

hiro

Quote Originally Posted by SimonL View Post
    UK Prices announced
    Dp1 digital camera £549.99
    DP1 digital camera with optical viewfinder £599.99
    That's too expensive: exactly twice what I paid for a GX100 with viewfinder (and that was already at the limit of what I was prepared to pay for a compact camera). If the DP1 had interchangeable lenses like the Leica M8 then it would be interesting but with a fixed 28mm lens it is only really competing with the GRD/GRDII, and for that I think it's overpriced, since you can get the GRDII for £200 less (and which personally I think is still overpriced for a compact).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree hiro, the DP1 seems to be dramatically overpriced considering the competition... however, it could be a PR stunt to raise the perception of the camera's value at launch.

Also, I get the feeling that Sigma are in the habit of raising the flag to see who salutes! the original DP1 concept was panned on the forums for not having a viewfinder - Sigma seemed to take the comments on board and added a hotshoe + viewfinder attachment.

I have a strong feeling that once production ramps up, the RRP will drop to £450 including viewfinder attachment in the UK. Either that, or it will flop and we'll be picking it up at £200 in the firesales.

Kind Regards

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Brian,
    Isn't it true that most manufacturers announce a price an the actual street price ends up be ing far lower?
    Of course that simply could be wishful thinking on my part

pcheywood

Firesale price sounds nice to me around now, not that I would wish them a failure. It would just seem that the UK is the eternal cash cow.

Paul.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Amazon pricing as of 2/15/08 in usd

Here is the price from Amazon as of today on preorders, not sure about the converted price for the UK.

List Price: $999.99
    Price: $799.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details
    You Save: $200.00 (20%)

Availability: This item will be released on March 25, 2008. Pre-order now! Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

asabet

Just about every Sigma camera falls dramatically in price over time. This is in contrast to the Ricohs, which seem to hold price until they are replaced. That said, the US street price for the DP1 is less than 15% more than the price of the GRD II, and I find the higher price of the Sigma justified given that it is the first of its kind and will most likely have much better image quality than the Ricoh in certain situations. Of course the part about better image quality is just a guess. We'll find out soon enough. In the meanwhile, here's an interesting comparison of the Kodak 14nx (DSLR with a 14MP Bayer sensor and no AA filter) and the Sigma SD14 (SLR with the same Foveon sensor found in the DP1). Too bad they didn't have a GRD II on hand for the test .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's good to know... I hope the price falls dramatically over a very short time in the UK - because at the moment it's looking silly.

I do accept that a unique camera will deserve a higher price - but as I read somewhere, it is a mass produced plastic camera - i.e. hardly a leica.

Kind Regards

Brian

asabet

DigitalCameraReview.com had the following to say about the production-ready model: "In terms of build, there's a lot more metal here than was seen on earlier prototypes, giving the whole thing the feeling of a precise photographic instrument." It may be mass produced, but Sigma has no illusions about marketing this to the masses. Here's an excerpt from the 20+ page catalog downloadable from the DP1 site:

Sigma's main effort went into
    perfecting basic performance.
    We aimed to create a brand-new
    compact digital camera delivering
    top-of-the-range image quality.
    We gave it a large, SLR-sized image
    sensor. A direct image sensor
    capable of capturing all the light and
    color. We developed a lens specially
    for top performance. We developed
    a special image-processing engine,
    from scratch. If you're pursuing the
    very essence of cameras and photos,
    these elements are indispensable.

We also minimized the automatic
    element in selecting the capture
    setting. We scaled back the image-
    correcting functions, and took care
    to leave the photographer plenty
    of creative scope. We think the
    camera should be a tool that lets the
    photographer take the initiative and
    work the magic. We designed the
    user interface with care.
    We made it easy for the user to select
    the best mode to shoot in, based his
    or her perception of the light and
    the subject's texture. We made sure
    the camera's own image processing
    doesn't tinker too much with the
    tone when the data is processed.
    This way, the light captured by
    the lens is converted faithfully into
    image signal. These are the ideals
    behind the DP1's approach
    to making pictures.

The DP1 may not be the easiest
    camera to use, and it may not be
    ideal for the casual user. But if you
    want a camera that stimulates your
    creative intelligence, brings out an
    artistic urge you never knew you
    had, and ignites your talent, that
    would be the DP1. It may not have
    the kind of extra features that hit
    the headlines. But if you want to
    capture the true complexities of
    light and color on planet Earth, and
    turn them into top-quality images,
    then no other camera will do.

A camera for artists: if the DP1
    increases the sum of human art by
    a single work, Sigma will be happy.
    A high-performance compact digital
    camera in a class of its own.
    A camera aimed squarely at the
    heart of photographic art.
    A camera that sparks the creative
    urge. That would be the DP1.
    The DP1 is not priced like a Leica M. It is priced less than 15% higher than a GRD II and close to the average introductory price of the D-LUX series. Seems reasonable to me.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Amazon has the DP1 at a price that is exactly two hundred dollars MORE than the D-Lux 3, I feel I should note.

I have to say, though I am still skeptical, there is as much chance that I will someday get a DP1 as there is me getting a GR-D II.

7ian7

Price matters to us on a personal level, but really I say these guys should charge whatever they believe will make it worth it for them to manufacture something special. My sense is that truly great cameras don't disappear because they are too expensive. If they produce great models, a lot of us will purchase them — overpriced or not — then other manufacturers will jump in, and on it will go. I predict a flurry of compact innovation, and all of these cameras will cost more than we'd like to spend. It will last a few years, until we all basically have our dream cameras in hand — the digital versions of our Hexars or Canonets or GR1's etc — and once that demand is met, the innovation will slow down and it'll be another generation before a new wave is developed. But at least for now, we're at the beginning of that wave, so ... lets party!

asabet

Fully agree Ian.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree as well
    waiting till DP-1 and or e420 is out.

edit; tho i still prefer the 'drawing' of images from my GRD, also the GX-100 prices are dropping, adding that temptation to the mix
    Last edited by Lili; 16th February 2008 at 11:12.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Red face Re: Sigma DP1

Yesterday i spoke with Tony Rose (POPFLASH)
    Thanking him for the rapid arrival of my GR D2 /YEAH!!!! (Traded in my GR d1)
    and we talked about the DP1 / which he saw at the Photo Marketing Convention in Las Vegas

The images looked Good that were taken with it but he was NOT impressed with the SIZE
    nor the fact that SIGMA would not let you hold or try the camera.
    Tony will be getting it in from the Far East by the end of March
    Limited amount because SIGMA would prefer you to carry their whole line
    SOoooo hold your ears to the ground......wait & see or be content with what you got
    Cheers!
    Last edited by helenhill; 16th February 2008 at 12:22.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Helen,
    Popflash is my preferred dealer. Tony is cool.
    They have the GX-100 discounted, and demo even lower.
    Sooooo tempted......

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Verrrrrrrry interesting!

asabet

Quote Originally Posted by Lili View Post
    Helen,
    Popflash is my preferred dealer. Tony is cool.
    They have the GX-100 discounted, and demo even lower.
    Sooooo tempted......
    Popflash is a preferred dealer for me as well. If Popflash gets the DP1 in at a good price, I'll strongly consider cancelling my Amazon pre-order and going with them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

DP1 Macro capability?

Can anyone offer thoughts on how the DP1 may fare in Macro usage? Not sure if the sensor offers advantages here or not. Thanks!
    Last edited by bbodine9; 18th February 2008 at 10:37.

VladimirV

There is no macro mode on the DP1, the closest it can focus is 30cm. So for macro it will be useless.