The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

nothing like head-to-head to thin the herd

nostatic

I've had the D-Lux 3 for a month or so now, and have been happy with it on most levels, but have a few gripes. After shooting at the beach today (something I've done a lot with all my other cameras) I decided to do a quick and dirty "shoot-off" in the front yard. It was the D-Lux 3 vs. FZ-20 vs. D70 w/105 micro. Closeup shots of some flowers...I like pollen :p

I was shooting raw with the D70 and jpg with the others. And when I pulled them into Aperture to view, I was pretty astonished. Well, one thing was expected - the poor FZ20 just didn't fare well. Macro is not the camera's forte, and the lower resolution and older engine paled in comparison with the D-Lux 3.

What really took me aback was the fact that the images from the D-Lux 3 looked *better* than the D70. The Nikon should have crushed the Leica but it didn't. I played around with things a bit, but it just wasn't happening with the D70. I have been pondering getting rid of the D70 and either upgrading or going a different direction, and this may be the push over the edge.

So what's in your quiver of cameras? I feel like I want:

- very small/compact pocket camera...something I'll slip in my pocket most all the time. Been using a Canon SD400 for a couple of years for this. Downside is no raw, but have gotten good shots from it

- high quality compact. D-Lux 3 fits that category for now.

- "bridge" or dslr. Need something that will do macro really well and also want a long lens capability. The FZ-20 just doesn't cut it from a resolution/iq standpoint.

yours?

Maggie O

I was shooting raw with the D70 and jpg with the others. And when I pulled them into Aperture to view, I was pretty astonished. Well, one thing was expected - the poor FZ20 just didn't fare well. Macro is not the camera's forte, and the lower resolution and older engine paled in comparison with the D-Lux 3
You know, after looking at thousands of photos on Flickr, I came to the same conclusion, more or less: the D-Lux 3's image quality blows away most consumer DSLRs, especially ones with kit lenses.

nostatic

Well, after my D70 developed a hot pixel and the Leica had some odd images turn up I wanted to have a "backup" for the Leica for Hong Kong. Went and played with a couple of candidates and came home with a K10d. Very nice unit, definitely a big step up from the D70. Using the 18-55 kit lens with it right now, but I shot it back to back with the top Pentax 16-50* lens and the kits lens is actually quite good. Now to pick up a 50 or 100mm macro and shoot away.