The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Time with my mother

S

sclamb

I took the DL4 along today. My mother was quiet and sat for a long time pulling a jumper tight to her, like a comfort blanket. She seemed thoughtful and was very confused about things today.

Simon

Diane B

They are very beautiful photos. I'm reaching for an adjective to describe them--poignant is all I can come up with.

Diane

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
There's magic in the 4th image...I can't stop viewing it....the way the lamp shade caresses her face is beautiful.....it creates a whole new spiritual dimension.....

Don

Rick Waldroup

Absolutely top notch environmental portraits. They are heartbreaking but at the same time, very solid in the confirmation of the what it is like to be human.

The first shot tells the story and shows a compassion that can only be captured by still photography.

Bravo.

Don Ellis

Your photos make us love her almost as much as you do. These memories of her are everything everyone else has said: beautiful, moving, poignant and they will be cherished in the years to come. I would add evocative. I'm glad I met her.

Don

S

sclamb

Wow, thanks to you all for such wonderful comments :) I wasn't expecting such a response.

My longer term intention is to make a book of all the pictures of my parents that I can give to my children in the hope that it will survive down the generations as a pictorial memory of the family tree. With the right paper and binding it should hopefully stand the test of time.

Thanks again, you comments are very much appreciated.

Simon

fordfanjpn

Simon,

I'm trying to think of something to add about these wonderful portraits, but quite frankly, I'm speechless. I don't remember when I have ever been so moved by a set of photos. Thank you for posting them.

The downside to this is that I am now wondering if I need to add a DL4 to go along with my DP2. :(

Bill

S

sclamb

Thanks Bill. I'm glad you found the pictures interesting. I have the DP1 at the moment and still use it even though I have the DL4. I do seem to reach for the DL4 more as it is more flexible. The DP2 sounds like a great camera.

Thanks again for commenting.

Simon

Irenaeus

Simon —

I agree with everything positive that's been said but disagree with your thanks for our having found them "interesting." They're not interesting, they're moving! After I got over their initial shocking beauty, what came unbidden to my mind was, "Why would I ever need anything more to make pictures with?"

I also wish I had even one such photo of my own mother in her own decline.

Thank you.

Irenaeus

S

sclamb

Thank you Irenaeus, I appreciate your comments. I am glad that I have the opportunity to take these pictures and I feel for you that you did not have such an opportunity. I am sure your memories are strong though.

Simon