The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Trying to love the DP1

Scott G

I really do want to.....

More than anything it is the fit in my hand, and the handling in general that irritate me. Is there a way to modify the body to make it more ergonomic?

Last edited:

hilld

I suppose you could just focus on the breaktakingly good pictures they have evidently enabled you to take. I should be be so 'irritated' !

All the best.

Audii-Dudii

i found the voigtlander veiwfinder and shooting manual mode made all the difference in the world for me.
Likewise! I also prefer the Contax G1 / G2 lenshood (or in this case, a Chinese knock-off purchased on eBay then painted black) to the Sigma version because it comes with a cap so I can keep the lens covered between shots.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
I also have the lenshood but don't ever use it.
It looks too professional. I'm working the tourist
again and I have to blend in.

Bill, we doin need no stinkin' fancy cases
or stinkin' lens hoods 'round here....

fordfanjpn

I also have the lenshood but don't ever use it.
It looks too professional. I'm working the tourist
again and I have to blend in.

Bill, we doin need no stinkin' fancy cases
or stinkin' lens hoods 'round here....
I always keep either the extension tube with a protection filter, or the Ricoh lens cap on the camera since otherwise the lens is hanging out there naked just waiting to be scratched or something. The case was something I bought on a whim when I first got the DP1, and since I spent about $150 on it, I'm gonna keep using it! ;)

Bill

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Bill,
Just kiddin'. I like the cases but they won't work with the Grip.....
That Ricoh hood is nice. I had it on the GX-200.....Do you have the mod plan for that...I lost it somewhere ....also is it the same for the 1 & 2...?
Thanks...Don

D

ddk

I really do want to.....
More than anything it is the fit in my hand, and the handling in general that irritate me. Is there a way to modify the body to make it more ergonomic?
Good luck with that!

There seems to be two groups of Sigma users here, the ones who have learnt to put up with it like the few members above and the rest of us like me who couldn't deal with it. In fact, the more time I spent with the Dp-1 the more I hated it. Yes, I pimped it up with grips and finders too but that didn't help, just too frustrating a camera to use, and for what reason.

The wake-up call came after 6 months of putting up with it and I didn't even have a single keeper to show for my efforts (frustrations!). Like your images here, I resorted to heavy processing to make some of them acceptable, but then it became clear putting all that effort into images which I didn't really care for and would never print is pointless, they remained mediocre at best. Are you willing to photoshop every image in this way so you can bare to look at them?

Last edited:

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
David,
True words. The DP cameras require compromise as any other camera.
I love the GX200 but can't deal with the IQ. The DP's give the IQ
I like and I release the negative energy the camera can muster
up.
"One mans Heaven is another mans Hell".
I remember my beloved M4's. Pure vision and then I got 2
M6's. Those red lights made me crazy. I never used a light meter
for years and then got dependant on those red lights.
It's all about compromise. Some can, some can't...
it's a beautiful thing....

D

ddk

David,
True words. The DP cameras require compromise as any other camera.
I love the GX200 but can't deal with the IQ. The DP's give the IQ
I like and I release the negative energy the camera can muster
up.
You're a better man than me brother, I could care less about sensor IQ when I don't get the image!

"One mans Heaven is another mans Hell".
I remember my beloved M4's. Pure vision and then I got 2
M6's. Those red lights made me crazy. I never used a light meter
for years and then got dependant on those red lights.
It's all about compromise. Some can, some can't...
it's a beautiful thing....
I hear you, just that my motto when it comes to cameras or any other tool is "make love not war" or I'll dump your A$$ on ebay :).

Last edited:

Audii-Dudii

The wake-up call came after 6 months of putting up with it and I didn't even have a single keeper to show for my efforts (frustrations!). Like your images here, I resorted to heavy processing to make some of them acceptable, but then it became clear putting all that effort into images which I didn't really care for and would never print is pointless, they remained mediocre at best. Are you willing to photoshop every image in this way so you can bare to look at them?
The wake-up call for me (I bought a second DP-1 during Amazon's recent $399 sale to replace the one I accidentally destroyed last summer) is that it simply can't reproduce certain shades of red even remotely accurately. I have plenty of "keepers" from my first one -- say what you will about Sigma and its cameras, but there is a certain quality of image the Foveon sensor can produce at times that is unparalled in my experience and for me, those images were worth putting up with all of its many quirks the rest of the time -- but as they say, you can't go home again, so I reluctantly returned it.

Alas, I forgot to cancel my preorder for the DP-2 at Amazon and have just received an email that it was shipped yesterday, several weeks earlier than expected. I will probably check it out just because, but I'm not optimistic...