Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 27 of 27

Thread: Trying to love the DP1

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland USA
    Posts
    466
    Post Thanks / Like

    Trying to love the DP1

    I really do want to.....

    More than anything it is the fit in my hand, and the handling in general that irritate me. Is there a way to modify the body to make it more ergonomic?











    Last edited by Scott G; 19th May 2009 at 09:46.

  2. #2
    Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Trying to love the DP1

    Get Richards Grip here....

    http://www.kleptography.com/rf/#camera_dp1

    it makes all the difference in the world....

    I can see where the camera slipped on the last frame.....

    Nah...just kiddin'
    shooter

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Andalusia, Spain
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trying to love the DP1

    I suppose you could just focus on the breaktakingly good pictures they have evidently enabled you to take. I should be be so 'irritated' !

    All the best.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland USA
    Posts
    466
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trying to love the DP1

    Shooter, thanks for the link! That just may be the ticket.

    hilld, thanks also for the kind words...

  5. #5
    Senior Member fordfanjpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trying to love the DP1

    I use mine in an Artisan&Artist case. Great pics by the way! I hope you learn to love the camera.

    Bill

  6. #6
    Senior Member helenhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,895
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16

    Re: Trying to love the DP1

    FAB shots Scott...Tres Cool your first Two
    Whats not to LOVE ?

    I'm thinking of getting a DP2
    Best-H

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trying to love the DP1

    Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post
    Get Richards Grip here....

    http://www.kleptography.com/rf/#camera_dp1

    it makes all the difference in the world....

    I can see where the camera slipped on the last frame.....

    Nah...just kiddin'
    shooter
    I support Streetshooter 100%. The grip makes the handling of the camera much better!
    Btw: imo the sigma Ha-11 hood with adapter also help to get a better grip.

    Good luck,
    Roel

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,627
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trying to love the DP1

    i found the voigtlander veiwfinder and shooting manual mode made all the difference in the world for me.

    wayne
    www.pbase.com/wwp

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    484
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trying to love the DP1

    Quote Originally Posted by smokysun View Post
    i found the voigtlander veiwfinder and shooting manual mode made all the difference in the world for me.
    Likewise! I also prefer the Contax G1 / G2 lenshood (or in this case, a Chinese knock-off purchased on eBay then painted black) to the Sigma version because it comes with a cap so I can keep the lens covered between shots.


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trying to love the DP1

    Quote Originally Posted by fordfanjpn View Post
    I use mine in an Artisan&Artist case. Great pics by the way! I hope you learn to love the camera.

    Bill
    Bill, what is the lens cap you are using?

  11. #11
    Senior Member fordfanjpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trying to love the DP1

    Quote Originally Posted by toobacat View Post
    Bill, what is the lens cap you are using?
    It's a Ricoh lens cap that opens up like a flower when the lens extends.

    Here's a link to my original post with a couple more pics.

    http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showth...ight=bling+DP1

    Bill
    Last edited by fordfanjpn; 19th May 2009 at 16:30.

  12. #12
    Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Trying to love the DP1

    I also have the lenshood but don't ever use it.
    It looks too professional. I'm working the tourist
    again and I have to blend in.

    Bill, we doin need no stinkin' fancy cases
    or stinkin' lens hoods 'round here....

  13. #13
    Senior Member fordfanjpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trying to love the DP1

    Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post
    I also have the lenshood but don't ever use it.
    It looks too professional. I'm working the tourist
    again and I have to blend in.

    Bill, we doin need no stinkin' fancy cases
    or stinkin' lens hoods 'round here....
    I always keep either the extension tube with a protection filter, or the Ricoh lens cap on the camera since otherwise the lens is hanging out there naked just waiting to be scratched or something. The case was something I bought on a whim when I first got the DP1, and since I spent about $150 on it, I'm gonna keep using it!

    Bill

  14. #14
    Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Trying to love the DP1

    Bill,
    Just kiddin'. I like the cases but they won't work with the Grip.....
    That Ricoh hood is nice. I had it on the GX-200.....Do you have the mod plan for that...I lost it somewhere ....also is it the same for the 1 & 2...?
    Thanks...Don

  15. #15
    ddk
    Guest

    Re: Trying to love the DP1

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott G View Post
    I really do want to.....
    More than anything it is the fit in my hand, and the handling in general that irritate me. Is there a way to modify the body to make it more ergonomic?
    Good luck with that!

    There seems to be two groups of Sigma users here, the ones who have learnt to put up with it like the few members above and the rest of us like me who couldn't deal with it. In fact, the more time I spent with the Dp-1 the more I hated it. Yes, I pimped it up with grips and finders too but that didn't help, just too frustrating a camera to use, and for what reason.

    The wake-up call came after 6 months of putting up with it and I didn't even have a single keeper to show for my efforts (frustrations!). Like your images here, I resorted to heavy processing to make some of them acceptable, but then it became clear putting all that effort into images which I didn't really care for and would never print is pointless, they remained mediocre at best. Are you willing to photoshop every image in this way so you can bare to look at them?
    Last edited by ddk; 20th May 2009 at 04:46.

  16. #16
    Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Trying to love the DP1

    David,
    True words. The DP cameras require compromise as any other camera.
    I love the GX200 but can't deal with the IQ. The DP's give the IQ
    I like and I release the negative energy the camera can muster
    up.
    "One mans Heaven is another mans Hell".
    I remember my beloved M4's. Pure vision and then I got 2
    M6's. Those red lights made me crazy. I never used a light meter
    for years and then got dependant on those red lights.
    It's all about compromise. Some can, some can't...
    it's a beautiful thing....

  17. #17
    ddk
    Guest

    Re: Trying to love the DP1

    Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post
    David,
    True words. The DP cameras require compromise as any other camera.
    I love the GX200 but can't deal with the IQ. The DP's give the IQ
    I like and I release the negative energy the camera can muster
    up.
    You're a better man than me brother, I could care less about sensor IQ when I don't get the image!

    Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post
    "One mans Heaven is another mans Hell".
    I remember my beloved M4's. Pure vision and then I got 2
    M6's. Those red lights made me crazy. I never used a light meter
    for years and then got dependant on those red lights.
    It's all about compromise. Some can, some can't...
    it's a beautiful thing....
    I hear you, just that my motto when it comes to cameras or any other tool is "make love not war" or I'll dump your A$$ on ebay .
    Last edited by ddk; 20th May 2009 at 08:37.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trying to love the DP1

    May this pic helps to get a little more love to the little Sigma:

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    484
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trying to love the DP1

    Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    The wake-up call came after 6 months of putting up with it and I didn't even have a single keeper to show for my efforts (frustrations!). Like your images here, I resorted to heavy processing to make some of them acceptable, but then it became clear putting all that effort into images which I didn't really care for and would never print is pointless, they remained mediocre at best. Are you willing to photoshop every image in this way so you can bare to look at them?
    The wake-up call for me (I bought a second DP-1 during Amazon's recent $399 sale to replace the one I accidentally destroyed last summer) is that it simply can't reproduce certain shades of red even remotely accurately. I have plenty of "keepers" from my first one -- say what you will about Sigma and its cameras, but there is a certain quality of image the Foveon sensor can produce at times that is unparalled in my experience and for me, those images were worth putting up with all of its many quirks the rest of the time -- but as they say, you can't go home again, so I reluctantly returned it.

    Alas, I forgot to cancel my preorder for the DP-2 at Amazon and have just received an email that it was shipped yesterday, several weeks earlier than expected. I will probably check it out just because, but I'm not optimistic...

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,627
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trying to love the DP1

    are we talking about jpegs or raw? apples and oranges.

    wayne
    www.pbase.com/wwp

  21. #21
    Senior Member fordfanjpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trying to love the DP1

    Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post
    Bill,
    Just kiddin'. I like the cases but they won't work with the Grip.....
    That Ricoh hood is nice. I had it on the GX-200.....Do you have the mod plan for that...I lost it somewhere ....also is it the same for the 1 & 2...?
    Thanks...Don
    I just bought an extra extension tube, cut off everything but the bayonet part that attaches to the camera, and glued the Ricoh cap on to it. It wasn't that big a deal. And the same cap now works for both the 1 and the 2.

    Bill

  22. #22
    Senior Member fordfanjpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trying to love the DP1

    Quote Originally Posted by Audii-Dudii View Post
    Alas, I forgot to cancel my preorder for the DP-2 at Amazon and have just received an email that it was shipped yesterday, several weeks earlier than expected. I will probably check it out just because, but I'm not optimistic...
    The reds seem to be significantly improved in the DP2, so give it a try. I still like the DP1, but I haven't touched another camera since getting the DP2. I'm hooked.

    Bill

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland USA
    Posts
    466
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trying to love the DP1

    Well, I suppose I will answer my own question...

    The DP1 is gone

    I have no issues with the IQ, color, post processing, not even the pathetic battery life or slow write times. It just doesn't fit, plain and simple. I have huge hands, and this isn't a camera I can walk around with comfortably for hours like I can with my M6, and even with the E3 (which fits me perfectly). Bummer.

    Since I got it for free from a friend who didn't like it either (but for different reasons), I certainly got my money's worth! I gave it to another friend, hopefully it will find a happy home.

    It's the gift that keeps on giving
    Last edited by Scott G; 20th May 2009 at 14:11.

  24. #24
    ddk
    Guest

    Re: Trying to love the DP1

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott G View Post
    Well, I suppose I will answer my own question...

    The DP1 is gone

    I have no issues with the IQ, color, post processing, not even the pathetic battery life or slow write times. It just doesn't fit, plain and simple. I have huge hands, and this isn't a camera I can walk around with comfortably for hours like I can with my M6, and even with the E3 (which fits me perfectly). Bummer.

    Since I got it for free from a friend who didn't like it either (but for different reasons), I certainly got my money's worth! I gave it to another friend, hopefully it will find a happy home.

    It's the gift that keeps on giving
    Like Microsoft, there's always an update for something every time you turn on your computer.

  25. #25
    Senior Member fordfanjpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trying to love the DP1

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott G View Post
    Well, I suppose I will answer my own question...

    The DP1 is gone

    I have no issues with the IQ, color, post processing, not even the pathetic battery life or slow write times. It just doesn't fit, plain and simple. I have huge hands, and this isn't a camera I can walk around with comfortably for hours like I can with my M6, and even with the E3 (which fits me perfectly). Bummer.

    Since I got it for free from a friend who didn't like it either (but for different reasons), I certainly got my money's worth! I gave it to another friend, hopefully it will find a happy home.

    It's the gift that keeps on giving
    Scott,

    Sorry to hear that the DP1 didn't work out for you. But it's just a camera, and there are a lot of other choices out there, so the best thing is to find something that works for you and get on with the shooting. No one camera is right for everybody. I wish you the best of luck in finding the one that works for you.

    Bill

  26. #26
    Member MisiekBunnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Eindhoven
    Posts
    54
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trying to love the DP1

    A way to handle it better is with the hood always attached, it has a better grip that way. I have the richard franiec grip for my canon G7, i might give that one a try?

    Anyway, with the adapter and AML-1 close up, it delivers: (bigger on Flickr)




  27. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trying to love the DP1

    I can say, that sometimes the DP1 bring me back to the pure feeling of the moment when I made the shot.....like this one in Nymindegab, Denmark

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •