Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Tin Cans

  1. #1
    Senior Member Don Ellis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    556
    Post Thanks / Like

    Tin Cans



    How could you not love the DP2? I'm interested in photography again.

    This was taken the same lunch hour as the Always Smile girl. Hot, bright sunlight and I’m walking half-blind down a side street (I don’t like shooting with sunglasses on) when I passed this small warehouse. It took two more steps before the bright tin cans, shining in the sun reflected off the concrete, registered.

    I took two steps back – story of my life – and one shot that looked fairly straight and included the lock and here it is.

    It was straight, and all I did was crop it square.

    Sigma DP2, ISO100, 1/50 sec., f/2.8.

    Click on the image for the full-size photo, unsharpened.

    Don
    Last edited by Don Ellis; 20th May 2009 at 02:17.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tin Cans

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Ellis View Post
    It was straight, and all I did was crop it square. Sigma DP2, ISO100, 1/50 sec., f/2.8
    Don, what a great shot. Very well regonized. The DP2 help to get it perfect, but you was the one who catched the moment.

  3. #3
    Senior Member fordfanjpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tin Cans

    Nice one Don. You are definitely bonding with that camera. Are you using a viewfinder or the LCD for framing?

    Bill

  4. #4
    Senior Member Don Ellis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    556
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tin Cans

    Quote Originally Posted by busch63 View Post
    Don, what a great shot. Very well regonized. The DP2 help to get it perfect, but you was the one who catched the moment.
    Thank you... I was blinded by the light, as it were... and definitely helped by the camera.

    After eight years of small-sensor cameras, I find the DP2 to be such a different experience that I'm interested in taking photographs again (I've been slowing down over the last year or so with the Canon G9 and haven't taken an infrared photo in a year... too many choices. ).

    Don

  5. #5
    Senior Member Don Ellis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    556
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tin Cans

    Quote Originally Posted by fordfanjpn View Post
    Nice one Don. You are definitely bonding with that camera. Are you using a viewfinder or the LCD for framing?
    Bill
    Hi Bill... thank you. I am really enjoying this camera... just glad I found it. I'm using the LCD... since I have eight years' practice with the G-series cameras. I'm still considering the viewfinder, but haven't decided yet. After being away from SLRs for so long, I'm not sure I want to be so obvious as to bring a camera to my face and let everyone know I'm taking a photo. We'll see...

    One of the things that impressed me about this camera was the unsharpened detail in the lock, more visible in the full-size version. And seeing a man in the background whom I could reveal if I wanted to lighten the shadows, which I almost never want to do.

    I'm not sure of the etiquette on posting photos here in terms of number or frequency. I don't want to wear out my welcome, so I'll curb my enthusiasm long enough to see if I can find some guidelines.

    I know I was looking for as many DP2 photos as possible before I decided to buy, so that's certainly part of my posting.

    Don
    Last edited by Don Ellis; 20th May 2009 at 14:25.

  6. #6
    Senior Member fordfanjpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tin Cans

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Ellis View Post
    Hi Bill... thank you. I am really enjoying this camera... just glad I found it. I'm using the LCD... since I have eight years' practice with the G-series cameras. I'm still considering the viewfinder, but haven't decided yet. After being away from SLRs for so long, I'm not sure I want to be so obvious as to bring a camera to my face and let everyone know I'm taking a photo. We'll see...

    One of the things that impressed me about this camera was the unsharpened detail in the lock, more visible in the full-size version. And seeing a man in the background whom I could reveal if I wanted to lighten the shadows, which I almost never want to do.

    I'm not sure of the etiquette on posting photos here in terms of number or frequency. I don't want to wear out my welcome, so I'll curb my enthusiasm long enough to see if I can find some guidelines.

    I know I was looking for as many DP2 photos as possible before I decided to buy, so that's certainly part of my posting.

    Don
    Don,

    The camera does surprise you sometimes with how much detail is it able to capture. In my case, I think I'm a bit steadier if I use the viewfinder, but I'll admit it is easier sometimes to use the LCD for framing so you can really see what you're getting. I still mainly use the viewfinder (unless I'm shooting from the hip), but I find myself using the LCD more when I'm shooting vertically. Maybe I need to experiment with this more.

    Jack and Guy have always encouraged the posting of pictures in this forum (it's one of the reasons they started it), so feel free to post away. I know that I for one am very much looking forward to seeing how you get along with the DP2. So keep shooting and keep posting.

    Bill

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,627
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tin Cans

    it's all about the pictures! please post. there is a generous limit and when you hit it, go to user cp, attachments, and subtract a few. and then add some new ones.

    wayne
    www.pbase.com/wwp

  8. #8
    Senior Member fordfanjpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tin Cans

    Quote Originally Posted by smokysun View Post
    it's all about the pictures! please post. there is a generous limit and when you hit it, go to user cp, attachments, and subtract a few. and then add some new ones.

    wayne
    www.pbase.com/wwp
    Or alternatively, you can upload your pics somewhere else (I use Flickr) and just link to them here. That way the sky's the limit.

    Bill

  9. #9
    Senior Member Don Ellis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    556
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tin Cans

    Quote Originally Posted by fordfanjpn View Post
    The camera does surprise you sometimes with how much detail is it able to capture. In my case, I think I'm a bit steadier if I use the viewfinder, but I'll admit it is easier sometimes to use the LCD for framing so you can really see what you're getting. I still mainly use the viewfinder (unless I'm shooting from the hip), but I find myself using the LCD more when I'm shooting vertically. Maybe I need to experiment with this more.

    Jack and Guy have always encouraged the posting of pictures in this forum (it's one of the reasons they started it), so feel free to post away. I know that I for one am very much looking forward to seeing how you get along with the DP2. So keep shooting and keep posting.

    Bill
    If I were a little closer to my SLR days, I would immediately buy the viewfinder, but after so long with the LCD I wonder if it's worth the big bucks to find out if I need one now. I'll keep thinking about that.

    And thanks for the clarification on posting. If the DP2 weren't such a new camera, I would probably post less, but I know I appreciated seeing everyone's work before I bought mine.

    Don

  10. #10
    Senior Member Don Ellis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    556
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tin Cans

    Quote Originally Posted by smokysun View Post
    it's all about the pictures! please post. there is a generous limit and when you hit it, go to user cp, attachments, and subtract a few. and then add some new ones.

    wayne
    www.pbase.com/wwp
    Thanks for the invitation... I will. . And since I have my own website, I don't have to worry about limits.

    Don

  11. #11
    Senior Member fordfanjpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tin Cans

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Ellis View Post
    If I were a little closer to my SLR days, I would immediately buy the viewfinder, but after so long with the LCD I wonder if it's worth the big bucks to find out if I need one now. I'll keep thinking about that.

    And thanks for the clarification on posting. If the DP2 weren't such a new camera, I would probably post less, but I know I appreciated seeing everyone's work before I bought mine.

    Don
    Don, if you're comfortable shooting with the LCD, which you obviously are, then I wouldn't rush to get the finder unless you really want it. The darn things are quite pricey, and if you're not going to get a lot of use out of it, probably not worth the investment. I found a used Voigtlander 40mm finder on evil-bay so I saved a bit of money. And I do use it.

    Bill

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •