The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 and Canon External Flashes

Don Ellis

I've searched but haven't found any answers...

Is there any way to use a Canon 420/430/550/580EX flash on a Sigma DP2? (I have the 550EX.)

I have the Off-Shoe Cord and the Wireless Transmitter, if that's of any value in not electrocuting my new camera. :)

Don

ecliffordsmith

Hi Don,

I am not sure to be honest. You may get some detail on the flashes themselves by asking this question in the Canon forum.

I would suspect that any flash that has manual settings will work but I think with these Canon flashes you are paying a lot for the sophisticated features they have for operation with Canon cameras.

What are you hoping for? A bit more power and bounce? I use an M8 and people have been hoping a compact bounce flash for that and it has never really arrived.

Metz offer a few smallish bounce flashes that are quite inexpensive.

fordfanjpn

I've searched but haven't found any answers...

Is there any way to use a Canon 420/430/550/580EX flash on a Sigma DP2? (I have the 550EX.)

I have the Off-Shoe Cord and the Wireless Transmitter, if that's of any value in not electrocuting my new camera. :)

Don
I think there was some discussion of that in the Sigma part of the DPR forums. Might be worth a look. I didn't pay any attention because I never use flash.

Bill

Don Ellis

What are you hoping for?
To use a flash I already own. :p

And to get TTL metering as a Christmas present. :D

I don't really like flash photography but sometimes, in the dark, that's the only way you're going to get the shot. I would rather not buy a flash I will seldom use... so maybe I won't use one at all if the Canon can't be made to easily work.

Thanks very much for your thoughts, Ed.

Don

Don Ellis

I think there was some discussion of that in the Sigma part of the DPR forums. Might be worth a look. I didn't pay any attention because I never use flash.
Bill
I'll check it out... thanks, Bill. I don't care for flash as well... but the question flashed through my mind, so I thought I'd ask it.

Don

D

ddk

To use a flash I already own. :p

And to get TTL metering as a Christmas present. :D

I don't really like flash photography but sometimes, in the dark, that's the only way you're going to get the shot. I would rather not buy a flash I will seldom use... so maybe I won't use one at all if the Canon can't be made to easily work.

Thanks very much for your thoughts, Ed.

Don
Santa's not coming to dinner so forget about TTL, but I don't see why it wouldn't work in manual mode.

Don Ellis

Santa's not coming to dinner so forget about TTL, but I don't see why it wouldn't work in manual mode.
Don't recall ever believing in Santa, so no disappointments there. I guess my only concern is causing an electrical problem with the camera and burning something out.

That's why I mentioned the wireless transmitter, thinking there was less danger of fusing something.

Thanks,
Don

D

ddk

Don't recall ever believing in Santa, so no disappointments there. I guess my only concern is causing an electrical problem with the camera and burning something out.

That's why I mentioned the wireless transmitter, thinking there was less danger of fusing something.

Thanks,
Don
Nah, there wont be any shorting or fusing going on.

D

ddk

Really? I don't mean to be a skeptical pest about this, but I seem to have read about electrical problems with mismatched flashes and cameras... no?

Thanks,
Don
Don't worry nothing will go wrong as long as both your camera and flash are in the right working order, all that's going to happen is that you wont be able to use some of your flash's capabilities. If you don't believe me, check with Sigma tech support on their website!

Don Ellis

Don't worry nothing will go wrong as long as both your camera and flash are in the right working order, all that's going to happen is that you wont be able to use some of your flash's capabilities. If you don't believe me, check with Sigma tech support on their website!
It's hard not to believe someone so authoritative. :)

Thanks for the reassurance. I'll let you know how it goes.

Don

Really? I don't mean to be a skeptical pest about this, but I seem to have read about electrical problems with mismatched flashes and cameras... no?

Thanks,
Don
Indeed. If the voltage across the contacts is high (and with older strobes it often is) when the flash is charged and ready, it can fry the electronics in many modern cameras. Here is a table with voltages for some strobes:
http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Since Canon digitals have been among the least tolerant ones for high voltages, I´d guess that more recent Canon strobes are safe with most other cameras, but....

Don Ellis

Indeed. If the voltage across the contacts is high (and with older strobes it often is) when the flash is charged and ready, it can fry the electronics in many modern cameras. Here is a table with voltages for some strobes:
http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Since Canon digitals have been among the least tolerant ones for high voltages, I´d guess that more recent Canon strobes are safe with most other cameras, but....
Thank you for that... it would really be a shame to fry my new DP2, especially since I'm not fond of flash in the first place. :p

I wrote to Sigma and we'll see what they say... assuming they reply.

I'll pass whatever I learn along.

Don

Ok, I just heard from Sigma Hong Kong before the Edit feature expired. Here's what they had to say, which I guess is to be expected...

Dear Don,

Thank you for your inquiry.
Because we will not test combination of other than Sigma flashgun.
And we do not recommend other flash nor Canon.
Because it may harm both equipment.

Best Regards,
Sigma Optical (HK) Ltd.
Service Dept.

Last edited: