Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Camera Raw 5.4 & DP2

  1. #1
    Senior Member fordfanjpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Camera Raw 5.4 & DP2

    I tried the beta version of Camera Raw 5.4 on the DP2 files, and I found that SPP still does a better job converting the files. I tried to tweak the settings in Camera Raw to get a better conversion, and while I was able to make it better, the SPP conversions were still significantly better. This of course is IMHO. So it looks like I'll be sticking with SPP.

    Bill

  2. #2
    ddk
    Guest

    Re: Camera Raw 5.4 & DP2

    But now you can use bridge to browse though!

  3. #3
    Senior Member fordfanjpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Camera Raw 5.4 & DP2

    Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    But now you can use bridge to browse though!
    True, but I'll still have to go back to SPP to process, so I might as well browse in SPP too. ACR 5.4 is still beta though, so maybe it will get better.

    Bill

  4. #4
    ddk
    Guest

    Re: Camera Raw 5.4 & DP2

    Quote Originally Posted by fordfanjpn View Post
    True, but I'll still have to go back to SPP to process, so I might as well browse in SPP too. ACR 5.4 is still beta though, so maybe it will get better.

    Bill
    Doubt it, for best results I still have to use my camera specific software for raw conversions and PS for finishing, but I prefer using Bridge for viewing than anything else, even LR.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    206
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    14

    Re: Camera Raw 5.4 & DP2

    I'm surprised that anyone is able to use SPP. Whenever I have tried to use SPP it ends up hogging about 2GB worth of memory and then becomes completely unresponsive. I always end up killing it and then going back to using LR.

    I'm using the 3.2 version of SPP on OS X 10.5.7. Is 3.3 any better, and if it is, does it process DP1 files OK?

    -Thomas

  6. #6
    Senior Member fordfanjpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Camera Raw 5.4 & DP2

    Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    Doubt it, for best results I still have to use my camera specific software for raw conversions and PS for finishing, but I prefer using Bridge for viewing than anything else, even LR.
    Bridge is good for browsing, especially now that it doesn't crash every few minutes like it used to in the "old days." But I guess I'm still a bit nervous about using it because of that.

    Bill

  7. #7
    ddk
    Guest

    Re: Camera Raw 5.4 & DP2

    Quote Originally Posted by trisberg View Post
    I'm surprised that anyone is able to use SPP. Whenever I have tried to use SPP it ends up hogging about 2GB worth of memory and then becomes completely unresponsive. I always end up killing it and then going back to using LR.

    I'm using the 3.2 version of SPP on OS X 10.5.7. Is 3.3 any better, and if it is, does it process DP1 files OK?

    -Thomas
    Having to use SPP was another reason for me not to keep my DP1!

  8. #8
    Senior Member Don Ellis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    556
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Camera Raw 5.4 & DP2

    Quote Originally Posted by fordfanjpn View Post
    I tried the beta version of Camera Raw 5.4 on the DP2 files, and I found that SPP still does a better job converting the files. I tried to tweak the settings in Camera Raw to get a better conversion, and while I was able to make it better, the SPP conversions were still significantly better. This of course is IMHO. So it looks like I'll be sticking with SPP.

    Bill
    I agree, Bill.

    Before buying the DP2, I downloaded Carl Rytterfalk’s first packet of RAW images and converted them in SSP 3.5. So when ACR 5.4 came out, I converted the same seven images in Photoshop.

    Set both programs to Auto and let them have their way with the images. I liked the SSP output best. Here’s a 100% crop of the yellow tulip in one of Carl’s images…



    Obviously, there will be people who say, But I can do that in ACR with sliders. Yes, but I didn't have to, and there are sliders in SSP, as well. ACR 5.4 is a beta, so I'll keep an eye on the release version, but for the moment, SSP is doing fine.

    As for viewing, I love ACDSee Classic 2.43… a program I’ve used for years and one of the fastest viewers around. One happy discovery I made is that it views X3F files as quickly and easily as if they were JPGs, so I have a full-screen and/or full-size previews to help me decide to keep or delete images.

    Then I convert the survivors in SSP 3.5. And drag the images (one or many) I want to work on into Photoshop from ACDSee.

    In the interest of fairness, I will, for awhile, convert in both programs and compare their output. This is another area that ACDSee excels. I find it much easier to spot differences in images by flipping back and forth, full-screen, between them, rather than viewing them side by side.

    Cheers,
    Don

  9. #9
    Senior Member fordfanjpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Camera Raw 5.4 & DP2

    Quote Originally Posted by trisberg View Post
    I'm surprised that anyone is able to use SPP. Whenever I have tried to use SPP it ends up hogging about 2GB worth of memory and then becomes completely unresponsive. I always end up killing it and then going back to using LR.

    I'm using the 3.2 version of SPP on OS X 10.5.7. Is 3.3 any better, and if it is, does it process DP1 files OK?

    -Thomas
    I'm running 3.3 on an Intel Mac Mini with 4GB of memory, and it runs fairly well. It does lock up occasionally but if I force it to quit and restart, then it's OK for a while. It's a bit of a pain, but it doesn't really bother me. And for me, the results are worth the effort. As far as I can tell, it works just fine with the DP1 files too.

    Bill

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •