The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP1 Plane Views

DavidE

A few window shots using the DP1. The small size lets you easily pull it from your bag when the terrain looks interesting.

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the images don't load the first time.]

DavidE

Thanks, Wayne. One of the few consolations of traveling by air is being able to snap photos of ever-changing landscapes.

Here's another one.

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the image doesn't load the first time.]

arashm

Actually even more fun is jumping out of the plane and chasing the guy in front of you :D

shot with a little canon SD 700
am

(can someone please stop me from posting... I must have a million images of the earth out the plan window)

fordfanjpn

Actually even more fun is jumping out of the plane and chasing the guy in front of you :D

shot with a little canon SD 700
Wow, what a great shot! I get dizzy just looking at that. I take it the chute opened up without incident. ;)

Bill

DavidE

Thanks, Will.

Arashm, yikes that's some view!

Wayne, if you go, be sure to book a window seat and bring your camera on-board. You never know what you may see out of the window.

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the images don't load the first time.]

DavidE

Thanks, Arashm. The desert shots seem to work especially well in black and white.

In case anyone is wondering... yes, I do tend to sit in roughly the same place each time. I prefer the back of the plane to increase the odds I'll be able to stow my bag on-board. Not sure why I settled on the left side. Turns out it's a good position for aerial views that include the wing off to the side.

DavidE

A few more.

arashm

David
These images are beautiful, they would be fantastic printed large.
curious how you get the slight warm tone, reminds me of the old days when you ran a b+w print through kodak bleach for a few seconds and then through the stinky sepia toner for a few seconds to get that hint of warmth as apposed to full sepia, (wow that feels like it was ages ago...)
I also like the sharp drop-off to black on top of the images, are you shooting Raw or Jpeg if I may ask.
sigh you people on this forum are going to make me buy a DP1 or 2 aren't you :D
Thank you so much for sharing.
am

DavidE

David
curious how you get the slight warm tone
I'm using a split tone (two color) process. Each tint gets a 10-percent saturation level so the colors don't take over the image. Stumbled into it through trial and error.

are you shooting Raw or Jpeg if I may ask
I shoot everything in RAW.

The same processing applied to a photo that looks up at the sky.

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the image doesn't load the first time.]

Last edited:

DavidE

Two more. All of these were shot with ISO 100.

DavidE

David
thank you for your note and the additional images, I've really enjoyed them.
am
I'm surprised so many came out so well. It's testament to the DP1's image quality and the incredible landscapes you can see on a cross-country flight.

arashm

Hello
here are two more from me
first one is flying into the morning
and the second one is from under canopy again, at about 2,000 feet
(lot's of time to break out a point and shoot and grab some snaps :p )
am

DavidE

Hello
here are two more from me
first one is flying into the morning
and the second one is from under canopy again, at about 2,000 feet
(lot's of time to break out a point and shoot and grab some snaps :p )
am
I especially like the second one. What camera were you using? The lens looks wide-angle.

arashm

Yes
it's actually the Canon S60
it had a 28mm lens but it was mushy in the corners.
it was also very big to fit inside my jump suite so I only had it for a short time.
I should go see if I can dig out some of the cloud shots from a few years back.
thanks
am