The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Compact for Street Photography

deckitout

I want a small Compact for carrying about for use with snaps and some streeet Photography.

Have considered an Lx3 but not sure if it's long enough at the tele end

I have not been in the compact market for some time and would appreciate some advice on what people consider would be a good option

I would prefer the option of raw, but not essential

Thanks

Phil

fordfanjpn

I want a small Compact for carrying about for use with snaps and some streeet Photography.

Have considered an Lx3 but not sure if it's long enough at the tele end

I have not been in the compact market for some time and would appreciate some advice on what people consider would be a good option

I would prefer the option of raw, but not essential

Thanks

Phil
Phil, if the LX3 is not long enough for you, you might take a look at the Fuji F200EXR. Michael Reichmann did a review of 3 small cameras, including the LX3 and the F200EXR, so you could take a look at that (it's on the Luminous Landscape website). I think from there you are going to step down into a very large pool of compact camera possibilities. Many of which are quite capable performers and have their own groups of fans.

You should also take some time to look around the Small Sensor Forum here and see what other people are using. In any case, I wish you the best of luck in finding something that will work for you. So many cameras, so little time (or in my case, so little money!). :)

Bill

thomasl.se

I've used an LX3 for a month; while otherwise a fast and responsive compact, one thing that's bugging me is dialing in the zoom on each startup. A step zoom as in GX100/200 would be excellent if somehow that could be implemented via firmware; very nice too would be if last used focal length was automatically dialed in on startup and/or could be user preset on the 2 programmables on the mode dial.

My personally most used FL is 2 nudges down from 60, so easy enough to dial in - and with a minimum of practicing these nudges, it always lands at 52, so effectively a step zoom - but it always starts up by sending the lens out to the wide end.

Terry

I've used an LX3 for a month; while otherwise a fast and responsive compact, one thing that's bugging me is dialing in the zoom on each startup. A step zoom as in GX100/200 would be excellent if somehow that could be implemented via firmware; very nice too would be if last used focal length was automatically dialed in on startup and/or could be user preset on the 2 programmables on the mode dial.

My personally most used FL is 2 nudges down from 60, so easy enough to dial in - and with a minimum of practicing these nudges, it always lands at 52, so effectively a step zoom - but it always starts up by sending the lens out to the wide end.
I don't have the LX3 but on some of my other Panasonic cameras the was a menu item called zoom resume which took you back to your last focal length before turning off. Have a look at the manual.

iiiNelson

I use a D-Lux 4 which is essentially the same as the LX3. I like it a lot and I was concerned about the zoom length before I got it as well. I make it work for me as I normally use it in combination with the G1 unless I'm out at night and only need something for close shots.

Another option would be the Canon G10 if you want a longer zoom.

Terry

The other compact to watch out for will be announced in two weeks by Olympus. If I was unsure of what camera to buy I would wait. I know everyone says there will always be new things coming and why delay....but the Oly could be a very interesting new entrant.

iiiNelson

That's true too and it's kinda holding me on buying the new 7-14mm and or and extra G1/ GH1 body right now.

cjlacz

I really like the GRDII too. It's my choice for street shooting and the RAWs make great B&Ws. You might try the GX200 if you want a zoom and I believe the my settings will store your zoom length and set it on startup. Not 100% sure since I don't own one, but pretty sure. It can even save your manual focus distance too, if you want something other then what snap is set to. It's too far for me.

thomasl.se

I don't have the LX3 but on some of my other Panasonic cameras the was a menu item called zoom resume which took you back to your last focal length before turning off. Have a look at the manual.
What a life saver, if I can find it. I did have a look at the manual already... maybe I should actually read it too.

Having browsed, searched and scanned hi and lo through the manual now, I can't spot any mention at all of this regarding to zoom and startup. But thanks for the heads-up; if I can't find this info elsewhere either, it's a feature big enough that I'll phone Pana about it.

Thomas

edit:

According to Pana,
Zoom Resume : "n/a". Seems it's an option on TZ3/5 (maybe other models too?)
I can only wonder what happened with that feature; omitted on their "enthusiast" compact. What kind of sense does that make? Don't count on goodwill points if the omission is for the purpose of marketing a successor with it included.

Last edited:

deckitout

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I had considered the Canon G10 but it's over 400 ukp, the LX3 really appeals as well.

The Camera is for those times I just cannot be bothered to lug my DSLR about, something to just stick in your pocket. Some of the images on here are most impressive indeed, well done to all.

Thanks
Phil

Terry

What a life saver, if I can find it. I did have a look at the manual already... maybe I should actually read it too.

Having browsed, searched and scanned hi and lo through the manual now, I can't spot any mention at all of this regarding to zoom and startup. But thanks for the heads-up; if I can't find this info elsewhere either, it's a feature big enough that I'll phone Pana about it.

Thomas

edit:

According to Pana,
Zoom Resume : "n/a". Seems it's an option on TZ3/5 (maybe other models too?)
I can only wonder what happened with that feature; omitted on their "enthusiast" compact. What kind of sense does that make? Don't count on goodwill points if the omission is for the purpose of marketing a successor with it included.
The two cameras where I've had it have been 10x and 12x zooms where this feature is more important that ok the zoom range I the LX3. I will say sometimes it was useful an other times when you turned the camera on, you wanted to curse.

thomasl.se

The two cameras where I've had it have been 10x and 12x zooms where this feature is more important that ok the zoom range I the LX3. I will say sometimes it was useful an other times when you turned the camera on, you wanted to curse.
Isn't there a speed zoom option as well on those? As I see it, it's more than a neat feature regardless of zoom range. Possibly some will get the LX3 mainly for its wide end; whereas many more users may prefer startup FL of 28/35/50. I can't dial in 50, but 52 is fine albeit a matter of zooming in to 60 and nudge it down twice; while easy and reliable enough, it's never too speedy. Mid-range 35 is hit or miss, or seems at least a bit of practice.

Certainly, this may not even have made top 10 on many wish lists for compact just a few years ago, but hey that's not to say I won't phone Pana tomorrow and weep about it.

Terry

Sorry for my hideous iPhone typing in my last post! You got the gist of it but you probably shook your head a little bit trying to understand what I was saying.

smokysun

take a look at http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/BrandTableOfContent.aspx
for some older cameras.

the fuji 30 and 31 have never been beaten for their lowlight capabilities.

the canon s70 very sturdy and has raw.

the canon g6 has a 2.0 lens.

the olympus 5050 and 8080 used by a famous photojournalist to great acclaim.

half the fun is doing the research. go to http://www.dpreview.com/ and check out their camera database. some object to their reviews, but you can read dozens of user responses.

good luck,
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

ps. one thing, go back far enough and you'll find some shutter lag, a problem that has been solved.

thomasl.se

Sorry for my hideous iPhone typing in my last post! You got the gist of it but you probably shook your head a little bit trying to understand what I was saying.
No problems there, I just zoomed in on useful and curse and applied on the LX3.

I had my hopes up there for a little while, but now back to anticipating the new Oly no less than before their teaser fest kicked off.

V

VladimirV

You might try the GX200 if you want a zoom and I believe the my settings will store your zoom length and set it on startup. Not 100% sure since I don't own one, but pretty sure. It can even save your manual focus distance too, if you want something other then what snap is set to. It's too far for me.
Yes, the GX200 will remember everything including your zoom position and all other settings, you can even save them on the 3 My Settings positions and so makes it possible to have 4 different profiles easily accessible over the mode dial.