Site Sponsors

Thread: New GRD2 user - Picasa/Noise Ninja question

DominicPerry

New GRD2 user - Picasa/Noise Ninja question

Hi all, I've just got a GRD2, very happy with it, decision made after seeing the photos on this forum and reading Sean's review.

Here's the questions.
    1) I have Picasa which reads DNG files. It shows a much darker file than the Fine jpeg which also imports. the histogram shows nothing up the right-hand end of the scale on the DNG, but the jpeg does. Why? Does it matter?

2) When I try to use Silkypix or Lightroom or LightZone or Capture One, I get a very different 'raw' RAW image (on screen) from the one shown in Picasa. Is this because all these programs do some processing on import? Can I stop that?

3) If I export a full resolution DNG to jpeg from Picasa I get a 20MB file which I can import into Noise Ninja, which looks the same as the RAW file in Picasa. I can get a much better on-screen noise reduction in Noise Ninja than any of the above programs. No-one here mentions noise ninja, am I missing something?

Many thanks

Dominic

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New GRD2 user - Picasa/Noise Ninja question

Dominic,

I can't talk to your first two questions, but I use Noise Ninja (with CS3) and I think there are two main reasons it may not be discussed that much:

1. It is a additional program that costs a moderate amount. Many people may feel it is not necessary because,

2. Programs like CS3 etc, now have much more comprehensive noise reduction routines built-in, precluding the absolute need for a 3rd party program/plug-in.

Cheers,

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

When I try to use Silkypix or Lightroom or LightZone or Capture One, I get a very different 'raw' RAW image (on screen) from the one shown in Picasa. Is this because all these programs do some processing on import? Can I stop that?
    Each program processes the RAW file in its own way, much like how Rodinal was different from D-76 or Dektol or Ilford. Think of it as a feature and not a bug- you get more options!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post
    Each program processes the RAW file in its own way, much like how Rodinal was different from D-76 or Dektol or Ilford. Think of it as a feature and not a bug- you get more options!
    That's an excellent way of putting it ....... Thanks

Sean_Reid

Also...different programs start with different default settings.

Cheers,

Sean