The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New GRD2 user - Picasa/Noise Ninja question

D

DominicPerry

Hi all, I've just got a GRD2, very happy with it, decision made after seeing the photos on this forum and reading Sean's review.

Here's the questions.
1) I have Picasa which reads DNG files. It shows a much darker file than the Fine jpeg which also imports. the histogram shows nothing up the right-hand end of the scale on the DNG, but the jpeg does. Why? Does it matter?

2) When I try to use Silkypix or Lightroom or LightZone or Capture One, I get a very different 'raw' RAW image (on screen) from the one shown in Picasa. Is this because all these programs do some processing on import? Can I stop that?

3) If I export a full resolution DNG to jpeg from Picasa I get a 20MB file which I can import into Noise Ninja, which looks the same as the RAW file in Picasa. I can get a much better on-screen noise reduction in Noise Ninja than any of the above programs. No-one here mentions noise ninja, am I missing something?

Many thanks

Dominic

simonclivehughes

Dominic,

I can't talk to your first two questions, but I use Noise Ninja (with CS3) and I think there are two main reasons it may not be discussed that much:

1. It is a additional program that costs a moderate amount. Many people may feel it is not necessary because,

2. Programs like CS3 etc, now have much more comprehensive noise reduction routines built-in, precluding the absolute need for a 3rd party program/plug-in.

Cheers,

Maggie O

When I try to use Silkypix or Lightroom or LightZone or Capture One, I get a very different 'raw' RAW image (on screen) from the one shown in Picasa. Is this because all these programs do some processing on import? Can I stop that?
Each program processes the RAW file in its own way, much like how Rodinal was different from D-76 or Dektol or Ilford. Think of it as a feature and not a bug- you get more options!

ShiroKuro

Each program processes the RAW file in its own way, much like how Rodinal was different from D-76 or Dektol or Ilford. Think of it as a feature and not a bug- you get more options!
That's an excellent way of putting it ....... Thanks

S

Sean_Reid

Also...different programs start with different default settings.

Cheers,

Sean