The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Village Dog

Don Ellis

Last one for the evening...

When I processed this DP2 photo in SSP 3.5, it looked all right, in terms of showing just another photo the camera could take. And then I popped it up to full-size and the dog entered an entirely new dimension. I must say that I almost hate to see DP2 shots in less that full resolution, because once you've seen the entire photo, you realize you're missing a lot of their impact in smaller sizes.

So here's a snapshot, literally, of one of our village dogs. I leave him pretty much alone when we meet, so he's not unfriendly, but when I get close, he usually hoists himself up in case he needs to move. I raised the camera, took this single one-handed shot, and walked away to leave him in peace.

If you want to see him come alive, click on the image for the full-size photo, very lightly sharpened. (If there's one thing I've found with DP2 images, it's that they need very little sharpening.) The photo could use a little cropping and straightening, and it's nothing in terms of art, but I've left it as it was shot so you can have a look at what the camera does.

Sigma DP2, P mode (accidentally), ISO100, 1/80s, f/3.5. RAW processed in SSP 3.5.

Don

Diane B

You are exactly right. He does--come alive--all the detail (look at his head, his chest--and his eyes), the subject isolation with focus falling off behind him leaving him as the obvious subject. Its really very different from a web sized shot--and why I love to print, but then not many besides me get to see the larger prints unless they get sold.

This is a really cool little camera that is in the right hands here. Besides which, between you and Bill I'm getting lots of local color in Hong Kong and Tokyo LOL.

Diane

Diane

Don Ellis

You are exactly right. He does--come alive--all the detail (look at his head, his chest--and his eyes), the subject isolation with focus falling off behind him leaving him as the obvious subject. Its really very different from a web sized shot--and why I love to print, but then not many besides me get to see the larger prints unless they get sold.
Hi Diane,

My first thought when I saw the tram photo I posted in another thread was, Let's print this. It turned out beautifully as a 12x18-inch print and I will be trying it larger to see how it looks. That was a street shot, so I might try this guy, as well, so I can see how large you can print and still see fine detail. In either case, I can see myself printing more with this camera than any other camera I've owned... that, too, is a revelation... everything before has just been destined for the web.

This is a really cool little camera that is in the right hands here. Besides which, between you and Bill I'm getting lots of local color in Hong Kong and Tokyo LOL.
Diane
If Bill is like me, he's finding new excuses to look around and find things to shoot. Or to shoot old favourites just to see how they look with the new camera.

Thanks for the nice compliment... I'm glad you're enjoying what are really some pretty pedestrian photos made more interesting by the capabilities of this camera. Dynamic range and depth of field... like old friends come to visit. And all from a camera smaller than my G9.

Don

Don Ellis

Almost want to reach out , give him a stroke and feel the fur...
He looks like he could use it, too, doesn't he? What's interesting is that you see things with this camera -- any camera, really -- that you don't see when you're taking the photo. At least I do.

You have to time to really look around the image, although in this case, the first thing that struck me were the sad eyes. We've lived in the village for ten years now and have seen a few village dogs grow up and pass on... it was interesting for me to realize that he's getting much older now. I didn't see his mate/sister around... perhaps she's already gone.

Don

Lili

Don, that image viewed large is incredible in detail and background isolation.
Poor Doggie needs loving home

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Your enthusiasm for the DP2 is contagious. It's cool to be so pleasantly surprised by a camera, regardless of its size or price.

I couldn't help but notice, and this is pretty far OT, but that is one spotless alleyway. I can't imagine a similar area in any city in the U.S. being quite that clean.

Don Ellis

Your enthusiasm for the DP2 is contagious. It's cool to be so pleasantly surprised by a camera, regardless of its size or price.
It is, isn't it? I started with Nikon SLRs, then moved to Canon for compact digitals in 2001, so I'm not particularly brand loyal. I do my research, decide what I think is best for me and then just share my reactions with friends. The DP2 has been a lovely surprise and it's nice to get back some of those features I've missed since I sold my Nikon gear.

I couldn't help but notice, and this is pretty far OT, but that is one spotless alleyway. I can't imagine a similar area in any city in the U.S. being quite that clean.
What can I say? I live in a nice village. ;) But then all of Hong Kong is pretty clean.

Cheers,
Don

N

nei1

If the camera can transmit such presence from a dog I think its going to be an ace at portraits.Thats if youre new friend gives permission.I wonder what his views are on the economy?