The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

pocketability

H

hiro

Re. the GX100, Ricoh's stated thickness of 25mm is seriously misleading. Really it varies between 30 & 40mm thick. Real size is virtually the same as the Panasonic TZ1 or TZ3 (unlike Ricoh, Panasonic seem to quote their camera sizes honestly). If you add the GX100 viewfinder, this protrudes an additional 15mm at the back, making the camera 55mm deep where the lens is, and adding 25mm to the height.

Without the viewfinder, I find the GX100 will fit in a shirt pocket, it feels a bit heavy but it's ok. Once you fit the viewfinder the shape becomes very awkward and it will only fit in a coat pocket. However I find that with the camera placed vertically in the inside pocket of my coat the viewfinder projection fits the curve of my body and the camera is light enough that I don't really feel it's there (in fact I sometimes find myself patting the front of my coat to reassure myself it's still there!)

If you then add the DW6 ultra-wide adaptor you're talking about something which is actually less pocketable than a compact SLR due to the awkward projections (it will no longer fit my inside coat pocket), though it's still much lighter than an SLR.

Re. dust, I always keep the camera in a polythene bag, never bare in my pocket. I would prefer to keep it in a slimline case but I can't find anything the right size (the viewfinder makes things awkward here). I really wish Ricoh had bitten the bullet and built the EVF into the camera, the way it protrudes both upwards and backwards is a real nuisance, but personally I find a viewfinder essential and so leaving it off is not an option.

Lili

Sure it is. I've been watching those posts with interest. You're photographing ordinary things you see as you drive - its interesting.

As for the pocket debate...<G> I've always had cameras, in cases, in my pockets and they've been just fine. It's handy. To each his or her own.

Cheers,

Sean

Cheers,

Sean

Why thank you, Sean :)
As regards pocket carry; you are wise enough to use a case, that helps cut down on lint :)
I conversely despise fanny packs or other belt carry.
Big purses are a blessing :)

J

Joe Dasbach

How do the sizes of the GRD-2 and GX-100 compare to their cousin the GR1s film camera?
-Joe

Brian Mosley

This is an interesting thread, and an aspect I hadn't considered when comparing the GRD-2 with the upcoming Sigma DP1. The GRD-2 looks extremely pocket friendly - which is important when you want to have it with you at all times.

Thanks for the comments everyone, and nice shots Lili

Kind Regards

Brian

S

Sun

Here's a comparison I posted not too long ago somewhere else..
Though I'm not sure if the dimensions are all perfectly correct..

Lili

This is an interesting thread, and an aspect I hadn't considered when comparing the GRD-2 with the upcoming Sigma DP1. The GRD-2 looks extremely pocket friendly - which is important when you want to have it with you at all times.

Thanks for the comments everyone, and nice shots Lili

Kind Regards

Brian
Thank you Brian :)

Will

How do the sizes of the GRD-2 and GX-100 compare to their cousin the GR1s film camera?
-Joe
They are the same depth but the film camera is about 2mm higher and about 8 mm longer. The film camera does however have a built in OVF so if you were to add an OVF to the GRD cameras they would be much less pocketable than the GR-1

jonoslack

get yourself a nice manbag. that's what i carry mine in. :)
Ah, I couldn't agree more . . . . but if you have a nice man bag, then it has room for an M8 and a small lens (or three), in which case you can forget about a little camera altogether.
:)

D

Daz Tazer

unfortunately i can't afford a M8. plus i have to carry other items in my bag as well.

M

Mitch Alland

They are the same depth but the film camera is about 2mm higher and about 8 mm longer. The film camera does however have a built in OVF so if you were to add an OVF to the GRD cameras they would be much less pocketable than the GR-1
While the GR1 was a popular and successful camera, particularly in Japan, it was criticised for its poor builtin OVF. Indeed, the reason that Ricoh gives for using an external OVF in the GRD is that they wanted to be able to provide a higher quality one and provide the flexibility of using the LCD itself, which, obviously, the GR1 didi not have.

—Mitch/Bangkok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/

M

Mitch Alland

Ah, I couldn't agree more . . . . but if you have a nice man bag, then it has room for an M8 and a small lens (or three), in which case you can forget about a little camera altogether.
:)
But there is a world of difference in having a camera as small as the GRD that you can gave with you all the time and an M8 that you need to carry in a bag that you won't.

—Mitch/Bangkok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/

Will

I've found out that the GRD2 with the GV-2 attached just fits in my Samsonite Makemo 40, having added another strip of velcro. Bit of a snug fit, but it does fit.