Site Sponsors

Thread: pocketability

Post Thanks / Like

pocketability

Because it is hard to find a Ricoh to actually touch, what's the consensus on pocketability?

As a reference, I find the D-Lux 3 to be borderline pocketable. The protruding lens makes it a little tough to fit into the back pocket of jeans. It looks like the GR-2 would be easier as the bulge part is roughly the same width as the lens (and there is no lens cap). The GX-100 seems to be a bit bigger, both from a measurement standpoint and with the width of lens and lens cap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: pocketability

I can slide the GRD-2 in the back pocket of my pants, although I'm not sure I'd want to keep it there. It's not as slim as some cameras out there, but it will fit a lot better then the D-Lux or GX-100. It's one of the reasons I bought it and the fact it doesn't have a lens cap. The GX-100 has some pointy bits around the flash I didn't like.

David Paul Carr

Could you give us some idea of the size of your pockets?

Preston

I carry one in my front jeans pocket every day. I think it's OK for that, but I would not be able to do it if it were any larger. I have a D-Lux 3 which also very small, bu it won't fit comfortably in a pocket, so I rarely use it.

Mitch Alland

In my view too much is being made here of of the idea of carrying the camera in the pocket. Pockets usually have lint or worse; and are often subject to pressure or shocks that could damage the leaves over the lens. Much better, not to speak of more comfortable and convenient, to use the case made for the camera and wear it on your belt.

—Mitch/Bangkok
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Alland View Post
    In my view too much is being made here of of the idea of carrying the camera in the pocket. Pockets usually have lint or worse; and are often subject to pressure or shocks that could damage the leaves over the lens. Much better, not to speak of more comfortable and convenient, to use the case made for the camera and wear it on your belt.

—Mitch/Bangkok
    I agree with Mitch. I wonder if a lot of the dust issues people report are due to pocket carry with no case.
    I keep my GRD in a Lowepro bag in my purse, much safer (and cleaner) that way!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lili View Post
    I agree with Mitch. I wonder if a lot of the dust issues people report are due to pocket carry with no case.
    I keep my GRD in a Lowepro bag in my purse, much safer (and cleaner) that way!
    Such a good advantage for women On a serious note, I too agree with Mitch and Lili. Best way is to hook it on the belt. But I wish one day Ricoh will make GX and GRDs of the size of sony T series. they are the best cams to carry in the pocket.

Sean_Reid

I carry the GR2 in the inside breast pocket of my winter coat. It's also inside the leather case.

Cheers,

Sean

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it just depends on what you're used to. I have carried my SD400 in my back pocket (usually jeans) all over the place. Never had a problem with dust or lint, and I don't put it into a pocket with anything else. It will generally travel in a small padded nylon case in a backpack otherwise (same with the DL3), but once in use on the street it is nice to be able to quickly slip it back into my pocket and do what I need to do.

As for pocket size, I keep getting emails about pills to enlarge them but I don't think they'll actually work
    Last edited by nostatic; 15th February 2008 at 07:23.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Haha on the pills. Well, it's not like back pockets are well known for collecting lots of lint so you'll probably be ok. I think you'll be happy with the GRD-2, I know i have been.

Post Thanks / Like

As long as it takes to get a GRD repaired, or cleaned, I think putting it in a pants pocket is asking for trouble, so I haven't done it. I keep mine in a sandwich bag and in my t-shirt pocket or my coat pocket, when it's not in my hand. I don't wear a belt and really don't like tight things around my waist, so that's not really an option for me. I still haven't found a padded sunglass case that it will easily slide in and out of, but I think that would be the best option for me.

7ian7

The Filson travel vest is way less bulky and ... ugly .. than any photo vest I've seen. It disappears under sportjackets, denim shirts, etc. NYC hipsters, fashionistas and other suspect types are always interested in this garment when they discover it beneath my coat, which is ... sort of an endorsement. : )

http://www.filson.com/product/index....ductId=2092516

Post Thanks / Like

A padded pouch that came with a portable hard drive has worked perfectly for me. It's even stretchable enough to get the camera with the gv-2 attached inside. Also hate wearing things on the belt.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The lack of a lens cap is another thing moving me towards the GR-D II. The D-Lux 3's lens cap makes it impractical for grabbing quick shots in the car.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 7ian7 View Post
    The Filson travel vest is way less bulky and ... ugly .. than any photo vest I've seen. It disappears under sportjackets, denim shirts, etc. NYC hipsters, fashionistas and other suspect types are always interested in this garment when they discover it beneath my coat, which is ... sort of an endorsement. : )

http://www.filson.com/product/index....ductId=2092516
    Ian, that IS rather nice

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post
    The lack of a lens cap is another thing moving me towards the GR-D II. The D-Lux 3's lens cap makes it impractical for grabbing quick shots in the car.
    Maggie, thats exactly why I can use my GRD for this series

Tho this might not be the best advertisement

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Lili, I absolutely had you (and Sean) in mind!!!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Lili, I absolutely had you (and Sean) in mind!!!
    Yay, I am in good company then

Post Thanks / Like

you just need to learn to steer with your knees

One advantage to being a 3rd generation southern Californian (all 5 of us). You'd be amazed what I can do while driving.

umm...err...no pics, please

Sean_Reid

Quote Originally Posted by Lili View Post
    Tho this might not be the best advertisement
    Sure it is. I've been watching those posts with interest. You're photographing ordinary things you see as you drive - its interesting.

As for the pocket debate...<G> I've always had cameras, in cases, in my pockets and they've been just fine. It's handy. To each his or her own.

Cheers,

Sean

Cheers,

Sean

hiro

Re. the GX100, Ricoh's stated thickness of 25mm is seriously misleading. Really it varies between 30 & 40mm thick. Real size is virtually the same as the Panasonic TZ1 or TZ3 (unlike Ricoh, Panasonic seem to quote their camera sizes honestly). If you add the GX100 viewfinder, this protrudes an additional 15mm at the back, making the camera 55mm deep where the lens is, and adding 25mm to the height.

Without the viewfinder, I find the GX100 will fit in a shirt pocket, it feels a bit heavy but it's ok. Once you fit the viewfinder the shape becomes very awkward and it will only fit in a coat pocket. However I find that with the camera placed vertically in the inside pocket of my coat the viewfinder projection fits the curve of my body and the camera is light enough that I don't really feel it's there (in fact I sometimes find myself patting the front of my coat to reassure myself it's still there!)

If you then add the DW6 ultra-wide adaptor you're talking about something which is actually less pocketable than a compact SLR due to the awkward projections (it will no longer fit my inside coat pocket), though it's still much lighter than an SLR.

Re. dust, I always keep the camera in a polythene bag, never bare in my pocket. I would prefer to keep it in a slimline case but I can't find anything the right size (the viewfinder makes things awkward here). I really wish Ricoh had bitten the bullet and built the EVF into the camera, the way it protrudes both upwards and backwards is a real nuisance, but personally I find a viewfinder essential and so leaving it off is not an option.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sean_Reid View Post
    Sure it is. I've been watching those posts with interest. You're photographing ordinary things you see as you drive - its interesting.

As for the pocket debate...<G> I've always had cameras, in cases, in my pockets and they've been just fine. It's handy. To each his or her own.

Cheers,

Sean

Cheers,

Sean

Why thank you, Sean
    As regards pocket carry; you are wise enough to use a case, that helps cut down on lint
    I conversely despise fanny packs or other belt carry.
    Big purses are a blessing

Joe Dasbach

How do the sizes of the GRD-2 and GX-100 compare to their cousin the GR1s film camera?
    -Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is an interesting thread, and an aspect I hadn't considered when comparing the GRD-2 with the upcoming Sigma DP1. The GRD-2 looks extremely pocket friendly - which is important when you want to have it with you at all times.

Thanks for the comments everyone, and nice shots Lili

Kind Regards

Brian

Sun

Here's a comparison I posted not too long ago somewhere else..
    Though I'm not sure if the dimensions are all perfectly correct..

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    This is an interesting thread, and an aspect I hadn't considered when comparing the GRD-2 with the upcoming Sigma DP1. The GRD-2 looks extremely pocket friendly - which is important when you want to have it with you at all times.

Thanks for the comments everyone, and nice shots Lili

Kind Regards

Brian
    Thank you Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Dasbach View Post
    How do the sizes of the GRD-2 and GX-100 compare to their cousin the GR1s film camera?
    -Joe
    They are the same depth but the film camera is about 2mm higher and about 8 mm longer. The film camera does however have a built in OVF so if you were to add an OVF to the GRD cameras they would be much less pocketable than the GR-1

Daz Tazer

get yourself a nice manbag. that's what i carry mine in.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Daz Tazer View Post
    get yourself a nice manbag. that's what i carry mine in.
    Ah, I couldn't agree more . . . . but if you have a nice man bag, then it has room for an M8 and a small lens (or three), in which case you can forget about a little camera altogether.

Just this guy you know

Daz Tazer

unfortunately i can't afford a M8. plus i have to carry other items in my bag as well.

Mitch Alland

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    They are the same depth but the film camera is about 2mm higher and about 8 mm longer. The film camera does however have a built in OVF so if you were to add an OVF to the GRD cameras they would be much less pocketable than the GR-1
    While the GR1 was a popular and successful camera, particularly in Japan, it was criticised for its poor builtin OVF. Indeed, the reason that Ricoh gives for using an external OVF in the GRD is that they wanted to be able to provide a higher quality one and provide the flexibility of using the LCD itself, which, obviously, the GR1 didi not have.

—Mitch/Bangkok

Mitch Alland

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Ah, I couldn't agree more . . . . but if you have a nice man bag, then it has room for an M8 and a small lens (or three), in which case you can forget about a little camera altogether.
    But there is a world of difference in having a camera as small as the GRD that you can gave with you all the time and an M8 that you need to carry in a bag that you won't.

—Mitch/Bangkok

Post Thanks / Like

I've found out that the GRD2 with the GV-2 attached just fits in my Samsonite Makemo 40, having added another strip of velcro. Bit of a snug fit, but it does fit.