The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

pocketability

nostatic

Because it is hard to find a Ricoh to actually touch, what's the consensus on pocketability?

As a reference, I find the D-Lux 3 to be borderline pocketable. The protruding lens makes it a little tough to fit into the back pocket of jeans. It looks like the GR-2 would be easier as the bulge part is roughly the same width as the lens (and there is no lens cap). The GX-100 seems to be a bit bigger, both from a measurement standpoint and with the width of lens and lens cap.

cjlacz

I can slide the GRD-2 in the back pocket of my pants, although I'm not sure I'd want to keep it there. It's not as slim as some cameras out there, but it will fit a lot better then the D-Lux or GX-100. It's one of the reasons I bought it and the fact it doesn't have a lens cap. The GX-100 has some pointy bits around the flash I didn't like.

D

David Paul Carr

Could you give us some idea of the size of your pockets?

P

Preston

I carry one in my front jeans pocket every day. I think it's OK for that, but I would not be able to do it if it were any larger. I have a D-Lux 3 which also very small, bu it won't fit comfortably in a pocket, so I rarely use it.

M

Mitch Alland

In my view too much is being made here of of the idea of carrying the camera in the pocket. Pockets usually have lint or worse; and are often subject to pressure or shocks that could damage the leaves over the lens. Much better, not to speak of more comfortable and convenient, to use the case made for the camera and wear it on your belt.

—Mitch/Bangkok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/

Lili

In my view too much is being made here of of the idea of carrying the camera in the pocket. Pockets usually have lint or worse; and are often subject to pressure or shocks that could damage the leaves over the lens. Much better, not to speak of more comfortable and convenient, to use the case made for the camera and wear it on your belt.

—Mitch/Bangkok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/
I agree with Mitch. I wonder if a lot of the dust issues people report are due to pocket carry with no case.
I keep my GRD in a Lowepro bag in my purse, much safer (and cleaner) that way!

sagar

I agree with Mitch. I wonder if a lot of the dust issues people report are due to pocket carry with no case.
I keep my GRD in a Lowepro bag in my purse, much safer (and cleaner) that way!
Such a good advantage for women ;) On a serious note, I too agree with Mitch and Lili. Best way is to hook it on the belt. But I wish one day Ricoh will make GX and GRDs of the size of sony T series. they are the best cams to carry in the pocket.

S

Sean_Reid

I carry the GR2 in the inside breast pocket of my winter coat. It's also inside the leather case.

Cheers,

Sean

nostatic

I guess it just depends on what you're used to. I have carried my SD400 in my back pocket (usually jeans) all over the place. Never had a problem with dust or lint, and I don't put it into a pocket with anything else. It will generally travel in a small padded nylon case in a backpack otherwise (same with the DL3), but once in use on the street it is nice to be able to quickly slip it back into my pocket and do what I need to do.

As for pocket size, I keep getting emails about pills to enlarge them but I don't think they'll actually work ;)

Last edited:

cjlacz

Haha on the pills. :) Well, it's not like back pockets are well known for collecting lots of lint so you'll probably be ok. I think you'll be happy with the GRD-2, I know i have been.

clay stewart

As long as it takes to get a GRD repaired, or cleaned, I think putting it in a pants pocket is asking for trouble, so I haven't done it. I keep mine in a sandwich bag and in my t-shirt pocket or my coat pocket, when it's not in my hand. I don't wear a belt and really don't like tight things around my waist, so that's not really an option for me. I still haven't found a padded sunglass case that it will easily slide in and out of, but I think that would be the best option for me.

7ian7

The Filson travel vest is way less bulky and ... ugly .. than any photo vest I've seen. It disappears under sportjackets, denim shirts, etc. NYC hipsters, fashionistas and other suspect types are always interested in this garment when they discover it beneath my coat, which is ... sort of an endorsement. : )

http://www.filson.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2092516

sizifo

A padded pouch that came with a portable hard drive has worked perfectly for me. It's even stretchable enough to get the camera with the gv-2 attached inside. Also hate wearing things on the belt.

Maggie O

The lack of a lens cap is another thing moving me towards the GR-D II. The D-Lux 3's lens cap makes it impractical for grabbing quick shots in the car.

Lili

The lack of a lens cap is another thing moving me towards the GR-D II. The D-Lux 3's lens cap makes it impractical for grabbing quick shots in the car.
Maggie, thats exactly why I can use my GRD for this series

Tho this might not be the best advertisement ;)

nostatic

you just need to learn to steer with your knees ;)

One advantage to being a 3rd generation southern Californian (all 5 of us). You'd be amazed what I can do while driving.

umm...err...no pics, please

S

Sean_Reid

Tho this might not be the best advertisement ;)
Sure it is. I've been watching those posts with interest. You're photographing ordinary things you see as you drive - its interesting.

As for the pocket debate...<G> I've always had cameras, in cases, in my pockets and they've been just fine. It's handy. To each his or her own.

Cheers,

Sean

Cheers,

Sean