Site Sponsors

Thread: DP2 raw vs jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

DP2 raw vs jpeg

The full size files are too big to upload, so I'm going to post some 100% crops here. If anyone is interested, I could email the original files. I don't know how much more I can upload here before I reach my limit, but I'll give it a try.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DP2 raw vs jpeg

One more comparison shot.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry these aren't more interesting shots, but I just had a few minutes to run out at lunchtime and grab a few shots, and then run the raw files through SPP, crop all the jpegs and upload them here. I hope this will be interesting for somebody, and I hope that Don will come up with some better comparison shots.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fordfanjpn View Post
    Sorry these aren't more interesting shots, but I just had a few minutes to run out at lunchtime and grab a few shots, and then run the raw files through SPP, crop all the jpegs and upload them here. I hope this will be interesting for somebody, and I hope that Don will come up with some better comparison shots.
    Bill
    I was fine with this entire message until I came to the last line.

I haven't done anything... after a nice breakfast, I was starving for lunch, so that's what I did... had lunch for a change, knowing "our" camera was in good hands.

Thanks for those... a question, though. You obviously need to run the RAW photos through SSP... do you just leave them on Auto?

And you might want to remind people that the RAW shots are first and the JPGs second, although your subject line does that. (Oh, nevermind, I've done it for you.)

Don

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don Ellis View Post
    I was fine with this entire message until I came to the last line.

I haven't done anything... after a nice breakfast, I was starving for lunch, so that's what I did... had lunch for a change, knowing "our" camera was in good hands.

Thanks for those... a question, though. You obviously need to run the RAW photos through SSP... do you just leave them on Auto?

And you might want to remind people that the RAW shots are first and the JPGs second, although your subject line does that. (Oh, nevermind, I've done it for you.)

Don
    I must confess that while the conversions were "basically" done in Auto mode, I did tweak the white balance. Force of habit I guess. And as you mentioned, the raw shots are first followed by the corresponding in-camera jpeg. How was lunch?

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I must confess that while the conversions were "basically" done in Auto mode, I did tweak the white balance. Force of habit I guess. And as you mentioned, the raw shots are first followed by the corresponding in-camera jpeg. How was lunch?

Bill
    Dare I admit that lunch was a large liverwurst sandwich, two Claussen dill pickles, Louisiana Crayfish Tails in chili sauce, with a dessert of Extremely Chocolatey Carmels courtesy of Marks & Spencer (don't even start on a bag of those). I'm almost abashed... but full.

And I did take two photos on my lunch run... I'll put them in another thread since they were RAW with no JPG comparisons.

Don

Post Thanks / Like

Dare I admit that lunch was a large liverwurst sandwich, two Claussen dill pickles, Louisiana Crayfish Tails in chili sauce, with a dessert of Extremely Chocolatey Carmels courtesy of Marks & Spencer (don't even start on a bag of those). I'm almost abashed... but full.

And I did take two photos on my lunch run... I'll put them in another thread since they were RAW with no JPG comparisons.

Don
    I had frozen spaghetti from the convenience store, heated up in a microwave. Something doesn't seem right here!

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I had frozen spaghetti from the convenience store, heated up in a microwave. Something doesn't seem right here!

Bill
    Uh, that's only one step up from canned spaghetti. Is it some sort of training programme you're on?

Don

Post Thanks / Like

Uh, that's only one step up from canned spaghetti. Is it some sort of training programme you're on?

Don
    Yes, I'm training to be homeless, in case the economy gets any worse!

Actually, it's pretty much par for the course. I'm just too busy at work to have much time for lunch, so it's something cheap and easy from the convenience store, which for me is a lot better than the "bento" lunches they sell out in the street. It probably doesn't help that I don't eat Japanese food. Go ahead, ask me what I'm doing living in Japan!

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Go ahead, ask me what I'm doing living in Japan!
    Bill
    Don't need to... I've seen your cherry blossoms and your women.

Don

Post Thanks / Like

Don't need to... I've seen your cherry blossoms and your women.

Don
    And believe me, it's not the cherry blossoms!

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

And believe me, it's not the cherry blossoms!

Bill
    It wasn't really for the cameras, was it?

Nah. Forget it.