The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A Windy Corner

Lili

Part of my Driving in Dallas Series
I've heard in Cockney Rhyming Slang a fearful place is called a Windy Corner.
Everytime I go through here on a Wintery day that phrase comes to mind.

GRD

S

Sean_Reid

That's a good picture, beautifully made right down to the way you used the stickers in the lower left corner. And its a picture in color that really is a color picture - many aren't.

Thank goodness for those wire, you really needed them.

Cheers,

Sean

Lili

Will, I am not sure where I heard that phrase, it has been so long. But it stuck with me as an image of bleakness.

Cindy, shivers are exactly what I felt.

Sean, thank you! Yes without all the wires and power poles it would just be empty Sky. And I made the deliberate choice to use color, gladly it worked out.

Last edited:

Otto

Lili,

Just a guess, but are you at the intersection of Harry Hines Blvd. and Empire Central preparing to turn East toward Love Field?

Good shooting,
Otto...

Will

Lili the more I look at this picture the more it draws me in. Empire Central, what an evocative name! The tiny dots of reflected light on the wind screen and distant neon sign on the grey tower block in the cold grey light. Wonderful.

I think I've found out where the Windy Corner phrase comes from and it fits really well.
http://www.hotkey.net.au/~krackatinni/glossary.html

Lili

Lili the more I look at this picture the more it draws me in. Empire Central, what an evocative name! The tiny dots of reflected light on the wind screen and distant neon sign on the grey tower block in the cold grey light. Wonderful.

I think I've found out where the Windy Corner phrase comes from and it fits really well.
http://www.hotkey.net.au/~krackatinni/glossary.html
Thank you very much Will, glad you like it :)
Aussie slang is it then?
Good to know :)

S

Sean_Reid

If you work further on it, you might want to play with getting a little more variation, in color and tone, in the pavement. Also, do you own a copy of Stephen Shore's "Uncommon Places"? It would be worth having.

Cheers,

Sean

S

Sean_Reid

Also, these discussions we've had about using deep depth of field....it allow that lower left sticker to develop a visual relationship with the back of that sign in the upper right corner and, in variation, with the "Empire Central" sign. The sticker needs to be in focus to do that.

Cheers,

Sean

Lili

Also, these discussions we've had about using deep depth of field....it allow that lower left sticker to develop a visual relationship with the back of that sign in the upper right corner and, in variation, with the "Empire Central" sign. The sticker needs to be in focus to do that.

Cheers,

Sean
Well said Sean. One of many reasons I adore my GRD.
:thumbup:

Lili

If you work further on it, you might want to play with getting a little more variation, in color and tone, in the pavement. Also, do you own a copy of Stephen Shore's "Uncommon Places"? It would be worth having.

Cheers,

Sean
Sean,
I have heard of Stephen but not seen that book, off to Amazon to hunt it up.
Still not gonna pre-order the DP-1 either ;)

edit; ordered the book ought to be here by weds :)

Last edited:
W

wbrandsma

Lili, your car photographs are very inspiring. I took my camera with me on our sunday drive. I wasn't driving this time ;)

W

wbrandsma

Great photos, y'all!

There is a crazy amount of talent here!!!
Thank you Maggie! To receive a remark like that from a multitalented person like you is very special. But all honours have to go to Lili for sharing her excellent shots here :clap:

Lili

Wouters, that is a great shot! And thank you so much for the kind comments *blush*
Maggie, thank you :)

Last edited:

Lili

Wouter, that is a brilliant B&W
I have looked at it in detail, not trace of flare, razor sharp, clear tonal range.
I love the contrail at the upper left.
Bravo!
Lili, your car photographs are very inspiring. I took my camera with me on our sunday drive. I wasn't driving this time ;)

MisiekBunnik

Hi all,

this could be called a windy corner as well... I had to take the picture with my k800i (blush), sorry the sole reason was that my girlfriend hands were so sweaty in the passenger seat because of the road conditions that she would not want to touch my G7.

May i ask? Is such a picture good enough to bring out the feeling that it gave us? Be honest. (this is the border from poland to the Czech republic...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronaldbunnik/

Last edited:
W

wbrandsma

It sure looks like a windy corner to me. Remarkable that you took that one with a phone. Still rather good quality for a phone. Excellent picture!