The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Three from Frisco, GRD Battery Woes

Lili

GRD with 21mm adapter

I have not shot my GRD much noting lately that my batteries, both the Ricoh branded one and the after market that also came with it are not lasting nearly a long.
I have always used them till they are completely flat then fully charge them both.
Having decided to get new ones in the hopes it is a battery issue instead of a camera one, I have had no luck in finding Ricoh-Branded DB-60's.
Even from the first the Ricoh battery far out-lasted the other.
Are they simply no longer made?
I just want to be able to use my camera.
15-20 shots plus review should not exhaust a freshly charged battery in the course of a single day.
After almost 4000 shots I would hate to have to retire my GRD; it draws like no other camera!
Help?

Is the GRD battery different from that of the GRD II ?

When I bought my D-Lux 3, my dealer told me the batteries were the same as the GRD II and the GX 100 (200 wasn´t out yet at the time), so I could save a lot by buying a Ricoh one instead of a "Leica original". I did, and now I use it with my D-Lux 4. Indeed, never saw any differences in capacity.

Anyhow, batteries for the D-Lux 4 or the LX3 might help you if it´s indeed the same type between GRD and GRD II.

If not, please disregard my babble....:eek:

Lili

Per are they labled as DB-60? I may try them then.
I wrote Popflash to ask this same question...
You are not babbling, ANY advice is welcome :)

Will

The panasonic batteries (CGA-S005E) work as well. I swap them between my wife's Lumix DMC FX-50 and my GRD's all the time.

In the mean time try a couple of high capacity rechargeable AAA batteries.

sizifo

GDR I & II have the same batteries for sure, and they don't look like anything proprietary to me. I think it should be easy to get the correct ones for a while to come, although I've never swapped mine, so can't give you any particulars...

Per are they labled as DB-60? I may try them then.
I wrote Popflash to ask this same question...
You are not babbling, ANY advice is welcome :)
Yes, the Ricoh battery I have is indeed labeled DB-60 (3.7 V, 1150 mAh), so we seem to be on the right track after all...:)

The Leica original is designed BP-DC4-E, and rated at 3.7 V, 1090 mAh, but they´re completely interchangeable, and I never noticed any difference in capacity. No idea what the Panasonic LX3 equivalent is called; should work equally well, and probably cost less than the Leica.

les

The Leica Battery that came with my D-Lux 3 is a BP-DC4-U.
A backup I purchased on eBay CGA-S005E (as quoted by Will) is said to be a replacement for DMW-BCC12, presumably the Panasonic #. (All are rated at 3.7v 1150mAh)
Bottom line is that both provide the same level of performance. You might try to pick up a couple on eBay - maybe it's worth searching for that size battery using a 'Panasonic' search rather than 'Ricoh'?

O

Oxide Blu

Ricoh's DB-60 battery is used in the GRD, GRDII, and GX200. It is a generic Panasonic CGA -S005 battery -- a whole bunch of Lumix cameras have used it. It is the commonality of that battery that was a big deal to me in choosing my first Ricoh sub-compact.

The battery is available as a generic battery on the battery rack in the camera dept of any Best Buy store -- tho I think Best Buy is over priced. Maybe Google for a Panasonic S005 battery.

Lili

The panasonic batteries (CGA-S005E) work as well. I swap them between my wife's Lumix DMC FX-50 and my GRD's all the time.

In the mean time try a couple of high capacity rechargeable AAA batteries.
Thanks Will and everyone, ordered the CGAS005's.
Trying some AAASanyo Eneloops right now

Lili

BTW, both old batteries charge form totally flat to the charger light going off in under an hour!