The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

gx100 theater shots

Lili

Wayne, you'll really like the little Ricoh, GX and GR's are awesomely good cameras.
Excellent first shot too :)

smokysun

thanks, richard and lili. yes, i forgot to reset the date in the camera! lili, i feel guilty, like others on the forum, for having too much equipment. yet that's half the fun. and when you get bored, you can renew your interest by pulling out another (classic) camera.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited:

pollobarca

Congrats Wayne, enjoy the little beast! I like the ladies in the mirror. Hope to see more so I can get some ideas from you.
I used my GX100 and my Oly 5050z at one session the other day. I still think that
the c5050z is more satisfying but the GX100 is a better (as it should be for a newer camera) machine.The biggest drawback with the GX100 is the lack of a dedicated external flash.
I have the Olympus FL40 which is great with the Oly C5050z and works very well manually with the Gx100, mind you the internal flash on the Gx100 is very good for its size.
Have fun

paul

smokysun

hi paul,
ever since alex majoli used the 5050 to such effect (i think 'leros' one of the most moving photo books ever) i've thought to buy one but haven't. i left the ricoh in town, however after seeing the incredible macros, i wish i'd brought it to work with me. oh, well. next time.
thanks,
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

pollobarca

Not many c5050z about now, and they are all well used! One on Ebay now at 169usd.
The Macros with the GX100 are very effective, as are the C5050z but oftentimes the GX100 is ok handheld with Macro, the Oly needs a tripod unless you are lucky with the light.
F1,8 lens of the oly is almost as useful as the f2,5 with IS of the Gx100.Both cameras are ok up to 400iso. Alex Majoli certainly paid back Olympus investment in cameras for him! I've tried rigging up my Oly and GX100 the way Majoli did (2 cameras at different levels round my neck) but I need to invest in a different camera strap for the Ricoh.
I nearly always use my Oly at tummy height like a twin lens reflex. The flip out LCD
is really great, also for overhead shooting.Camera upside down and arms length overhead
can help out a few perspective probs with buildings or shoot over crowds.

All the best and look forward to seeing more of your work Wayne.
paul

Lili

thanks, richard and lili. yes, i forgot to reset the date in the camera! lili, i feel guilty, like others on the forum, for having too much equipment. yet that's half the fun. and when you get bored, you can renew your interest by pulling out another (classic) camera.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp
Wayne, I have 2 DSLR systems with 2 bodies each, a bridgecam and two excellent compacts.
There are days when I wish I'd saved the time and cash and just kept to 2 of these; 1 compact and one larger, wider range one.
And then shot a lot more; concentrating improving my work rather than learning new gear.

smokysun

hi lili,
i know what you mean. i'm sure i have twenty cameras at this point! i do think we have to go through a lot to find out where our own magic lies and which camera will do the trick. once we have that, we can sell the rest. trouble is, different cameras good for different situations. a lot probably depends on your subject focus and the time you have.

hi paul,
i'll probably pass on the 5050 (read the above!). i do like the closed room shots in b&w with the gx100. here are two examples. before the theater i shot a few in a cafe. the first the full pic, the second a 100% crop from a pic taken a bit more to the right (you see the plastic cup in both). two very different styles and i like them both. for a photojournalist type, i think this camera very useful.
best,
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited: