The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

more noise (african style)

gallery7

Very well all things considered my friend! Beyond a brief arrest and detaining by the local security thugs, a very difficult time aquiring the visa and small altercation at the end of a big machete last night I am alive and well.

I wish I could post more and show just how powerful of a tool small, discreet cameras can be. I have taken photo's that anything but a small, silent point and shoot could not have managed. Photo's of the trial of millitary hitmen, inside of maximum security prisons, police stations, you name it. I packed the usual trip bag full of big nikons and whatnot but it has been the G10 95% of the time since arriving.

Once I arrive back home (late June/early July) I will update the website with photo's of the above nature. I am somewhat convinced it would be ill advised while I am here.

It always makes me scratch my head when small, compact cameras are so easily disregarded as not being "serious" image makers?!?

I hope all is well with you my friend. I see you have been keeping busy yourself fighting a very good fight. Perhaps one day I could hop over the border and join you for a day?

gallery7

exactly! well other than the TOTAL lack of any tourists in Nigeria. seriously though, photography is EXTREMELY difficult here and the G10 has been working very hard! The police and security forces are a menace here and come out of the woodwork as soon as cameras come out. The infrastructure has completely collapsed and violent confrontation has broken out in the delta states. Nigeria is a country on the brink of all out civil war and it is quite concerning to see. Cameras and foreign press are nowhere to be seen other than the occasional cnn marionette out on patrol with the jtf in the delta. (and a few crazies operating as "under the radar" as they can)

sizifo - very kind of you to say!

gallery7

thank you folks for the warm reception! Nigeria is most certainly a very spooky place! i will be heading home soon but must finish shooting the story i am here for. the conflict in the delta has grown immensely over the past few months so i reckon i will return in the fall. i have been feverishly laying the ground work for that trip. i have been assured i will be able to travel safely by M.E.N.D and a few of the militant groups so keep your eye's peeled for more!

gallery7

Thank you everyone. Images have been uploaded to my website at www.galler7.com

click on the homepage photo to enter the gallery or use the "nigeria" heading in the gallery section.

about 95% of this was shot on a g10!

gallery7

Thank you very much! i am thrilled to receive such praise!

I think "resourcefulness" is the number one skill one must possess to make it as a photojournalist. You can have all the gear and all the schooling in the world but nothing trumps resourceful. I take that as a great compliment!

I am trying to organize a return trip to the Niger Delta for the fall. What is going on there is really quite unbelievable and the western media coverage thin to say the least. I will most certainly post some more work here!

It is important that as many people see the living conditions of the people there as possible. We spend a great deal of money with the Nigerian government and so far very little of that money is getting to the people. It is a disaster waiting to happen and it is preventable.

Thank you again.

W

wbrandsma

Thank you for sharing your work John and giving us an insight in the current situation of Nigeria. Greed and lust for power can be so destructive in my opinion.

D

ddk

Very interesting John, was this a personal journey or an assignment?

In the early 80s while I was living living in the UK, we had some young, wealthy Nigerians as neighbors, probably either children of the pastors that you mention or of ranking government officials. We met them through other friends who had business dealings with the family, I realized that there was a lot of corruption in the country and it was nothing new, but I had no idea that the people were in such dire straights. Your images are of 25 years later from that time and I can't believe how bad things are in 2009. This is totally unexpected, was it this bad all over or are these from the worst areas?