The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IPhone Photos

Hi Joe -
I'm using autostich which is the same program I've been using since the App store debut. They recently updated it for shooting right in the App and I will need to play with it both ways. If anyone knows of a really good stitching app would love to hear more.

http://www.cloudburstresearch.com/autostitch/autostitch.html
I've played around with 360˚ Panorama (by Occipital) which "stitches" on the fly as you move your phone around. It uses the phone's gyros to track movement and fill in the photo as you pan around. It's kinda cool but I haven't used it very seriously so don't know if I can recommend it yet.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
This looks very interesting. Has anyone tried this?
I'm not sure I need a wide angle adapter since you can shoot panos. The fish-eye might be fun. The handle could be a plus. Price seems reasonable.

stephengilbert

Cindy,

There's a less expensive solution that Terry referred me to, but of course, trying to avoid unnecessary temptation, I didn't keep it. I'm sure she'll add it here.

Steve

Terry

I'm at an all day iPhone photography seminar. Will post a bunch of stuff that i learn later.

I have Olloclip that Uwe tested out. I like the way it attaches better and it is smaller. Schneider is a sponsor at the event where I am and saw their set in person.

DHart

I'm at an all day iPhone photography seminar. Will post a bunch of stuff that i learn later.

I have Olloclip that Uwe tested out. I like the way it attaches better and it is smaller. Schneider is a sponsor at the event where I am and saw their set in person.
Terry... That seminar sounds like it would be really interesting! Looking forward to hearing about it.

Terry

Yesterday I attended a conference called 1197.is The number is important as it marks the date in 1997 that the first cell phone photo was taken (well more of a kludge setup as described by Phillipe Kahn who took and transmitted the photo).

Well we've come a long way and there are a ton of really talented artists using the iPhone in many different ways. This conference was a way to bring people together with a shared interest, to learn from each other and to meet others with a similar interest.

I think the big takeaway was just to keep experimenting and that the people doing the most interesting artistic work are using a number of different applications and moving the pictures from one app to another.

I also got the sense that the best talents don't try and do too much at once. Many try and just get the best results they can from the initial shot and then work the picture from there. It is hard to do the post processing right when you take the picture (i.e. trying to add filters and effects as you take the shot).

The Apps just keep getting better and better. Also, the ecosystem of different products is getting larger and very interesting.

The morning session was more of a workshop hard to give a recap but it was about using apps and showing how to layer on different effects. Sometimes it is simple processing and other times there is major manipulation. No right or wrong.

The afternoon featured a number of very interesting speakers:
Laura Randolph (www.photolauren.com and @laurenlemon on instagram/twitter). She does portraiture and explained how she uses twitter (and iPhone shots) to augment her professional shoots and to give people more of a behind the scenes view of what she is doing.

Dan Maroclina - Author of the book iPhone Obsessed which is a great resource for using apps to process. He was using Photoshop Touch in his demo and it has a lot of functionality....so I eagerly await that release.

Teru Kuwayama - who spoke about a large scale photo project with photojournalists embedded with US soldiers in Afghanistan. All of the photography was done on the iPhone. He did say that for the dusty conditions gaffers tape over the dock connection made the phone impervious to dust and one of the best devices you could use over there.
Great talk and you can read about the project here:
http://www.aphotoeditor.com/2009/08/31/teru-kuwayama-working-in-a-war-zone/

Products:
Schneider was there with their lens set. I still think it is pricey for fish eye and wide angle because I can't see the fisheye being used that much. However the wide angle looks ilke it has very little distortion. I still like the way the Olloclip works (size and the way you attach the lenses and is less than half of the price).

Postal Pix - I was very impressed with their aluminum prints. The 4x4'' looked great. They will be adding 12x12 in the next couple of months Their regular prints also looked quite nice. It is an app and you can order directly from your iPhone.

Postagram - Sends a postcard of your shot and the postcard is perforated so that the person you send it to can pop out the picture and save it. The printing is nicely done. Again the App is set up to print direct and it looks like they are about $1

http://postagramapp.com/

One of the best resources on the web for all thing iPhone photographic is:

http://www.iphoneography.com/

Finally,
I grabbed two different shots that I took of HOLTASÓLEY the national flower when I was in Iceland (not on iPhone but in my photo roll) and layered them and then manipulated them using several different apps including Filterstorm, Picgrunger, Snapseed

Here are two after I layered them and then after I added some more post processing.

(not wild about this border....need to look for one I like better - more app shopping :D )

Last edited:
The layering effect is cool Terry -thanks for all the info.

I am amazed at how the iPhone is being used in photography - my first iPhone app was a photography app but now there are so many choices it's astounding ;-)

I do like Snapseed - Nik did a great job porting their desktop app onto the iPhone - the UI is really well done.

MHC

Hello Shawn, your photos are amazing. Which apps did you use to retouch these photos in iphone? Share with us more on how you do that. Thanks.

I've been playing around with the AutoStitch App on the iPhone.
It amazes me how well it works but it's a little sloppy so lately I've been trying out the Hugin software.

These are all 4-21 images stitched together