The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IPhone Photos

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I've been able to find that just lets me dial in -2/3 stop exposure and flash correction.

That is no surprise. The iPhone does not give any api to define direct exposure values. Instead the app defines an exposure point where the iPhone measures the exposure. The HDR apps use a shadow and highlight exposure point. With the app Bracket Mode you can define these points manually. That is what I use.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>So snapseed allowed you add blur to the corners. Neat.

Actually just one of the many random grunge filters.

J

JackM

OK,
I really like this thread. Here we find good photographers using a cheap tool effectively. There are many apps and and guides, but this thread shows some inspiring work.

The best tip I have gotten so far is the news that the camera does not take the photo until the finger is removed from the click spot. That has improved my timing immensely, as well at reduced camera movement. Makes street photography work.

I did some testing to see how the quality compared to a Leica M9 and was surprised to see how helpful Pro HDR was for still shots.
The testing can be viewed here:

http://www.macdonough.net/For-your-review/iPhone-vs-M9/20398865_4TPcg2#1614224553_74q2GHG

Interesting to see how effective low light can be captured if the camera is stable.

This is one of the shots used in the test.
Jack

OK,
I really like this thread. Here we find good photographers using a cheap tool effectively. There are many apps and and guides, but this thread shows some inspiring work.

The best tip I have gotten so far is the news that the camera does not take the photo until the finger is removed from the click spot. That has improved my timing immensely, as well at reduced camera movement. Makes street photography work.

I did some testing to see how the quality compared to a Leica M9 and was surprised to see how helpful Pro HDR was for still shots.
The testing can be viewed here:

http://www.macdonough.net/For-your-review/iPhone-vs-M9/20398865_4TPcg2#1614224553_74q2GHG

Interesting to see how effective low light can be captured if the camera is stable.

This is one of the shots used in the test.
Jack
You need an iPhone 4S :D

ustein

Contributing Editor
With Pro HDR (camera docked on a post) and only minor further editing:

Handheld I get always alignment issues with Pro HDR (too shaky hand although I even use Gymbl as a grip).

ustein

Contributing Editor
Look good. I also use Pro Camera.

Think how the last photo would look without the wood frame?

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Here's a bit of a different technique. I shot a number of video clips and used a frame grabber app, Video Stills, to select individual frames to turn into photographs. This works amazingly well. Frames are 1080 x 1920. I generally but not always cropped them back to 2x3 aspect ration. This permits images that would not be possible otherwise. We were on the Acela coming back from DC - for one patch the light read as flickering as we passed obstructions at high speed. I was able to pick out the frames with the most interesting lighting. The quality is surprisingly good. This may be an interesting way to do events.

Samples:

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I shot a number of video clips and used frame grabber app, Video Stills

Surprisingly good for smaller photos.