The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GRD2 or D-lux2

P

parameters

hi, i'm looking for a new point and shoot... between GRD2 and d-lux2, which is a more versatile camera? like the low light shooting in GRD2 but like the fact that D-lux2 has zoom...

confused :confused:

nostatic

I think the more equal choice is GX100 vs. D-Lux 3. Apples to apples. GR2 is fixed lens so that can be a night/day choice between that and a zoom. The GR2 does have an adapter to do 40mm tele but then you've got extra stuff to carry.

V

VladimirV

If you like the low light pictures from the GRD II and the zoom of the D-lux2 then the GX-100 is the best of both worlds.
Also in regards to the D-Lux2 I'd rather go with the Panasonic equivalent as cheaper ;).

Daniel

when i decided on the gx100, i thought i'd use the zoom. as it turned out, i keep forgetting that i can zoom with this camera. instead, i'd always move forward or move closer to frame. funny thing is, i'm the same with the other zoom lenses on my nikon camera. so, if you tend to forget to make use of your zoom, then it's probably quite likely that you won't miss having a zoom feature if you went with the GRD2.

nostatic

With my dslr I never use the zoom even if I have a zoom lens on it. With my DLux3, I often zoom. I never claimed to be sane though...go figure

M

Mitch Alland

The R8 is a completely different type of camera, aimed a different market segment, as it has a maximum aperture of only f/3.3 and produces only JPGs without any RAW capability — not to speak of a completely different type of photography with its 28-200mm EFL zoom lens.

—Mitch/Huahin
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/

V

VladimirV

I think the R8 would complement the GRD II very well as it adds zoom when needed without taking much space. And the design is really cool ;).