Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RAW conversion and pp techniques

Post Thanks / Like

RAW conversion and pp techniques

For me it's been a very interesting aspect of this forum to see the different styles people achieve with their RAW conversions and PP. I'm particularly intrigued with the black and white images produced here, where, aside from other variations, they seem to fall into those that somehow look like semi gloss or silk prints (I would include the excellent work of Mitch in this category) and those that look as though printed on matt (mine for example). Bearing in mind that I'm viewing these on the same computer screen of course. Is this just my imagination or do other people see this effect?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: RAW conversion and pp techniques

I wondered if it might be interesting to get someone to volunteer a RAW file and see what different people can do with it. Nothing radicle, just using their usual workflow to see what comes out.

Post Thanks / Like

Because I'm not as good a photographer as 99% of people here, I'm quite interested in this kind of exercise. So, I'm just uploading the 5 dngs for the photos below to http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/F...eSharing1.html
    The attachments represent the current state in my pp. I uploaded the first one already a few weeks ago with the same idea.

However, attaching the photos to the post messes up the quality to a significant degree for some reason. They still more or less represent how I want them to look, but any ideas on how to improve this?
    Last edited by sizifo; 4th April 2009 at 12:10.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe we could pick one of them to each try our own method on. I'm in no way an expert in this but I'm willing to expose myself as the amateur amongst us if other more experienced people will give it a try as well. The composition is not what I'm after here, just the conversion from RAW and pp refinement. Composition could perhaps be looked at another time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If one photo is picked, I will give it a try. That has been done on another forum I read and is fun and maybe we can all learn something. Count me in!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am in the 1% you spoke of Here is my attempt at one of your photos ... Hope you do not mind to much....
    Last edited by ShiroKuro; 3rd December 2009 at 04:15.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks ShiroKuro. That looks great. How did you do it?

Perhaps we could pick the church photo then?

Post Thanks / Like

I want to make clear that I don't see this as a thread to claim one method produces better results then another, it isn't meant as a competition. I'm merely interested in how people achieve their results so that we, less experienced people, can gain insight.

OK, I had already chosen this one at random but I will have a go at the church later today.

For this one I used CS2 and set the options like this before saving *** a jpg.
    temperature 8000, tint +49, exposure +.75, shadow 0, brightness 50, contrast -39, saturation +10
    I then used channel mixer to covert to B&W 30 40 30
    Shadow highlight with shadow 7% highlight 28%
    Levels 10 0.69 173
    Brightness -5 contrast +10
    Unsharp mask 80% radius 2 threshold 6

I then saved the psd file as a jpg and uploaded.

I think I could have kept more cloud detail if I had taken more time but work beckons.

Post Thanks / Like

Great.

I've also set up my idisk to allow uploads at http://idisk.mac.com/vid33-Public?view=web. If you want you can now upload the full sized jpgs (or tiffs, or whatever). Think the upload only works at the top level directory, but I can later place them alongside the dngs for everybody to download.

The forum attachments are good for getting the general idea, but the full sized images would be much more useful. Specifically, then you can try and mimic what you like about the other person's look in your application of choice.

Mitch Alland

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    For me it's been a very interesting aspect of this forum to see the different styles people achieve with their RAW conversions and PP. I'm particularly intrigued with the black and white images produced here, where, aside from other variations, they seem to fall into those that somehow look like semi gloss or silk prints (I would include the excellent work of Mitch in this category) and those that look as though printed on matt (mine for example). Bearing in mind that I'm viewing these on the same computer screen of course. Is this just my imagination or do other people see this effect?
    Will,

Thanks for the kind words; but I don't think that you can infer from the images that you're seeing how they might be printed in terms of a matte of glossy surface: they merely vary in gradation, that is, the nature of the tonal transitions, and in contrast. I tend to like more contrast and a shorter range of mid-tones than most people, but I tend to vary this depending on the expressive intent of the particular print. For example, clearly there is a difference in approach between the first and the second picture:

The other thing to keep in mind is that, for B&W in particular, you can make prints more expressive if you do selective burning and dodging — much more so than in colour, which can quickly become wildly unrealistic with this approach. The best introduction, short of a darkroom printing workshop, is to look at the following book of darkroom tecnhiques, which will quickly give you a sense of how to produce expressive prints by digital burning and dodging — the book contains many example of how a "straight" print is transformed into an expressive one and shows the steps taken to achieve this in each case:

http://www.amazon.com/Larry-Bartlett...422240&sr=8-10

—Mitch/Huahin
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Post Thanks / Like

Mitch,

Thanks for your response, and thank you for posting two examples which show so well what I was talking about. My matt verses gloss was alluding to the impression I get when viewing the images rather than an assumption about how they would be printed. If you look at the newspaper readers skin tones there is a shiny texture to them which is quite different to the smoother textures of the other image. Your explanation of the the different treatment of the two images which achieves this is exactly the sort of insight I was hoping for when starting this thread.
    Thanks also for the link, I will have a look later. In the mean time I hope that a few more people will take up the challenge to interpret the dng files that sizifo kindly provided. How much the original file matters, or effects the final interpretation would be useful to know.

I realise this thread should possibly have been in a different section of the forum but since it is dealing with small sensor image files perhaps it can stay here for now?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, here's a quick take in LightZone (gotta take my BF to the airport, I can explain what I did later):

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Damn, I over-sharpened. That wasn't apparent in the full-sized file.

wbrandsma

I took this one in Lightzone and applied 9 ZoneMappers with selective regions to adjust the contrast locally. Three for the sky, three for the water, and three for the buildings. One ZoneMapper was just for an overal contrast adjustment. After that I applied some extra sharpening.

This is a great way to share different techniques.

Post Thanks / Like

Some really interesting results so far. Keep them coming!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, here's one with the sharpening toned down and the highlight brought up a bit:

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Wouter wins.

Post Thanks / Like

So you don't like mine Maggie

Seriously though I don't think it is a matter of who wins, but that we all win if we learn something from each other.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I would take Wouter's sky and your foreground and that would be the big winner!

Post Thanks / Like

I've learnt one thing very quickly, and that's that Aperture is not useful for everything. It seems impossible to get the same contrast in the clouds as in your versions without messing up the rest of the photo, though I'll keep trying. It's probably time to try a program with selection tools.

I agree that Wouter's version looks best so far - but I like the others as well. Shirokuro, just checked out your Hawaii photos, and think they are some of the best I've seen on this forum. Can you reveal a bit about the methods??

Maggie, are you intentionally pulling the shadows up until they are grainy? It's an interesting idea, I think, to make a part of the photo more grainy than the rest. I've tried it in the attached photo - the poster says "I've never been to New York". (It's near the main building of the old hamburg port, which can be seen on the lhs.)

Hamburg is a very photogenic city, BTW, the light can be stunning - when it's not raining.

Again, it's a little difficult to get the full picture (no pun intended) from the small attachments, so if anybody wants to upload the full sized versions, you can use http://idisk.mac.com/vid33-Public?view=web.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Maggie, are you intentionally pulling the shadows up until they are grainy? It's an interesting idea, I think, to make a part of the photo more grainy than the rest. I've tried it in the attached photo - the poster says "I've never been to New York". (It's near the main building of the old hamburg port, which can be seen on the lhs.)
    Yeah, more or less. I had this idea that the buildings looked like they were sitting in-between two paintings, like a model with a matte painting on a movie set, only in both background and foreground. So, I pushed those areas towards a more distinctly artificial look. Not really sure it worked, but it was worth the time to mess around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know I'm late getting my take in, but I had to go on a 400 mile trip. I started this early this morning and finished it when I got back.
    BTW, when you lift up underexposed areas like the area near the water in the center, you get more digital noise. Therefore, I added noise to even it out.
    My take:

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry to be late with this, but just had to test CS3 on the new box. Playing with other people's stuff is kind of fun. No little devils on your shoulder to boss you around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post
    Playing with other people's stuff is kind of fun. No little devils on your shoulder to boss you around.

This is amazing! Everyone has a different take on this. Maybe we can do one again next week. It was fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

TRSmith,
    I am facinated with the sharpness of your version. Did you use noise reduction software before you sharpened. I found I couldn't sharpen too much without introducing artifacts. Excellent work!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey thanks! I have been rebuilding my applications on a new MAC and don't have all the plugins installed (like PK sharpener and Noise Ninja) so I reverted to just the tools in PS.

For sharpening I did the usual contrast bump with a 50/20/0 unsharp mask, and then later a Smart Sharpen that wasn't all that aggressive. About the only other thing I can think of is that I opened the file in ACR as a 16 bit in ProPhoto. Anything more than that I think is just a sense of sharpness via some tonal adjustments.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post
    Hey thanks! I have been rebuilding my applications on a new MAC and don't have all the plugins installed (like PK sharpener and Noise Ninja) so I reverted to just the tools in PS.

For sharpening I did the usual contrast bump with a 50/20/0 unsharp mask, and then later a Smart Sharpen that wasn't all that aggressive. About the only other thing I can think of is that I opened the file in ACR as a 16 bit in ProPhoto. Anything more than that I think is just a sense of sharpness via some tonal adjustments.
    Two more useful setting suggestions for us to play around with there TRSmith, thanks for sharing them. Really nicely done conversion btw.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm obviously deranged; it's almost 3:30AM here...and just to show how deranged, here's a slightly desaturated color version (though TR pretty much nailed it, IMO):

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Sizifo.....To be honest I am really not sure what I am doing ..
    I am very new to processing Raw files ... I use LightRoom which I do most of my adjustments there ... I move sliders around until I see something I like .I try to keep it simple ...If there is an image I really like and want to work on I bring it into Photoshop...... I have to agree with a comment Mitch made earlier on in this thread... Dodging and Burning is one of the key factors for making a Black and White image look so expressive .. this is where I spend the most time on an image .. I like to use layer masks and adjustment layers .....I am hardly ever satisfied with my results ,but in time ..... This is usually what I do
    After I do my raw adjustments I bring the photo into PS CS3
    Duplicate Layer - change Blend mode to Screen- Option Click add Layer Mask icon- Choose a soft brush paint with white ..... change opacity and brush size to suit what I am doing .... When finished - Flatten Layer and repeat the above steps but this time chose the Blend mode Multiply - option click add Layer mask icon - paint with white ... Flatten image.

After that I do a curves adjustment layer .. Flatten image .. then sharpen using the unsharp mask.....After you unsharp mask to your preferred settings -(120, 1.0 ,3) --take it one more step ....... go to edit menu - Fade Unsharp Mask - change mode from Normal to Luminosity - O.K

You do this immediately after you "Unsharp Mask" .... I do this last step for color images .....

In Lightroom my favorite tools are the Recovery,Clarity,Vibrance ,and Blacks
    And for some reason I always get carried away with the Lens Vignetting tool ..I like to use this to darken the edges of the photograph..

For noise removal I use NoiseWare Professional or Noise Ninja I don't even Bother with this in LightRoom..... so interesting see all the different ways people do things .I have really learned alot from all of you here at DPI , This is great site with an awesome community .... Thanks
    Charley
    Last edited by ShiroKuro; 3rd December 2009 at 04:15.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes TR definitely nailed it ... amazing what you managed to pull out of that photograph...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post
    I'm obviously deranged; it's almost 3:30AM here...and just to show how deranged, here's a slightly desaturated color version (though TR pretty much nailed it, IMO):
    Maggie,
    This one is lovely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Deranged is a Good Thing Magpie !!
    Its Wonderful
    I second the vote with Cindy

Post Thanks / Like

I like Maggie's last one a lot as well.

Here is a second attempt from me. I can't get the sky to look as dramatic in Aperture as I'd like. Although it may be a good thing not to exaggerate too much. Getting this amount of contrast in the sky involves seriously messing up the underlying colors, as you can see in the attached version with the B&W conversion turned off.
    Last edited by sizifo; 4th April 2009 at 12:10.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
    Deranged is a Good Thing Magpie !!
    Its Wonderful
    I second the vote with Cindy
    Thanks, Helen and Cindy!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I did one more. I didn't add noise this time and I processed from Lightroom instead of C1 (with JFI colored filter profile). I really wanted to highlight the stairs and the boat, but the noise is heavy there if you pull up the shadow, so this was the best compromise for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I really like that one Cindy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you, Will.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, it took C1 and LightZone and JFI profiles, but I think I got a B&W version I like:

DominicPerry

My amateur effort.

Dominic

DominicPerry

Oh, that's horrible, now I see it in jpeg.

Dominic

Post Thanks / Like

It was worth the effort Maggie! Actually your colour one has grown on me as well.

I may have to have another go now

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Will!!!

Allan Rostron

OK, I've lurked long enough. What's TR?

Post Thanks / Like

One of the guys who seems to be in the inner circles of this forum

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Rostron View Post
    OK, I've lurked long enough. What's TR?
    TRSmith.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hello all,

This my first time posting to your forum but not my first time visiting. I have read ALLOT of your discussions and found them to be most valuable. So I would like to say thanks right off the bat for helping me decide witch camera to purchase with both informative and stimulating conversation.

I like many others were torn btwn the GX100, D-Lux or GR2 and well.........Price became a factor and found a incredible deal I could not pass up. Soooo I bought the GX100 and so far so good.

That being said I do have a question about PP. I started using LightZone (trial version) to do my pp and found that It took allot of time to load images and a ridiculous amount of time do do any task. So much so I had to stop working with RAW

Is this the case with the full version of LightZone?

I realize it is customary to post some shots so here are a couple I took out and about in Manhattans subway. After opening it up at home I realized the guy on the right is looking at himself in 10 years

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JDavila View Post
    Hello all,

This my first time posting to your forum but not my first time visiting. I have read ALLOT of your discussions and found them to be most valuable. So I would like to say thanks right off the bat for helping me decide witch camera to purchase with both informative and stimulating conversation.

I like many others were torn btwn the GX100, D-Lux or GR2 and well.........Price became a factor and found a incredible deal I could not pass up. Soooo I bought the GX100 and so far so good.

That being said I do have a question about PP. I started using LightZone (trial version) to do my pp and found that It took allot of time to load images and a ridiculous amount of time do do any task. So much so I had to stop working with RAW

Is this the case with the full version of LightZone?

I realize it is customary to post some shots so here are a couple I took out and about in Manhattans subway. After opening it up at home I realized the guy on the right is looking at himself in 10 years
    Welcome, JDivila. Your shots are great. I love your style. I recently chose the GX-100 also. I use Lightroom and C1v4 to process (C1v4 for B+W JFI profiles), someone else will step in and answer your Lightzone question, I'm sure.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

LightZone's default settings are pretty slow- open up the preferences and set the memory allocation to as high as you think you can get away with and that should speed it up. It's still not the fastest thing, but for some photos, it's worth the waiting, IMO.

I love both photos, BTW. Great stuff! (I love that OO-sized Gibson parlor-y guitar.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the input and advice. Well It seem as though I cannot reset the memory in preference unless I am using the full version of LightZone. So Maggie I will have to take your word for it until I purchase it. For the record, I have no prob waiting sometime for a photo but 3hrs to make two changes is an obscenity

jd
    Last edited by JDavila; 21st February 2008 at 09:33.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Weird, I was able to change the memory settings in my trial version, IIRC. I guess they changed that.

Standards are down all over.