The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Street Photography

P

PIXIllate

The main reason I got the GR-D II was for street shooting.

It seems to be the perfect choice for me. Small, silent, and fast.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
That's a great reason to get a camera.
It's the main reason I get any camera. I do
other things with it but it has to cut it on
the street. Your off to a good start....
Get close, then get closer....
Shooter

P

PIXIllate

You of course are right about getting as close as possible. All of my favorites (Winogrand, Koudelka, Richards, Friedlander....) were masters of being right in the middle of a moment.

I'm looking for those moments when life is unaware it is being watched and is in the throws of living. There is something about capturing those details that allows us a peek at the seams of our construct.

I have been shooting street stuff for about 6-7 years with various cameras. A Nikon D70, an old FE2 with Tri-X@400, My D200 then my D300. All of these (with the exception of the FE2) were just too conspicuous to leave a scene undisturbed. The GR-D II seems to be a lot better in that regard.

Two more photos. The first is from the GR-D II and the second is an older one shot on TRI-X.

Chris