The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP1 Boomerang

Scott G

In a post here a few weeks ago I did a spectacular job of whining about the ergonomics of the DP1, and in the end decided to give it away to a friend (just as it was given to me by a friend...).

Well, it has now boomerang-ed back to me, so instead of whining about it I am going to try to actually use it occasionally :D

Here are some recent snaps

Last edited:

helenhill

I had One when it first came out
had a LOVE/HATE relationship
Sold it
but in the end
MISSED IT :)
I did like the way it felt in the hand
& the feoven sensor is DIVINE ....
It seems you've made Peace with it...cool

As long as You don;t need speed
it makes the DP1 a Keeper :D

simonclivehughes

Scott,

LOVE the second one... it looks so much like a clothing ad from a few years ago (except for the ubiquitous cell phone , of course).

I keep thinking about selling my DP1, but then I pick it up again and am thrilled by what comes out.

Cheers,

D

ddk

In a post here a few weeks ago I did a spectacular job of whining about the ergonomics of the DP1, and in the end decided to give it away to a friend (just as it was given to me by a friend...).

Well, it has now boomerang-ed back to me, so instead of whining about it I am going to try to actually use it occasionally :D
Yes, not an easy camera to like, we feel the same among my group of friends and there's even a DP2 making the rounds now, lets see how long you're going to put up with it this time around...

Lets forget about the poor battery life and the camera's ergonomic shortcomings for now and lets concentrate on the image side and if you'll end up getting something that you'll like without heavy pp or any that you might even want to print. This is where I found the Sigma most challenging, I never got an image that I liked, and yes I do blame the DP1, since I never felt this way with any other camera that I own/owned. Good or bad I always managed to get the image that I was after. Looking at what's posted around I see that others are facing the same issue. Both your new and old and new posts confirm my point. Don't get me wrong I'm no purist and love the digital age but no Nik or equivalent plug-in will fix an image that's lacking...

The fanboys aren't going to like to hear it but a camera is a tool and a good one helps you accomplish your objective but a bad one like the dp1 is just going to hinder and burden you...

N

nei1

Perhaps if you could prise it off your hip and risk putting the camera to your eye the results might be more interesting.

simonclivehughes

Don't worry about David, he just delights in throwing out caustic comments on each and every DP1/DP2 thread. He's regular as clockwork.

Cheers,

D

ddk

Don't worry about David, he just delights in throwing out caustic comments on each and every DP1/DP2 thread. He's regular as clockwork.

Cheers,
No, I don't delight in it at all, its just a counterpoint but I must be hitting a nerve since all I get from fanboys are snide personal remarks which has nothing to do with initial topic or my post.

simonclivehughes

You're just so predictable, David. Your "counterpoint" goes on ad nauseum. If you don't delight in it, why do you bother?

Cheers,

smokysun

we all tend to identify with our equipment. what's interesting to me: how each piece pulls something different out of us and puts various shades of reality on the screen. googling myself i find i've 310 galleries with 14,511 pics on line. these were taken with a couple dozen different cameras, dslrs and small sensor, various lenses. i've just taken a tour through myself. and here are a few observations.

any camera will take good pictures if the photographer hitting on all cylinders, both in capture and post.

i'm almost never happy with color, either my own or other people's. no wonder i've turned toward ir and b&w.

every sensor puts out a different color quality. the dp1 and the foveon has a very old-fashioned feel, rather like early processes. if you don't like this, you won't like the sigma cameras. (i also have a polaroid x530 with foveon.)

i think a survey of your work can be very valuable. the same event taken with various cameras has a complete array of possible emotional revelations. today i think the most evocative pictures i've taken in both b&w and color were with the leica digilux 2 (and i haven't touched it in a couple of years). is that because of my affection for the camera? perhaps. and tomorrow maybe i'll find shots from the 5d's more satisfying.

it seems to me very hard to pick out your best shot. in the documentary on annie lebovitz she needed to learn from a picture editor, otherwise she didn't have a clue why one better than another. and that's one of the most famous photographers in the world.

best, wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

N

nei1

Wayne ,as good as lebovtz is she leaves me with the impression of being a bit of a tart.
The important thing in my opinion is to please oneself ,not leave the judgement up to others,then your opinion of what youve done is all important,as it should be.Critics,as we all know are the biggest of tarts.

D

ddk

And you're not? Yes, you're right, there's a lack of fanboy cheerleading at nauseam here.

I offer my counterpoints because I find the cheerleading both misleading and misguided!

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
This is difficult ground here. There are a few subjects open for discussion...but if I may....

I am asked on a regular basis to edit and curate images. Ok, here's what I would propose to this conversation on this thread.....

I would suggest that everyone look back in your own archive and very carefully and critically pick your own best work. The criteria for judgement is your own. Use no one elses standards but your own.
You either love the image or not....think a bouts don't count....

then, don't look at the rectangle or square frame at all...just the image and how you feel when viewing it....

after a spell with the selected images, no matter how many....think if it makes a difference what camera or lens or computer or enlarger etc...is important to the images....hopefully if you are open with your self....the answer would be...who cares...these represent my essence....I feel these images....

it's very easy to create stumbling blocks to block our creativity...cameras are great examples.... The hardest thing is to find a formula that works for you and then when it fails... to blame one self.....easier to blame anything else......

by the way, I love the DP1..... when it doesn't work or produce good images...it's obviously my fault.... it's that way with all my cameras....guitars.....cars...trucks...friends...family...

etc

etc

don

hilld

Scott:

I think the third shot by itself is enough reason to keep the DP1. (Ok, Ok, I'm biased; I have one myself.) The tones are terrific. And so is the clarity, as far as I can judge.

Stop agonising -- just hold on to it!

Scott G

I'm fascinated how we become so polarized over machines. I totally respect everyone's opinions, and especially the passion with which they are expressed. I wish I could get all worked up over this stuff too, but to me it's just a camera.:sleep006: It doesn't define who or what I am.

I don't know why, but some classic Rodney Dangerfield feels appropriate for this debate:

"My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too."

and

"I went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out."

Last edited:
D

ddk

hilld, what a pleasure, another typical fanboy response when you don't have a leg to stand on. But from you, I didn't expect any better.

D

ddk

This is difficult ground here. There are a few subjects open for discussion...but if I may....

I am asked on a regular basis to edit and curate images. Ok, here's what I would propose to this conversation on this thread.....

I would suggest that everyone look back in your own archive and very carefully and critically pick your own best work. The criteria for judgement is your own. Use no one elses standards but your own.
You either love the image or not....think a bouts don't count....

then, don't look at the rectangle or square frame at all...just the image and how you feel when viewing it....

after a spell with the selected images, no matter how many....think if it makes a difference what camera or lens or computer or enlarger etc...is important to the images....hopefully if you are open with your self....the answer would be...who cares...these represent my essence....I feel these images....

it's very easy to create stumbling blocks to block our creativity...cameras are great examples.... The hardest thing is to find a formula that works for you and then when it fails... to blame one self.....easier to blame anything else......

by the way, I love the DP1..... when it doesn't work or produce good images...it's obviously my fault.... it's that way with all my cameras....guitars.....cars...trucks...friends...family...

etc

etc

don
Its a lot simpler than that Don, this is gear a forum and there's always going to be a difference of opinion wether one likes it or not. We can either learn from, agree/disagree with or ignore a post, but snide personal remarks are counterproductive and would only turn the threads into pointless mud slinging bouts like this one. But then again maybe that's exactly what some are after...