Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 49 of 49

Thread: DP1 Boomerang

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland USA
    Posts
    466
    Post Thanks / Like

    DP1 Boomerang

    In a post here a few weeks ago I did a spectacular job of whining about the ergonomics of the DP1, and in the end decided to give it away to a friend (just as it was given to me by a friend...).

    Well, it has now boomerang-ed back to me, so instead of whining about it I am going to try to actually use it occasionally

    Here are some recent snaps






    Last edited by Scott G; 25th June 2009 at 19:25.

  2. #2
    Senior Member helenhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,895
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    I had One when it first came out
    had a LOVE/HATE relationship
    Sold it
    but in the end
    MISSED IT
    I did like the way it felt in the hand
    & the feoven sensor is DIVINE ....
    It seems you've made Peace with it...cool

    As long as You don;t need speed
    it makes the DP1 a Keeper

  3. #3
    Senior Member simonclivehughes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    Scott,

    LOVE the second one... it looks so much like a clothing ad from a few years ago (except for the ubiquitous cell phone , of course).

    I keep thinking about selling my DP1, but then I pick it up again and am thrilled by what comes out.

    Cheers,

  4. #4
    ddk
    Guest

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott G View Post
    In a post here a few weeks ago I did a spectacular job of whining about the ergonomics of the DP1, and in the end decided to give it away to a friend (just as it was given to me by a friend...).

    Well, it has now boomerang-ed back to me, so instead of whining about it I am going to try to actually use it occasionally
    Yes, not an easy camera to like, we feel the same among my group of friends and there's even a DP2 making the rounds now, lets see how long you're going to put up with it this time around...

    Lets forget about the poor battery life and the camera's ergonomic shortcomings for now and lets concentrate on the image side and if you'll end up getting something that you'll like without heavy pp or any that you might even want to print. This is where I found the Sigma most challenging, I never got an image that I liked, and yes I do blame the DP1, since I never felt this way with any other camera that I own/owned. Good or bad I always managed to get the image that I was after. Looking at what's posted around I see that others are facing the same issue. Both your new and old and new posts confirm my point. Don't get me wrong I'm no purist and love the digital age but no Nik or equivalent plug-in will fix an image that's lacking...

    The fanboys aren't going to like to hear it but a camera is a tool and a good one helps you accomplish your objective but a bad one like the dp1 is just going to hinder and burden you...

  5. #5
    nei1
    Guest

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    Perhaps if you could prise it off your hip and risk putting the camera to your eye the results might be more interesting.

  6. #6
    ddk
    Guest

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    Quote Originally Posted by nei1 View Post
    Perhaps if you could prise it off your hip and risk putting the camera to your eye the results might be more interesting.
    Perhaps you could take your sarcasm and eat it!

  7. #7
    Senior Member simonclivehughes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    Don't worry about David, he just delights in throwing out caustic comments on each and every DP1/DP2 thread. He's regular as clockwork.

    Cheers,

  8. #8
    ddk
    Guest

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    Quote Originally Posted by simonclivehughes View Post
    Don't worry about David, he just delights in throwing out caustic comments on each and every DP1/DP2 thread. He's regular as clockwork.

    Cheers,
    No, I don't delight in it at all, its just a counterpoint but I must be hitting a nerve since all I get from fanboys are snide personal remarks which has nothing to do with initial topic or my post.

  9. #9
    Senior Member simonclivehughes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    You're just so predictable, David. Your "counterpoint" goes on ad nauseum. If you don't delight in it, why do you bother?

    Cheers,

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,627
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    we all tend to identify with our equipment. what's interesting to me: how each piece pulls something different out of us and puts various shades of reality on the screen. googling myself i find i've 310 galleries with 14,511 pics on line. these were taken with a couple dozen different cameras, dslrs and small sensor, various lenses. i've just taken a tour through myself. and here are a few observations.

    any camera will take good pictures if the photographer hitting on all cylinders, both in capture and post.

    i'm almost never happy with color, either my own or other people's. no wonder i've turned toward ir and b&w.

    every sensor puts out a different color quality. the dp1 and the foveon has a very old-fashioned feel, rather like early processes. if you don't like this, you won't like the sigma cameras. (i also have a polaroid x530 with foveon.)

    i think a survey of your work can be very valuable. the same event taken with various cameras has a complete array of possible emotional revelations. today i think the most evocative pictures i've taken in both b&w and color were with the leica digilux 2 (and i haven't touched it in a couple of years). is that because of my affection for the camera? perhaps. and tomorrow maybe i'll find shots from the 5d's more satisfying.

    it seems to me very hard to pick out your best shot. in the documentary on annie lebovitz she needed to learn from a picture editor, otherwise she didn't have a clue why one better than another. and that's one of the most famous photographers in the world.



    best, wayne
    www.pbase.com/wwp

  11. #11
    nei1
    Guest

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    Wayne ,as good as lebovtz is she leaves me with the impression of being a bit of a tart.
    The important thing in my opinion is to please oneself ,not leave the judgement up to others,then your opinion of what youve done is all important,as it should be.Critics,as we all know are the biggest of tarts.

  12. #12
    ddk
    Guest

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    And you're not? Yes, you're right, there's a lack of fanboy cheerleading at nauseam here.

    I offer my counterpoints because I find the cheerleading both misleading and misguided!

  13. #13
    nei1
    Guest

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    Perhaps you could take your sarcasm and eat it!
    too many calories

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,627
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DP1 Boomerang



    hmm, not a lot of room here for serious discussion...

    i'd like to recommend a few books that should humble us all:

    http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Vacatio...6040232&sr=8-1

    http://www.amazon.com/Snapshots-Cent...6040326&sr=1-2

    http://www.amazon.com/fotolog-book-G...6040372&sr=1-1

    and let's throw this in, the young kids coming up:

    http://www.jpgmag.com/?utm_source=ne...letter06252009

    wayne
    www.pbase.com/wwp

  15. #15
    Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    This is difficult ground here. There are a few subjects open for discussion...but if I may....

    I am asked on a regular basis to edit and curate images. Ok, here's what I would propose to this conversation on this thread.....

    I would suggest that everyone look back in your own archive and very carefully and critically pick your own best work. The criteria for judgement is your own. Use no one elses standards but your own.
    You either love the image or not....think a bouts don't count....

    then, don't look at the rectangle or square frame at all...just the image and how you feel when viewing it....

    after a spell with the selected images, no matter how many....think if it makes a difference what camera or lens or computer or enlarger etc...is important to the images....hopefully if you are open with your self....the answer would be...who cares...these represent my essence....I feel these images....

    it's very easy to create stumbling blocks to block our creativity...cameras are great examples.... The hardest thing is to find a formula that works for you and then when it fails... to blame one self.....easier to blame anything else......

    by the way, I love the DP1..... when it doesn't work or produce good images...it's obviously my fault.... it's that way with all my cameras....guitars.....cars...trucks...friends...f amily...

    etc

    etc

    don

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Andalusia, Spain
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    Quote Originally Posted by simonclivehughes View Post
    Don't worry about David, he just delights in throwing out caustic comments on each and every DP1/DP2 thread. He's regular as clockwork.

    Cheers,
    Did you mean "cuckoo-clockwork"?

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Andalusia, Spain
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    Scott:

    I think the third shot by itself is enough reason to keep the DP1. (Ok, Ok, I'm biased; I have one myself.) The tones are terrific. And so is the clarity, as far as I can judge.

    Stop agonising -- just hold on to it!

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland USA
    Posts
    466
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    I'm fascinated how we become so polarized over machines. I totally respect everyone's opinions, and especially the passion with which they are expressed. I wish I could get all worked up over this stuff too, but to me it's just a camera.:sleep006: It doesn't define who or what I am.

    I don't know why, but some classic Rodney Dangerfield feels appropriate for this debate:

    "My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too."

    and

    "I went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out."
    Last edited by Scott G; 26th June 2009 at 12:30.

  19. #19
    ddk
    Guest

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    hilld, what a pleasure, another typical fanboy response when you don't have a leg to stand on. But from you, I didn't expect any better.

  20. #20
    ddk
    Guest

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post
    This is difficult ground here. There are a few subjects open for discussion...but if I may....

    I am asked on a regular basis to edit and curate images. Ok, here's what I would propose to this conversation on this thread.....

    I would suggest that everyone look back in your own archive and very carefully and critically pick your own best work. The criteria for judgement is your own. Use no one elses standards but your own.
    You either love the image or not....think a bouts don't count....

    then, don't look at the rectangle or square frame at all...just the image and how you feel when viewing it....

    after a spell with the selected images, no matter how many....think if it makes a difference what camera or lens or computer or enlarger etc...is important to the images....hopefully if you are open with your self....the answer would be...who cares...these represent my essence....I feel these images....

    it's very easy to create stumbling blocks to block our creativity...cameras are great examples.... The hardest thing is to find a formula that works for you and then when it fails... to blame one self.....easier to blame anything else......

    by the way, I love the DP1..... when it doesn't work or produce good images...it's obviously my fault.... it's that way with all my cameras....guitars.....cars...trucks...friends...f amily...

    etc

    etc

    don
    Its a lot simpler than that Don, this is gear a forum and there's always going to be a difference of opinion wether one likes it or not. We can either learn from, agree/disagree with or ignore a post, but snide personal remarks are counterproductive and would only turn the threads into pointless mud slinging bouts like this one. But then again maybe that's exactly what some are after...

  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    206
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    14

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    David,

    I'm trying to understand what you are actually saying here. Are you saying that the DP1 is such a bad camera that not only you, but any one else using it, wouldn't get any decent pictures from it? Or are you simply stating that you didn't get a long with the camera and didn't get a single picture that you liked from shooting with it? It's not entirely clear from your earlier posts.

    -Thomas

  22. #22
    ddk
    Guest

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    Thomas,

    I was stating my case with the camera and wondering if the OP had any dp1 images that he would consider keepers. I also mentioned about a trend that I see with many posters of dp1 images, including the OP that a large no. are pp'd with Nik or equivalent plug-ins, its something to think about. I'm sure that the dp1 suits a number of people's shooting styles and subject matter out there and vice versa as seen by OP's remarks on the history of his camera. I offered my points to the OP because of what I see as his hesitance in dealing with the camera.

    (Edit) PS, I'm not making any value judgment on the use of plugins, just noticing a trend...
    Last edited by ddk; 26th June 2009 at 13:49.

  23. #23
    Senior Member simonclivehughes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    We can either learn from, agree/disagree with or ignore a post...
    David,

    I can't recall a single DP1 thread that you yourself have ignored. Rather, you launch into your bad experience story yet again. The point is that it's not conducive to productive discussion about a camera that the rest of us "fanboys" (as you have labeled anyone who has had good experiences with the DP1) have learned to cope with and use productively. I guess it's possible that our good experiences seem to rub you the wrong way somehow, but I just don't see the point of your insistent posts.

    WRT using PP on DP1 images, again, I don't see your point. I PP every image to some extent or another, it's just part of the workflow. I also have no issue with using Nik (or any other PP software) to help bring out what I see in an image, regardless of the camera that produced the original file. Ever seen Ansel Adams' negs as opposed to the final print? Each of us will have a different set of expectations WRT our images and how we perceive the end product. That's all part of the fun and mystery of photography, made even more accessible by digital technology.

    So you didn't have a good experience with the DP1, we all know that... let's all move on. Please also realize that no one is slinging mud at you, just asking for a little tolerance. No slight is intended.

    Cheers,

  24. #24
    ddk
    Guest

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    Quote Originally Posted by simonclivehughes View Post
    David,

    I can't recall a single DP1 thread that you yourself have ignored. Rather, you launch into your bad experience story yet again.
    Simon, its my prerogative, to respond to a post! Its quite presumptuous to even think that you have the right to tell me or anyone for that matter not to respond to someone else's post. I could tell you the same about cheering for this camera every time that there's a negative post. You do realize that this was a negative post? Its about a camera that gets passed around because nobody wants it, even for free!

    Quote Originally Posted by simonclivehughes View Post
    The point is that it's not conducive to productive discussion about a camera that the rest of us "fanboys" (as you have labeled anyone who has had good experiences with the DP1) have learned to cope with and use productively.
    If the shoe fits! And no I haven't labelled anyone for their passion just the ones who have no tolerance for another pov, and I'm hoping that by a productive discussion you don't just mean agreeing with you, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by simonclivehughes View Post
    I guess it's possible that our good experiences seem to rub you the wrong way somehow, but I just don't see the point of your insistent posts.
    I could ask you the same about your insistent comments on the same topic, please don't make this kind of remarks, it only degrades the conversation!

    My post wasn't aimed at you, its for the benefit of those who are either on the fence or thinking about taking the plunge. There are things that some of us find seriously wrong with these cameras and there are people visiting sites such as this to collect information. You might not think so but I feel that my negative comments have value for them. My negative responses have mostly been in threads that are either open to discussion or negative to begin with, like this one and the one of last week which was a very negative review, are you going to censor everyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by simonclivehughes View Post
    WRT using PP on DP1 images, again, I don't see your point. I PP every image to some extent or another, it's just part of the workflow. I also have no issue with using Nik (or any other PP software) to help bring out what I see in an image, regardless of the camera that produced the original file. Ever seen Ansel Adams' negs as opposed to the final print? Each of us will have a different set of expectations WRT our images and how we perceive the end product. That's all part of the fun and mystery of photography, made even more accessible by digital technology.
    Its alright if you don't get my point. For the record, I have no issues with what people do or don't do with their images, I wasn't judging them, nor am I speaking from a purist pov, which I'm definitely not, nor are many of the photographers who's works I admire. Just sharing an observation with OP.

    Quote Originally Posted by simonclivehughes View Post
    So you didn't have a good experience with the DP1, we all know that... let's all move on. Please also realize that no one is slinging mud at you, just asking for a little tolerance. No slight is intended.

    Cheers,
    You're asking me for tolerance? I have no problems with your posts is it not me that you don't tolerate? and if by moving on you mean shutting up, its not going to happen when there are others that might benefit from a different experience. But if your point is moving on from the exchanges of today, its all forgotten.

    Cheers to you too.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    montreal/london/suitcase
    Posts
    296
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    Yes, not an easy camera to like, we feel the same among my group of friends and there's even a DP2 making the rounds now, lets see how long you're going to put up with it this time around...

    Lets forget about the poor battery life and the camera's ergonomic shortcomings for now and lets concentrate on the image side and if you'll end up getting something that you'll like without heavy pp or any that you might even want to print. This is where I found the Sigma most challenging, I never got an image that I liked, and yes I do blame the DP1, since I never felt this way with any other camera that I own/owned. Good or bad I always managed to get the image that I was after. Looking at what's posted around I see that others are facing the same issue. Both your new and old and new posts confirm my point. Don't get me wrong I'm no purist and love the digital age but no Nik or equivalent plug-in will fix an image that's lacking...

    The fanboys aren't going to like to hear it but a camera is a tool and a good one helps you accomplish your objective but a bad one like the dp1 is just going to hinder and burden you...
    hmmm, i have to contest the "bad one" part despite agreeing with what you have to say in principle. i have managed to produce some work i am very fond of with the dp1. i find it an exceptional scale focus documentary camera that has helped me accomplish what i set out to do. i suppose it's just a matter of opinion really, not the camera itself.

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    montreal/london/suitcase
    Posts
    296
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    ps. you can send all your free dp1's my way! i'll put it to good use!

  27. #27
    ddk
    Guest

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    Quote Originally Posted by gallery7 View Post
    hmmm, i have to contest the "bad one" part despite agreeing with what you have to say in principle. i have managed to produce some work i am very fond of with the dp1. i find it an exceptional scale focus documentary camera that has helped me accomplish what i set out to do. i suppose it's just a matter of opinion really, not the camera itself.
    I've seen some of your images, I don't know from which camera but I liked them a lot. If you could get it to sing for you great, I'm among the group who didn't...

  28. #28
    Senior Member simonclivehughes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    David,

    Obviously we're not going to see eye-to-eye on this and I humbly apologize to you if I've offended you in this thread.

    Ciao,

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland USA
    Posts
    466
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    Holy crap, what is wrong with you people? It's a camera for crying out loud! Like it or love, just please stop the public peeing contests.

    You do realize that this was a negative post? Its about a camera that gets passed around because nobody wants it, even for free!
    David, wrong. Go back and read my original post. I said I was going to stop whining about the camera's ergonomics, and start using it. How is that negative?? Get over yourself and let's move on.

    Note to self: NEVER post a DP1 image again

  30. #30
    ddk
    Guest

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott G View Post
    Holy crap, what is wrong with you people? It's a camera for crying out loud! Like it or love, just please stop the public peeing contests.

    David, wrong. Go back and read my original post. I said I was going to stop whining about the camera's ergonomics, and start using it. How is that negative??
    The title!

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott G View Post
    Note to self: NEVER post a DP1 image again
    Ignore us, its not about your post, this goes back a bit!

  31. #31
    ddk
    Guest

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    Quote Originally Posted by simonclivehughes View Post
    David,

    Obviously we're not going to see eye-to-eye on this and I humbly apologize to you if I've offended you in this thread.

    Ciao,
    Forget it Simon, no hard feelings and thank you for being gracious.

  32. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    montreal/london/suitcase
    Posts
    296
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    maybe "opinion" was the wrong word... intended use? if i was to judge it beyond being a great, silent documentary tool it wouldn't fair too well. the battery life is maddening. it quite often just freezes up on me. in hot, humid weather it's next to impossible to hold on to. autofocus? forget about it.

    in the right situations, and i suppose in the right hands it can sing a mighty sweet tune though. the REAL reason i use one, and it is very, very important to me, is that it is the best compact i have used for retaining as much highlight detail as possible. i often need to work quickly and discreetly and i need a camera that can help in that department. it really is the dp1's saving grace in my humble opinion.

    thank you for the kind words david. i am partial to your pbase stuff as well.

  33. #33
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,344
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    Hmmm... I think I need to try this camera, so I can participate in the mudslinging too Unfortunately, the last time I saw it for sale here, it was at a price higher than what I paid for my S5

    But honestly, I think I understand both sentiments. Mostly, working with a tool that is flawed in too many ways, is frustrating and unsatisfactory. On the other side, if one finds a side of that tool that appeals to ones senses, maybe something totally offbeat and of only limited practical use, that may be enough to create a fascination, and affection even, for the tool, and to make one defend it whatever the general, informed opinion is. And then, if it's possible to achieve outstanding results from the dysfunctional thing now and then, it's all the more satisfying

    But then, I used to drive CitroŽns for many years, the favourites being the AK400 (the 2CV van, mine had a colour that made my friends call it "Little Urine") and the CX GTI with an interior that looked like a nightclub from the next century

  34. #34
    ddk
    Guest

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Hmmm... I think I need to try this camera, so I can participate in the mudslinging too Unfortunately, the last time I saw it for sale here, it was at a price higher than what I paid for my S5

    But honestly, I think I understand both sentiments. Mostly, working with a tool that is flawed in too many ways, is frustrating and unsatisfactory. On the other side, if one finds a side of that tool that appeals to ones senses, maybe something totally offbeat and of only limited practical use, that may be enough to create a fascination, and affection even, for the tool, and to make one defend it whatever the general, informed opinion is. And then, if it's possible to achieve outstanding results from the dysfunctional thing now and then, it's all the more satisfying

    But then, I used to drive CitroŽns for many years, the favourites being the AK400 (the 2CV van, mine had a colour that made my friends call it "Little Urine") and the CX GTI with an interior that looked like a nightclub from the next century
    You missed the party Jorgen, the mud slinging started on a personal comments and then got side tracked, not gear related...

  35. #35
    Senior Member simonclivehughes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Mostly, working with a tool that is flawed in too many ways, is frustrating and unsatisfactory. ... And then, if it's possible to achieve outstanding results from the dysfunctional thing now and then, it's all the more satisfying.
    Jorgen,

    Exactly... the DP1 is a real dog's breakfast of a design. Great idea, flawed execution, but it is possible to get some exceptionally nice images for a camera of its size. I use mine almost exclusively in MF, set to hyperfocal, use an external VF and work as slowly as needed for the card-write. Works for me, but most certainly not for everyone.

    As much as I love/hate the DP1, I declined getting the DP2 with many of the very same flaws.

    Cheers,

  36. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,627
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    usually i avoid these ego-driven arguments like the plague (migrated from the leica forum for that reason), however i'm enjoying this one cause it's making me think and really examine what works for me.

    in terms of vanity (which is what this thread seems to be about), only three cameras i've had have gotten extraordinary compliments from other photographers, some of them beautiful women: the leica digilux-2, the leica d-lux 1, and the dp1 with the voightlander viewfinder.

    those who say this doesn't matter to them are probably pros!

    tho some turn up their noses at the dp reviews, i find them very informative, if not final. in terms of image quality they are very conservative. only a 1ds III and d3x get 9.5. (they've never given a 10, as far as i know.)

    canon g10 - 8.0

    panasonic lx3 - 8.5

    sigma dp1 - 9.0

    that 9 is the highest they've ever given a small sensor camera.

    and they rated the lx3 best overall, the g10 runnerup, and the dp1 'barely recommended'

    thinking about my own experience, i loved wearing the dp1, i felt it to be solid, the files wonderful.

    yet i'm probably going to trade it for a d-lux 4. why? zoom. fast write raw (twice as fast as the dp1). smaller. for the most part i use a compact as a diary and the fast lens 2.0 probably big help. why not the lx3? it simply looks clunky to me!

    vanity does have a place. next time a lovely lady photographer compliments me, i'm asking her on a photo-shoot.

    so there.

    wayne
    www.pbase.com/wwp

  37. #37
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    Quote Originally Posted by smokysun View Post
    usually i avoid these ego-driven arguments like the plague (migrated from the leica forum for that reason), however i'm enjoying this one cause it's making me think and really examine what works for me.

    in terms of vanity (which is what this thread seems to be about), only three cameras i've had have gotten extraordinary compliments from other photographers, some of them beautiful women: the leica digilux-2, the leica d-lux 1, and the dp1 with the voightlander viewfinder.

    those who say this doesn't matter to them are probably pros!

    tho some turn up their noses at the dp reviews, i find them very informative, if not final. in terms of image quality they are very conservative. only a 1ds III and d3x get 9.5. (they've never given a 10, as far as i know.)

    canon g10 - 8.0

    panasonic lx3 - 8.5

    sigma dp1 - 9.0

    that 9 is the highest they've ever given a small sensor camera.

    and they rated the lx3 best overall, the g10 runnerup, and the dp1 'barely recommended'

    thinking about my own experience, i loved wearing the dp1, i felt it to be solid, the files wonderful.

    yet i'm probably going to trade it for a d-lux 4. why? zoom. fast write raw (twice as fast as the dp1). smaller. for the most part i use a compact as a diary and the fast lens 2.0 probably big help. why not the lx3? it simply looks clunky to me!

    vanity does have a place. next time a lovely lady photographer compliments me, i'm asking her on a photo-shoot.

    so there.

    wayne
    www.pbase.com/wwp
    Wow, should have opened a bottle of wine to read through this thread. Obviously the large sensor was a draw for the DP1/DP2, curious as to why you aren't considering the E-P1. Size? Lenses? Price?

  38. #38
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,527
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    IMHO the DP-1 is very like a folding medium format camera such as a Zeiss Super Ikonta.
    Very compact, with the best possible image quality in the tiniest package possible. Everything else is subordinated to that mission. Quirky controls and sometimes slow operation aside; nothing else gives such a big sensor in such a compact camera.
    Some will be able to make this camera sing (Gee Don, does that loan offer still stand?), others with be put off by the compromise.
    The fact that it engenders such debate tells just how much impact the design has had!

  39. #39
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    Lets change the direction this thread is heading. Let me say this once, this is not DPR. Read the rules, this is a no insult mudslinging forum. Let's move forward folks.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  40. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,627
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    thanks for the tip on the e-p1. i didn't even know about it. here's a preview:

    http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympusep1/

    the price seems right. and the features quite something. here's another preview:

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/digitalcameras/?p=862

    size makes it not a real compact, at least with the zoom lens. and that lens starts slow: 3.5. in my experience you really need 2.0 in lowlight to make a camera completely usable. and the lcd has half the pixels it should have.

    and i'm not sure i want to get into the business of buying more lenses!

    however, this is definitely an advance.

    ps. here's a review that absolutely dishes the d-lux 4!!!

    http://kenrockwell.com/leica/d-lux-4.htm
    Last edited by smokysun; 26th June 2009 at 21:32.

  41. #41
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    They started hitting the stores in the UK this week and should arrive in the US late next week. If you have a couple of weeks stay tuned and you will start to see a lot posted about the camera.

    In terms of lenses there will be more coming and Panasonic is due to launch a 20mm f1.7 lens this fall and it will work on the Oly body. There is a huge list of manual focus lenses you can also use with it.

  42. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,627
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    thanks again. i'm in no hurry and will keep an eye on it.

  43. #43
    frankweir
    Guest

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    david...but aren't your words typical of the "mud slinging" you seem to be so angry about?

    "...another typical fanboy response when you don't have a leg to stand on. But from you, I didn't expect any better.... "

    This seems awfully mean-spirited to me but I'm willing to listen to your opinions on the dp-1. You have more experience with it than me. I just don't understand why everyone seems so angry over this camera?? Do many people feel the sigma is so poor that it represents a rip off by sigma?

    frank weir

  44. #44
    ddk
    Guest

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    Quote Originally Posted by frankweir View Post
    david...but aren't your words typical of the "mud slinging" you seem to be so angry about?

    "...another typical fanboy response when you don't have a leg to stand on. But from you, I didn't expect any better.... "

    This seems awfully mean-spirited to me but I'm willing to listen to your opinions on the dp-1. You have more experience with it than me. I just don't understand why everyone seems so angry over this camera?? Do many people feel the sigma is so poor that it represents a rip off by sigma?

    frank weir
    Hi Frank,

    Let's call this an unfortunate and fruitless thread that I'm not particularly proud of and leave at that.

    That response was directed at a new member that I never had any interaction with and his first post to me starts with a personal insult, that was my way of telling him to F off.

    Please ask others regarding the camera, I don't really want to waste any more time with it, thanks.

  45. #45
    Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    The DP1 is great....that's it!......!

  46. #46
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,527
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    DP-1 is now just over 380$ at Amazon...and I'm a Prime member...no shipping charges, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

  47. #47
    Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    Great price Lili...I think the FOV will
    work for you....
    Don

  48. #48
    Workshop Member glenerrolrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jupiter FL/Atlanta GA
    Posts
    2,279
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    Smoky

    Just for the heck of it I am jumping in. I read Ken Rockwell s blog regularly because he has decent insights to most Nikon equipment. This review of the D Lux 4 is quite simply ridiculous . He spends the entire first page complaining thats its basically a Panasonic Lx3 (does anyone on this forum really not know that?) .

    But he omits that the Panasonic Lx3 has a Leica designed 24mm/2.0 summicron. He also omits that the Lx3 almost always wins or ties with the Canon G10 for the best available small sized P&S. He focuses on the complexity and inefficiency of the menu options..valid but surely not up there with IQ and field usability.

    I think the Leica form is a little better than the Panasonic and might be worth maybe a few hundred more to me. I bought my daughter the LX3 and paid about $400 .....she has a 5D and plenty of L glass.. But the Lx3 gets taken everywhere and thats the point.

    But Sorry Ken s report is a strong opinion based on a few hours with the camera and no serious testing.


    Roger





    Quote Originally Posted by smokysun View Post
    thanks for the tip on the e-p1. i didn't even know about it. here's a preview:

    http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympusep1/

    the price seems right. and the features quite something. here's another preview:

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/digitalcameras/?p=862

    size makes it not a real compact, at least with the zoom lens. and that lens starts slow: 3.5. in my experience you really need 2.0 in lowlight to make a camera completely usable. and the lcd has half the pixels it should have.

    and i'm not sure i want to get into the business of buying more lenses!

    however, this is definitely an advance.

    ps. here's a review that absolutely dishes the d-lux 4!!!

    http://kenrockwell.com/leica/d-lux-4.htm

  49. #49
    Senior Member nostatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    1,037
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DP1 Boomerang

    Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    But Sorry Ken s report is a strong opinion based on a few hours with the camera and no serious testing.
    And too few neurons as well.

    He is comic relief. Take everything he writes with a big salt lick...

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •