The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Whats your "Go To" Camera? In any sensor size that is...

rmueller

I used to carry a Mamiya 7II with 65mm lens but recently switched to
Leica X1 which is now with me all the time. Easier to get rid of trash ;)

Regards,
Ralf

jonoslack

I haven't got a 'go to' camera.
I always have an M9 with me, and something else as well, either a d-lux4, or an Olympus pen.
Trouble is that the d-lux4 doesn't produce good enough quality files, and the zoom lens on the Olympus pen isn't either good enough or wide enough. (also goes for the Sony Nex and the Panasonic).

Changing lenses on a 'go to' camera is a nono, so I want one with a 24 - something lens and decent IQ, I still mourn the passing of my lovely 12-60 Olympus zoom.
:cry::cry:

clark666

I wonder whether there will be a 4/3 to Sony Nex converter so that we can use the 4/3 lenses on something other than m4/3s?

Helena

I have tried µ4/3 and a Canon 450D (Xsi), but always returned to my beloved 5D, so that is all I own now. I even bring it cross country skiing. :)

If someone would make a smaller camera with FF sensor, 35/1.4 or 35/1.8 lens, viewfinder and AF, for a price that I can afford (no higher than a 5DII for example) I'd jump on it.

jonoslack

I have tried µ4/3 and a Canon 450D (Xsi), but always returned to my beloved 5D, so that is all I own now. I even bring it cross country skiing. :)

If someone would make a smaller camera with FF sensor, 35/1.4 or 35/1.8 lens, viewfinder and AF, for a price that I can afford (no higher than a 5DII for example) I'd jump on it.
Skiing, my 'go to' camera is definitely the M9 - usually with a 35 lens on it as well, but it only fulfills your ff and smaller criteria, it falls down on price and AF!

Helena

Skiing, my 'go to' camera is definitely the M9 - usually with a 35 lens on it as well, but it only fulfills your ff and smaller criteria, it falls down on price and AF!
Maybe it's because I have never tried MF that I'm worried about it. I should get a cheap MF lens for 5D and try it some time. The price is harder to do something about... If I'm patient maybe eventually there'll be something like what I want. :)

M5-Guy

I like taking my FF camera
Olympus XA loaded with ISO 200 or 400 Color Film:thumbs:
The G1 I may take now and again...but first, I will need to get that hard to find Olympus 17mm f/2.8 m/43 first.

Lili

I like taking my FF camera
Olympus XA loaded with ISO 200 or 400 Color Film:thumbs:
The G1 I may take now and again...but first, I will need to get that hard to find Olympus 17mm f/2.8 m/43 first.
I got my 17mm Zuiko for the PEN off Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-17mm-...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1277925559&sr=8-1

(shot with my F200EXR Fuji, which vies with the F70, better IQ, less Zoom)
It is far far better than its reputation would one believe

E-PL1 17mm Zuiko

Last edited:

M5-Guy

I got my 17mm Zuiko for the PEN off Amazon.

(shot with my F200EXR Fuji, which vies with the F70, better IQ, less Zoom)
It is far far better than its reputation would one believe

E-PL1 17mm Zuiko
Looks good on your D-Pen.

Just ordered one from Adorama.. Back-ordered... but it is at $230.00 right now... I needed to penny pinch for this one. So, I get the G1 next week, and the lens ???? Soon I hope. :cry:

neilvan

My "go to" camera would be my Sony R1. Great lens/sensor combo in a compact package.

Works great for roadtrips etc.

Tim

This thread has been going so long now that I have to update - I've gone from a GRD II to a GRD III :shocked:

....and my M9 (which I´ve had since February) has sent everything else to the cupboard (maybe i´ve made 20 exposures in all with my D-Lux 4 since I got the M9, and none with the G1).

Joan

Wow, this thread has been going for a long time! And I've been away from getDPI for a long time, too. Hoping to have more time for photography soon, and my "go to" camera is now going to be my ONLY camera for the foreseeable future. I got rid of every other camera I own over the last six months, even sold off my old Minolta film SLR. Bought myself the new Ricoh GXR p10 kit with the EVF. Just started testing it a bit and am very happy with it so far. Since I rarely print beyond 8"x10," I really don't mind having just a small sensor cam. I am determined to make the most of it! (Famous last words, lol)

Lili

Wow, this thread has been going for a long time! And I've been away from getDPI for a long time, too. Hoping to have more time for photography soon, and my "go to" camera is now going to be my ONLY camera for the foreseeable future. I got rid of every other camera I own over the last six months, even sold off my old Minolta film SLR. Bought myself the new Ricoh GXR p10 kit with the EVF. Just started testing it a bit and am very happy with it so far. Since I rarely print beyond 8"x10," I really don't mind having just a small sensor cam. I am determined to make the most of it! (Famous last words, lol)
Welcome back Joan. I do not know whether to be sorry or glad for your 'focus' on one piece of gear...such would likely do me a world of good rather than frittering away my time learning each new camera (that was the point of this post, BTW, the goto camera would be the one you would keep if forced down to one). Nowadays for me it would likely be my E-PL1...

pollobarca

Keeps camera.... ?

I would sign a pact with the devil and keep both the Oly C5050z and the GX100! But if he wasnt willing to accept my soul I would have to go for the GX100.

paul

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Hi Joan:

I've just started a thread on images from the GXR p10. I love it!

Keith

Joan

Welcome back Joan. I do not know whether to be sorry or glad for your 'focus' on one piece of gear...such would likely do me a world of good rather than frittering away my time learning each new camera (that was the point of this post, BTW, the goto camera would be the one you would keep if forced down to one). Nowadays for me it would likely be my E-PL1...
Thanks, Lily! :) I think that my schizophrenic buying and selling of cameras over the last couple of years has probably equally impeded and helped my growth as a photographer. I've learned quite a bit about how digital cameras work, and a fair amount about processing, but I don't know if I have learned to "see" the shot any better than before ... so much time spent learning the cameras and not enough spent on looking for the best angle or the most interesting composition. Hoping that having this one little "jack of all trades" camera will get me thinking differently and more creatively about what I'm seeing. We'll see .... now if it just wasn't so darned HOT outside, I might be motivated more to get out there and play with it!

Keith, was just about to go comment on your thread, will try to contribute some shots to it soon as well. :salute: