Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Whats your "Go To" Camera? In any sensor size that is...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Whats your "Go To" Camera? In any sensor size that is...

I have way too many cameras.
    I love the different ways each 'sees' due to lens/sensor/imaging processing.
    But I find there are 1 or 2 I go to if presented with a shot with little warning.
    In my case they are my 2 Fuji's; the F60fd and the S6000fd.
    The former because it is so tiny it can be with me all the time, it has a very sharp lens and the IQ is really quite good.
    The latter I use when taking a camera bag with; it has a quite decent zoom covering 28-300mm so makes a light kit far thats more compact than either my Oly or Pentax with the lenses needed to cover the same range. Further it is dead quiet in use and, while not nearly so fast in AF or shot-to-shot speed as my Oly or Pentax DSLR's, it is incredibly versatile for all that. Plus it uses the same sensor as the cult-hi-ISO-classic-P&S Fuji F30/31 AND does RAW!
    Neither yields true DSLR/Large sensor quality, but they give 80% or better every day with little fuss.
    So what are your choices and why?

Edit; here are links to my sets for each

S6000fd
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/colette...7603977836605/

F60fd
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/colette...7613425397833/
    Last edited by Lili; 27th June 2009 at 00:16.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Whats your "Go To" Camera? In any sensor size that is...

I would say that my "Go To" camera of all times is Ricoh GRDII. I know that I should not expect a DSLR quality from its files, so I do not scrutinize them in actual pixels mode, but the overall success of the camera coupled with its "stealth" amazes me.
    Best,
    Osman

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent Choice, Osman!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Lili, actually I think your choices yield better results than mine. But I think I'm lazy, and I love the way the GRD processes BW. So I just sit back and enjoy.
    Best,
    Osman

Post Thanks / Like

GRD2
    ISO80 hard colour,
    ISO400 B&W sepia,
    ISO200 low contrast low sharpening.
    All set to infinity then flip the macro if I need to focus at all.
    All fine jpg and RAW

Almost impossible not to get a reliable image if there is one there to get.

The Ricoh puts me in a similar mode to my longbow, so intuitive you are hardly conscious of it being in your hand, just see the target/image and begin firing away.
    (My DP1 is more like my heavy warbow, bloody hard to use but hugely satisfying when you manage to get it right )

Post Thanks / Like

Still my GRD....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Any sensor size?
    The P45+ on a Mamiya AFD III with the 150mm 2.8 D lens.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My D-Lux 4.

In some special cases, my G1, but I´m surprised how often I prefer the D-Lux 4...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My M8 - of course! -

Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The DP1......
    finder, screen off, hyper focal distance......

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm with Peter . . it's the M8

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Was the Olympus C-8080w which I picked up for a snip. I say "Was" because my flatmate took it to work to do some shots with and it's still there. She assures me it's a well protected premises locked up and alarmed and if people do break in they won't bother with the camera because there is better stuff to take. So it's safe, even from me. She's even said that she would like to buy it off me, probably for very little. As it is she has it for nothing
    David

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The D80 with Tamron 17-50/2.8 + Nikkor 85/1.8.

Actually, I don't like that camera, neither the ergonomics nor the blown highlights, but I like the size and the detailed RAW files. It will be replaced later this year, either with a K-7 or with whatever Olympus comes up with that compete with the K-7, 4/3 or m4/3.

ddk

I have to say that its my Fuji S5, I have a particular affinity for this camera since day 1 and know that I'll capture what I'm after with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    I have to say that its my Fuji S5, I have a particular affinity for this camera since day 1 and know that I'll capture what I'm after with it.
    I have to say that I agree, but the S5 is big and heavy, and the lenses that work well on the S5 are big and heavy as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

M8.

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

With money on the table, Canon 5D...

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Most of the time, it's my Nikon D300 - but for a small carry-around-always camera, it's my new Fujifilm F200 EXR. Like you, I love how Fujifilm does compact cameras!

Lisa

Oxide Blu

Quote Originally Posted by Lili View Post
    I have way too many cameras.
    That's because you put a greater priority on the technical side of photography, and less on the compositional side. Not good and not bad -- just your choice, just the way it is. That is not to say composition is less important, it means perhaps you look to the hardware to resolve your compositional desires.

Quote Originally Posted by otumay View Post
    I would say that my "Go To" camera of all times is Ricoh GRDII.
    Ditto. Preference is for a full manual SLR and manual lens (Nikon FM3a + Zeiss optics), but 99% of the time it is the Ricoh GRDII that 'walks' with me. Actually, it is with me 100% of the time, even when I am shooting film.

Fwiw, the GRDII replaced an old film Lomo camera that was with me 100% of the time.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

That's because you put a greater priority on the technical side of photography, and less on the compositional side. Not good and not bad -- just your choice, just the way it is. That is not to say composition is less important, it means perhaps you look to the hardware to resolve your compositional desires.

I will grant that since I do go back and forth on gear I spend less 'quality time' learning this craft and more adapting to whatever camera I am using. I have often said I wish I had saved the cash and time spent on differing gear to simply concentrate more on shooting/learning more. Gear does not matter nearly so much as skill and talent, I've found I do my best when the equipment is 'transparent' to me. As it very much is with my Fujis and was with my GRD

Ditto. Preference is for a full manual SLR and manual lens (Nikon FM3a + Zeiss optics), but 99% of the time it is the Ricoh GRDII that 'walks' with me. Actually, it is with me 100% of the time, even when I am shooting film.

Fwiw, the GRDII replaced an old film Lomo camera that was with me 100% of the time.

Good choice, I USED to feel that way about my GRD till the now-solved battery issue came up. Now, however, I have to learn to trust it all over again
    PAX
    Last edited by Lili; 27th June 2009 at 09:52.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i use the rd1 the most.
    if pressed for time or just feeling lazy then the g1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Beings that I have dual personalities.......
    The other guy in my head likes the G9.....

Shooter.... Aka Don ..... Aka yet to be discovered

ddk

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I have to say that I agree, but the S5 is big and heavy, and the lenses that work well on the S5 are big and heavy as well.
    Actually all of the Zeiss primes work great with it and they're pretty compact, specially the 25, 28, 35 and the 50, any of which will do the trick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another for the GRDII.
    Sláinte

Robert.

Post Thanks / Like

The D-Lux4. Mainly because i can stick it in my shirt pocket, and i am out the door without any extra baggage.

Post Thanks / Like

for a long time the d-lux 2. got frustrated with its lowlight performance and switched to the fuji f30. probably still the best lowlight compact. however, realized i stopped wanting to take shots with it. the lens 35 and i love 28 or better. had the d-lux 2 ired and carry it all the time. the ir seems to have improved its lowlight as well.

wayne
    www.pbase.com/wwp

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    Actually all of the Zeiss primes work great with it and they're pretty compact, specially the 25, 28, 35 and the 50, any of which will do the trick.
    Up to 50mm, it look's ok. It's above that I get into trouble, and I do wish the S5 was D80-sized. The difference is considerable, and the Zeiss lenses won't even meter with the D80 (This is the most negative thing I have to say about Nikon, a designed lack of backwards compatibility. All Pentax and Olympus cameras meter with legacy lenses, in addition to adding IS. Heck, Olympus even meters with Nikon and Pentax lenses. Unfortunately, only the E30 and E-3 have viewfinders that are suited for manual focusing.).

I consider buying a 135mm f/2.8 AIS btw., to get a compact telephoto lens for the S5. Any experience with that one? 17-50, 85 and 135mm would be a great "coverall set".

Post Thanks / Like

For me, the G1s are the are the cams that I grab for the best quality/low weight ratio. Other than that, the D-LUX4 and increasingly, the ZS3 for a smaller package. The quality of the images from even the smaller cameras is just so astonishing these days.

Only if I feel that I need the additional range of the larger sensor or the speed do I take my D300s.

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like

If I am going out and dont intend to take images, but I might see something I take the GRD II.

Lately however I have rotated the GRD with my LX3 as more and more I find I have a project in mind that suits the LX3. Now that I have a DP2 its goes along with the LX3 while I learn to use it - complicated isnt it? Occasionally I do a bit of video on the LX3 so both work hand in hand.

Somehow I find two compacts easier to tote than one DSLR. I am becoming more and more interested in the G1, GH1 or E-P1 path though.

Oxide Blu

I will grant that since I do go back and forth on gear I spend less 'quality time' learning this craft and more adapting to whatever camera I am using.
    That is kind of what I was getting at except that I didn't mean to make reference about learning the craft of photography. I meant in my experience a photographer that has a lot of equipment seems to choose the hardware they need to get the image they want (use the right tool for the job), e.g. if you are not close enough, you zoom in or get a longer lens. On the other hand, with few choices and less flexible hardware, if I am not close enough I need to move to get closer. You equipment hounds have the benefit of more creative control -- I have the benefit of more time to drink beer.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oxide Blu View Post
    That is kind of what I was getting at except that I didn't mean to make reference about learning the craft of photography. I meant in my experience a photographer that has a lot of equipment seems to choose the hardware they need to get the image they want (use the right tool for the job), e.g. if you are not close enough, you zoom in or get a longer lens. On the other hand, with few choices and less flexible hardware, if I am not close enough I need to move to get closer. You equipment hounds have the benefit of more creative control -- I have the benefit of more time to drink beer.

Ahhhhh, the Fuji Bridgecam allows that versatility without changing lenses or lugging a big bag about.
    Like this series at the old Dallas Cowboys Stadium
    "No Trespassing under any Circumstances" posted everywhere
    Melancholy memories about to perish

S6000fd at 28mm-e

S6000fd cropped square from 150mm-e
    Actually both shots could have been done easily with say a Fuji F200EXR or Canon G10
    But my 'outdated' S6000 does the job quite well

Faded guard rail in Cowboy blue, desolate parking area, 28mm-e

Roy, my BF, ponders memories of games watched here.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oxide Blu View Post
    Beer is good but I prefer Jack
    And given choice between carrying more gear or drinking beer.....beer wins!

Post Thanks / Like

Even I have the DP1, my GX200 is the more "every day to go Camera". It has been said the GX200 is the "swiss army knife" type of camera. I totally agree.
    The DP1 make better image quality in some cases. The GX200 is close to this quality (if the settings are well), you can use for every purpose (even with converters).

I also have the Fuji F100fd. Nice and good for point&shot even on parties.

Something what u don´t find in any other compact is raw + 180s! and also the superb macro availability: #1=180s, #2= zoommakro (no tripod)
    Last edited by busch63; 28th June 2009 at 04:16.

Post Thanks / Like

The first looks like Externsteine.....
    Hallo Landsmann

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lili, thanks for the inside view......
    on the other thread too...
    don

Post Thanks / Like

For me right now, the take along anywhere always with me camera is my G10
    am

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Don, Thank you.
    BTW, 2 days of using the GRD exclusively, it is back on my 'go to' list.
    Compliments F60fd very well. both in tiny lowepro bags on shoulder strap; easy to carry.
    After work I will post some shots

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

all my cameras now have the same size sensor (FourThirds) so in a rush I just grab whichever one is nearest to me. They all make excellent photos.

HarrisGraeberII

I gave my ex-main digital camera, Fujifilm S6000fd, to my brother before Christmas, and he is still enjoying it.

Photo in San Gabriel Park, Georgetown, TX:

Photo at home in Leander(2007):

Since getting the Nikon D90, my "go-to" digital cameras are still the same; Fuji F50se and J110W, one with IS, one without. Photo from each:

F50se

and

J110W

and

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

SLR-quality pictures. Very, very good.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

... adding to my previous comment ...
    I have three bags always set up and ready to be "grabbed and gone":

- Olympus E-1 plus spare battery, usually with either 14-50/2.8-3.5 on the camera.

- Panasonic L1 plus spare battery, usually with 25/1.4 and 50/2 Macro

- Panasonic G1 plus spare battery, usually with 20/1.7 or 40/1.8 in the bag (one or the other on the camera).

If I don't want to carry a bag, lately the Minox C or EC is in my pocket.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Harris, very very well done!
    Lately i recalled where I was a couple of years ago shooting exclusively with the GRD; one lens, one camera. I sometime miss the 'purity' of those time; making an image work around those limits.
    My GRD is currently of questionable reliability sadly.
    But I still plan a new month long experiment.
    July will be Prime Lens Time for me.
    1- GRD with the 28mm-e
    2- m4/3 Oly E-PL1 with 17mm/35mm-e Pancake
    That is all.

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If I need to use on of my growing collection of legacy lenses I will go to the Pen E-P2 or the Pana G1

But I always carry a compact and the GRD ll has been my favorite, followed by the Canon S-90

But I hope things will change when I receive my GRX P10 today

Keith

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter has been playing alot of softball in tournaments lately. So, my "go to" camera has been the Pana ZS7. Huge zoom range. Excellent image quality. HD video that allows zooming during videotaping, and stays locked on the subject--my kid of course.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nikon D300 DSLR plus an IR-converted D200.

I have a Fujifilm f200 (previously an f30) for the "purse camera", and am now trying to get accustomed to a Panny GH-1 (for the lighter weight & smaller size compared with the Nikons), but I find that I'm usually disappointed with something or other about most photos I take with those. Maybe I just haven't practiced enough with them yet in the various modes to work around their weak points, but I just have trouble getting shots that have good contrast, no blown-out white areas, no overly dark large areas, no blur, low noise, decent color, etc. etc., all simultaneously. The D300/D200 just do it right almost all the time without fussing around. Or maybe I just have more practice with the Nikons; I don't know. In any case, in situations where I care about the results, I just stick with my Nikons.

Lisa

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Lisa, the Pannys do take some practice, all cameras do.
    If you check out the 4/3 forums on this site there are sure to be suggestions on best practice with the this camera.
    The F200EXR is tough act to follow, really. My only complaint with it (and the F70) is the zoom switch, jerky. My former Samsung L85 moved seamless and smooth, not like Flea on crack.
    I analyzed my F200 and F70 shots; virtually all shots are made at the wide or extreme tele ends.
    The glitchy switches are one reason
    Yet another reason the S6000fd with its glorious manual zoom is still my 'goto' camera; all in one and very very good IQ, esp at base ISO.
    Wish Fuji had simply dropped the EXR sensor into that camera!
    BTW my previously announced decision to use just the GRD and E-PL1 is changed.
    Using just the Olympus as the GRD is freezing again and the Battery Demon is back.
    *headdesk*
    Oh well, that does adhere better to the one camera one lens ethos

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wjlapier View Post
    My daughter has been playing alot of softball in tournaments lately. So, my "go to" camera has been the Pana ZS7. Huge zoom range. Excellent image quality. HD video that allows zooming during videotaping, and stays locked on the subject--my kid of course.
    Hi There
    I've been playing around with the leica equivalent - it really is much better than it ought to be with that teenytiny sensor - just as an experiment I printed some 17" shots with the macro, they were absolutely fine. High ISO is a nono (of course), but everything else about the camera is rather lovable.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yet another reason the S6000fd with its glorious manual zoom is still my 'goto' camera; all in one and very very good IQ, esp at base ISO.
    Yeah Yeah - I think it's really sad that the world seems to have abandoned that kind of sensor size - I've not used the camera, but it seems to me to be the logical extension of the Olympus E10 (what a nice camera that was).

Just this guy you know

boyzo

I would take my G1 with 14-45Kit lens for the great EVF and easy setability
    with optional zoom, or the E-p2 with 14-42 for ultimate compactness and relative uobtrusiveness.
    No desire to look like a 5D boy Pro

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Took my Oly E-PL1 with me to work.
    Lovely fairly compact camera.
    Sigh
    Still, a bit much with all the other things I take with.
    Little EXR's have me spoiled
    Ok more pics, less gear!