Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sigma DP1 review photos:

VladimirV

Re: Sigma DP1 review photos:

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Delacour View Post
    Given the choice, I'd upgrade my GRD to a GRD2 rather than buy a DP1 but I'd be interested to learn what other members think...
    I will update my GRD I with a GRD II for the following reasons:

- Controls are much better and more intuitive on the Ricohs and this to me is more important than any IQ advantage.
    - LCD has a slow refresh rate on the DP1 and the build feels cheap and flimsy.
    - Only f4 lens and sometimes even f2.4 and ISO1600 is just nor fast enough.
    - Ability to keep using my add-on lenses from the GRD I.

But what it really comes down to are the controls and feel of the camera, the GRD for me is perfect and it will be difficult to find something that comes close.

You can find a side-by-side comparisson betwen the GRDs and DP1 on my blog. More a report than a review and I did not test or go into the IQ.

But the PopPhoto images are really bad and suffer from camera shake and are very soft. Looking at the 100% crops they looks worse than most compact cameras. Don't think they do the DP1 justice in what it can deliver.

asabet

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Delacour View Post
    This post at Alt Gear & Lenses pointed to PopPhoto.com's First Look at the Sigma DP1, with an accompanying Photo Gallery. The images in this gallery are so disappointing -- as evidenced by the 100% details -- that I'm inclined to blame the photographer rather than the camera. Given the choice, I'd upgrade my GRD to a GRD2 rather than buy a DP1 but I'd be interested to learn what other members think...
    In addition to possible user error during capture (slow shutter speeds, etc), those Pop Photo images were upsized to 14MP (one was actually upsized to 18.6MP). Upscaling is fine, but the results are highly dependent upon the method used. The results from Pop Photo don't look anything like the results Carl Rytterfalk is getting with the DP1.

asabet

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    The funny thing is that I think Sigma still could have made this a successful product in a little bit bigger form factor. Like the size of an old Canonet. I think it didn't need to be completely pocketable it just needed to be significantly smaller than a dslr. But that being said, I have no idea what aspects of the design gave them the biggest problem.
    I too would have preferred a larger camera with fewer compromises, but I think the DP1 will have broader appeal due to the current small form.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

New Sigma DP1 photos with link:

Here are some addtional photos from a new DP1 user:
    http://andrewdavidimages.smugmug.com...VNYf#262577636