The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP1 review photos:

jonoslack

Anyhow, all these are quibbles when you get down to it... the APS-C sized Foveon sensor cuts them a lot of slack!

Kind Regards

Brian
slack? do you mean SLACK?
:ROTFL: - I was playing with one at focus yesterday (sorry to miss you Brian). I'm afraid I wasn't really very impressed, it didn't seem that small (especially with the lens extended), I thought the interface was clunky (especially with the marvels of the LX and d-lux cameras and the ricohs). The images looked fine . . . . but then so do the ones from the others in good light when printed to that size . . .

I do believe in the concept of a smaller camera with a larger sensor, but I think there are too many compromises here - if it worked like a GRD, and was the same size . . . maybe then.

Brian Mosley

Hi Jono, we certainly missed you... as for the DP1, I made a point of asking how likely it would be that Sigma would continue developing the firmware and offering upgrades online. That would be a good way forward, bearing in mind that we can live with the kludgey interface in the short term.

Kind Regards

Brian

J

JohnN

I was also up at FOI on Sunday, I had a good play with the DP1. I must admit the sample prints Sigma had scattered all over the stand shouted excellent colour qualities, if a little over processed.

I did notice the lens had quite a bit more distortion than the GRD II and being a bit cheeky, I put my GRD II alongside it for size comparison. The DP1 lens does protrude more and makes it less pocketable than the GRD II.

I would liked to have grabbed some RAW shots off it but alas the rep wasn't overly happy with my approach. Pity he noticed me at all as all eyes were on the Sigma 200-500.

To conclude (my first post on DPI), I agree the screen wasn't patch on the GRD II, but to be honest the GRD II is better than most, even my dSLRs.

BTW, as a bit of personal challenge, I've decided to take ONLY my GRD II on a citybreak to New York next week, rather than lug the dSLRs around, in order to see how well it stacks up.

Maggie O

BTW, as a bit of personal challenge, I've decided to take ONLY my GRD II on a citybreak to New York next week, rather than lug the dSLRs around, in order to see how well it stacks up.
I did something similar, using only my D-Lux 3 in Berlin, though that was more for the rougher look of the small sensor files. A very worthwhile exercise, to be sure.

V

VladimirV

I'm afraid I wasn't really very impressed, it didn't seem that small (especially with the lens extended), I thought the interface was clunky (especially with the marvels of the LX and d-lux cameras and the ricohs).
Think you came to the same conclusion as I and a friend did while at Focus on Sunday.
Funny thing was that some people were more impressed with the Ricoh GRDs we had lying at the stand while playing with the DP1 than the DP1 itself ;).

My full report is on my blog with pictures (more and larger on my Flickr account).

Stuart Richardson

I took the time last night to print 4 of the Sigma posted samples in 8 x 10 size and I was astonished at the detail and true color of the photos. For any one who doubts this camera please give this a try I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
I should hope so...it is a 14mp APS sized sensor...it should do at least 13x19 without breaking a sweat. But how did the corners look? Because in the samples they looked both soft and cyan-tinted. I would love this camera to be awesome, but given the samples I am a little dubious so far. If you only need 8x10, any normal point and shoot will do.

jonoslack

Think you came to the same conclusion as I and a friend did while at Focus on Sunday.
Funny thing was that some people were more impressed with the Ricoh GRDs we had lying at the stand while playing with the DP1 than the DP1 itself ;).

My full report is on my blog with pictures (more and larger on my Flickr account).
HI Vladimir - excellent report, very much mirrors my opinion. Of course we all want better IQ . . . but if there's one thing that this forum has taught me, it's that the huge depth of field of the small sensor cameras is an asset not to be easily dismissed - any new camera with a larger sensor needs to have something to raise it above the crowd - I'm not sure that this camera does.

bbodine9

I should hope so...it is a 14mp APS sized sensor...it should do at least 13x19 without breaking a sweat. But how did the corners look? Because in the samples they looked both soft and cyan-tinted. I would love this camera to be awesome, but given the samples I am a little dubious so far. If you only need 8x10, any normal point and shoot will do.
The corners looked fine to me and I guess I am not used to such sharpness as my normal camera is the outdated 5mp E-1. Yes I do agree if I could have printed 13 x 19 they would have looked great, just don't have that printer size available at the homestead. My normal printing process is to use either Lightroom (which is in a funk right now, grrr) or Qimage in TIFF format. I am not going to sell this camera short until I can get one in my hands as so many of you were able to do, but for me the IQ based on the samples is exceptional.

A

asabet

As new ones come up, I've been linking to DP1 samples from my blog. Some of the latest ones are from a model shoot via DC Watch found here.

I continue to be very impressed.

Will

I was going to buy one anyway so I'm just glad the image quality seems to be so good.

A

asabet

There's a lot of what the RFF gang would call "scary bokeh" in the first photo.
I think the bokeh is fair in that photo. There is definitely some coma and a bit of bright edge, but I've seen much, much worse. I wouldn't call this scary.

Stuart Richardson

I'm really the only one who sees (or cares about) the quite apparent cyan vignetting in these files, huh? The color on center is beautiful, but look at that first photo -- the flagstones are greyish brown in the center and quite a greenish grey in the lower left corner. And the kids jacket is a warm grey on his the left shoulder (our left) and a very greenish grey on the right shoulder...this is not just being in shadow, it is strong cyan vignetting. There is no excuse for this given that it is a fixed lens camera -- that is something that should be taken care of in firmware. It would be really easy too.

Will

I'm really the only one who sees (or cares about) the quite apparent cyan vignetting in these files, huh? The color on center is beautiful, but look at that first photo -- the flagstones are greyish brown in the center and quite a greenish grey in the lower left corner. And the kids jacket is a warm grey on his the left shoulder (our left) and a very greenish grey on the right shoulder...this is not just being in shadow, it is strong cyan vignetting. There is no excuse for this given that it is a fixed lens camera -- that is something that should be taken care of in firmware. It would be really easy too.
I'm not entirely sure it is all that bad judging from these pictures. There are shadows and reflections from a greenish glass on the shop front. Also paving stones do get unevenly worn when they are next to a wall or window and in one picture they are a block of only four grey slabs against a wall. I spend a lot of time at work having public realm hard landscaping re done because of uneven colouring of the materials used. I'm not saying your wrong, just that I'd like to see more convincing evidence.

can you see any in this one?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rytterfalk/2301611297/sizes/l/

Maggie O

I don't see any, Will. But I didn't really see any in those other photos, either. That might just be that I don't know what I'm looking for, you know? The cyan vignetting from uncoded lenses on the M8 is pretty extreme, so my personal calibration for such things might be off after looking at my files. This is the sort of thing I was looking for: