The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GRDI and GRDII B&W images

Will

Following on from a comment by sizifo about still preferring GRDI over the GRDII for B&W jpgs I decided to start this thread. In camera sepia tone jpgs also welcome.

Sculptors presenting their submissions for a new piece for the Harlow Town collection.

All GRDI

sizifo

This is a very good idea for a thread Will, as it will enable comparison side by side, amongst other things. Just one thing though - my comment was regarding raw, not only jpeg. Jpeg on the GRDII cannot be taken seriously anyway.

Will

There I go jumping to conclusions!
OK, anything B&W from a GRDI or II (but the sepia jpgs would be interesting I think)

sizifo

I like these two. Especially the second.

Forgive me for reposting the london thunderstorm photos.

GRD I

vs.

GRD II

And the subsequent poetic description :) of the differences between GRDI and GRDII I made in the other thread:

"While the II has more pixels, it also has more crapixels than the I . As a result, the images have more resolution, but also have more of the cardboard cutout feel of small sensor. This can be good or bad, depending on the image, but the tonality of GRDI is definitely superior.

I think this is a general trend, and the reason why the tonality of very old small sensor cameras often beats the new ones (e.g. as was arguably obvious in the recent olympus thread here).

The problem I have is that the GRDII is just about the perfect camera as far as UI, whereas GRDI can be annoying in some respects."

***The term "crapixel" is due to the awesome John C. Dvorak http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_C._Dvorak

Lili

Sizifo,
Excellent storm captures!
I got some today at lunch as well, will post after work :)

helenhill

Missed my GRD 1 &2
I no longer have any Digital cams :(
but have an opportunity to get a GX100 from a friend
(love the concept of 24-72mm & a pocket ricoh again!!!)
so heres a few from the Past grd2....

Last edited:

Lili

David, lovely, spontaneous portrait

Helen like those as well, I should miss the GRD terribly were it gone :(

V

VladimirV

Some comparison images from me.

GRD I

GRD I Sepia

GRD II RAW

sizifo

Many photos here are excellent. The second and last one are great VladimirV.

I thought this recent one, GRDI raw, exemplifies a situation which the GRDII would handle quite differently.

Will

Another factor is that I find that I go for a different look with the images from each camera, so the difference is also in the approach they encourage you to take.

GRDI

GRDII