Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I see you!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I see you!

Small Change peeking at me

Shot with a Finepix S600fd I got Saturday. It was on clearance and has the same sensor as the notorious F30/31fd.
    However you can control sharpening with this and shoot RAW.
    Plus, unlike my S5200, it has a manual zoom ring.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms6000fd/
    Last edited by Lili; 24th February 2008 at 17:18.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: I see you!

Hee, hee. Great cat photo. (I have one myself. =^..^=)

I have an F30, and it has a damn fine sensor for its size. My only real complaints about the camera are a lack of histograms and RAW mode. You got me all excited mentioning your Fujifilm camera with RAW, until I saw the part on dpreview about its size and weight. I have the F30 because it's small enough to fit in my purse when I'm not carrying the whole DSLR, but the S600fd is unfortunately too large for that. Oh, well.

Cute cat.

Lisa

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hej, Small Change!

Lookin' good!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Maggie, Small Change says- MEOW! back ^_^

Lisa-Thanks. I did not mean to advise getting this camera as an alternative to the F30/31 series.
    I'd gotten such good results from my S5200 "Superzoom" that I wanted to try the whole bridgecamera thing out with a larger and later generation sensor.
    Plus, since my Pentax is going in for warranty work (I hope) for a big green hot pixel near dead center in the field, I thought it might be nice to have this one for those time I need to reach out.
    These cameras, despite being almost as big as a DSLR, tend to be quite a bit lighter and easier to carry. Especially when you consider it covers a 28-300 EFL (38-380 in the case of the S5200) then the portability/weight advantages do become greater.
    In the case of the S6000, the manual zoom ring makes it a lot faster operating.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lovely shot of Small Change looking Serious but SWEEEEET!!
    Your new finepix is just like the F30 /shoots RAW ...Tres Cool
    So if I remember there supposed to do GREAT in Low light .....How is it ?
    Cheers! helen

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
    Lovely shot of Small Change looking Serious but SWEEEEET!!
    Your new finepix is just like the F30 /shoots RAW ...Tres Cool
    So if I remember there supposed to do GREAT in Low light .....How is it ?
    Cheers! helen
    Helen, thank you
    It uses the same sensor as the F30, just in a larger Superzoom/EVF style body.
    It does quite well up to ISO 800, at 1600 and 3200 the noise reduction in much stronger than the F30, getting smeary but not so bad as most of its peers.
    My former F31 was quite a bit better at the highest end.
    However, using RAW and S7RAW to convert it to JPEG I can get better results that even the F31fd.
    Its RAW write times are comparable to those reported for the GX-100 depending on the speed of the XD card- type M giving 6-7 seconds and type H 4 seconds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I have a question for y'all since many of you seem pretty knowledgeable about "portable" cameras.

A little over a year ago when I decided to get back into photography, I purchased a Canon S70 since it was one of the few P+S cameras that offered RAW. I bought it with the idea that I would use it to familiarize myself with RAW and then pass it along to my wife to use as her carry around camera.

It wasn't a bad plan, except that my wife kind of hates the thing. The only other digital she'd used (and really liked) was the old Nikon 990 I have. I need to replace that S70 with something she'll like better.

She wants a viewfinder since she dislikes looking at the LCD. Beyond that, her needs are pretty simple. Basically, she's after effortless. I've been considering the Canon G9 but so many other cameras get mentioned here, I'm wondering if I should also look at any others. Many of the finer points offered by cameras like the GRD would be wasted.

I know the question of "which point and shoot" is almost as ubiquitous as "which camera bag", but I would really appreciate any suggestions based on your experience.

Thanks!
    Tim

P.S. The Canon S70 will be up for sale soon.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

TR,
    Compact Digital Cameras with a decent optical view finder are VERY few and far between! So this is tough one to answer.
    Does it have to be Compact?
    How much, if any control are you wanting?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was afraid of that. I think she'd like to feel confident just pushing the button. She hasn't been bitten by the photography bug and is quite comfortable in the snapshooting mode. I tend to overlay my own desires for a camera (of any kind) and that's skewing things maybe.

In addition to competent shooting for most scenes, people, groups, she does like to do close-ups of her gardening successes. But she's not a fiddler and would be frustrated with lots of menu or manual settings. It sounds crazy, but I think she'd be happy with almost any camera as long as the viewfinder was there and fairly accurate.

Thanks for your patience with this!
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I understand about wanting a viewfinder. I still sometimes, when getting out the F30 or being handed another digicam by someone, put it up to my eye and then wonder for a moment why I'm not seeing anything... Though I'm a little surprised she hasn't just gotten accustomed to using the LCD with a little practice.

Have you thought about a small rangefinder camera for her? I don't know much about them, but I believe there are some very good ones out there,and they have good viewfinders. They might not have enough auto-everything controls, however; you'd have to research them.

Lisa

Post Thanks / Like

You can do a search here and select optical viewfinders, but they're almost all Canons.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post

She wants a viewfinder since she dislikes looking at the LCD. Beyond that, her needs are pretty simple. Basically, she's after effortless.
    Thanks!
    Tim
    Would she accept an electronic viewfinder? Or a bridge camera?
    Sláinte

Robert.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Campbell View Post
    I'm not 100% sure of what either of those are. I can imagine the electronic viewfinder, but I've never heard the term "bridge camera". Can you explain? Thanks!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Campbell View Post
    That is exactly where I was going. If she could live with a slightly bigger camera there are several Canon and Fuji bridgcams that have EVF's and full auto settings and extremely decent macro

Bridge Camera defined
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridge_camera

EVF is an eye level lcd/tft display behind a magnifier

Fuji
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms8000fd/

Canon
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons5is/

The one I just bought

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms6000fd/
    Last edited by Lili; 25th February 2008 at 08:51.

Post Thanks / Like

I have always understood a bridge camera to be one that bridges the gap between a DSLR and a consumer camera. Another term for prosumer cameras.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK, now I get it. Thanks for the clarification. I'm thinking the bridge is going to be larger than what she wants to carry. I'm not sure about the electronic viewfinder and would want to see one before committing.

Sean Reid's review of the G9 wasn't all that favorable in terms of the accuracy of the viewfinder.

It's kind of amazing that with the bazillions of P&S cameras made, there doesn't seem to be a clear standout (or 2 or 3 or...). So many menu options and so many of those mostly forgotten a few days after the purchase by the average snap shooter.

Did I see some discussion somewhere here about a small camera that has a manual zoom?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, now I get it. Thanks for the clarification. I'm thinking the bridge is going to be larger than what she wants to carry. I'm not sure about the electronic viewfinder and would want to see one before committing.

Sean Reid's review of the G9 wasn't all that favorable in terms of the accuracy of the viewfinder.

It's kind of amazing that with the bazillions of P&S cameras made, there doesn't seem to be a clear standout (or 2 or 3 or...). So many menu options and so many of those mostly forgotten a few days after the purchase by the average snap shooter.

Did I see some discussion somewhere here about a small camera that has a manual zoom?
    I believe Sean mentioned the Canon Powershot G2 his daughter used had one.
    They are olderr cameras, ca. 2001.
    You can find them on the 'bay or even through Amazon.
    Again, older/used cameras; caveat emptor

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think anyone makes a camera with an accurate built-in viewfinder. Even the M8 seems to be a bit sketchy (though I've not had any problems).

I bet your wife would be very happy with any of the Canon cameras. All I had from 2000 to last year were Canon digital Elphs (first the original S100 and then an SD500) and they did the job.

My friend Jamie has a Canon PowerShot A650 IS and he likes it quite a bit. He wanted a D-Lux 3, but his wife hates LCD's, too.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post
    I don't think anyone makes a camera with an accurate built-in viewfinder. Even the M8 seems to be a bit sketchy (though I've not had any problems).

I bet your wife would be very happy with any of the Canon cameras. All I had from 2000 to last year were Canon digital Elphs (first the original S100 and then an SD500) and they did the job.

My friend Jamie has a Canon PowerShot A650 IS and he likes it quite a bit. He wanted a D-Lux 3, but his wife hates LCD's, too.
    I agree complete with Maggie here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cool! Thanks for the ideas. I've got some shopping to do.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Did you consider getting an older camera? I was a big fan of the Nikon Coolpix 5000 5400. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp5400/. It had a relatively ok viewfinder, the awesome swiveling screen, and a good macro. And the 5400 has raw.
    The disadvantage compared to current cameras is definitely the responsiveness, although I didn't think it was that bad at the time.

Only 5 megapixels, but there is something to be said in favor of cramming less pixels onto the sensor. I still very much like the photos from this camera. Could post some examples if you're interested.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks sizifo. I still have my Nikon 990 which at 3 MP still takes a nice photo. Buying used adds another thousand (exaggeration) alternatives to the decision.

[*aside* There was a study awhile ago about buyer's satisfaction that concluded buyers with extremely high expectations were often less happy with their purchases, even though their choice might be considered the "best" available. In fact, some extremely thorough and analytical shoppers became downright depressed when their choices disappointed them in some way. It's winter here, so I need to fend off depression in all its forms. This will hopefully be a rather quick decision.]

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

[*aside* There was a study awhile ago about buyer's satisfaction that concluded buyers with extremely high expectations were often less happy with their purchases, even though their choice might be considered the "best" available. In fact, some extremely thorough and analytical shoppers became downright depressed when their choices disappointed them in some way.
    I think you just described 99% of the posters at the Leica User Forum!

Thankfully, I'm not one of them. Every day, I get up and am just thrilled to be able to use my M8 and my Voigtländer lenses!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post
    I think you just described 99% of the posters at the Leica User Forum!

Thankfully, I'm not one of them. Every day, I get up and am just thrilled to be able to use my M8 and my Voigtländer lenses!
    Hey, me too!

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So is the 1 percent Happy group.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I still think something is wrong though. See i have this issue every morning when I pack my bags to go shoot a job. I just don't seem to have all that much gear inside my little Domke F803 bag. It just kills me knowing it's in a small bag.

Oh wait it's supposed to be like that.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Decided to Channel Cindy Sherman a bit and try a self-portrait,

Fuji Finepix S6000fd
    Last edited by Lili; 29th February 2008 at 05:55.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I love the framing with the bra and breast what is bugging me though is the neckless that the strap crosses over. There is such a nice flow going and that stops it visually.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay and damnit i am having a hard time turning the page , okay i admit it been sick for too many weeks.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I love the framing with the bra and breast what is bugging me though is the neckless that the strap crosses over. There is such a nice flow going and that stops it visually.
    Guy, thank you. You mean the fact the cord was twisted or the arrangement of the cord itself?
    I can alway reshoot this

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay and damnit i am having a hard time turning the page , okay i admit it been sick for too many weeks.
    Heheheheh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lili View Post
    Guy, thank you. You mean the fact the cord was twisted or the arrangement of the cord itself?
    I can alway reshoot this
    Twisted over

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Twisted over
    Guy I will reshoot this tonight then, easliy fixed

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tip, I mean this sincerely . Follow your breast line to match your curves. When your doing macro or very tight work , composition is even more key

Post Thanks / Like

I sense a new series is in order.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually I think she should do a new series in this area. You can learn a ton by working in close like this. Light and shadow become even more important and composition needs to tighten up. You learn by experimenting. I did lot's of body parts ( clean) when i started out years ago. Look at some of the great nude shooters . There lighting is amazing

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice wings! And nice photo as well. I've noticed wings in some of your other photos... is there something special about them for you?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Tip, I mean this sincerely . Follow your breast line to match your curves. When your doing macro or very tight work , composition is even more key
    Good advise, Guy, I will apply it

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Gromitspapa, and Guy,
    I will start a new series, thanks for the suggestion. This shot was just a case of feelng playful, but I think I want explore more

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice wings! And nice photo as well. I've noticed wings in some of your other photos... is there something special about them for you?

A lot of my jewelry has a wing motif as you have observed. Much of it is Egyptian inspired.
    What can i say, I like to fly?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What jewelry?

???
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Was there jewelry? I'll have to look again, I must have missed it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

By the way this is an area where Small Sensor Cameras can really shine with their increased depth-of-field and live-preview with larger LCD's (here the S6000fd does really well, the LCD is big and very very bright and clear) make this type of work much easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Holy macro!

wbrandsma

Have been sick this week, but feeling much better now!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wbrandsma View Post
    Have been sick this week, but feeling much better now!
    HUGZ< hope it was not that horrible flu

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lili 12 days and it still is there. Never knew I could be still sick this long. Okay 51 years sick in the head i can deal with but the flu bug just flat out sucks. I'm heading for a 4 day shoot in Tucson Sunday at a swanky resort. Gotta love getting paid to play. LOL

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Guy a couple of weeks ago I was sick for a week. 5 days of 101+ degree fever.
    That with taking Tamiflu and all.
    Lost almost 15 pounds.
    Fever and no appetite

HUGZ to you too

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Dear the good news is I lost almost 23 pounds. I'm actually looking pretty good again. So there is a silver lining I guess.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dear the good news is I lost almost 23 pounds. I'm actually looking pretty good again. So there is a silver lining I guess.
    Silver lining, yes. But a very rough way to do it!